Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 5:52 AM Last edited by vllygrl : 8th Jan 2018 at 5:42 AM. Reason: Solved?

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Help! Camera randomly zooming out?! Solved - I think!
Please help me! I cannot play my game because of this problem - without warning, and over and over again, the camera suddenly zooms out and sometimes spins 90 degrees as well, both in the neighbourhood and in lots. I have tried updating drivers, removing camera mods, tried different camera mods, twiddled settings, etc. and searched the internet for clues for weeks, but no luck.
Suggestions welcome!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 6:38 AM
Moving to help.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 4:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Moving to help.

Thanks Jo!

The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 5:02 PM
i think i had this problem,i just clicked control alt delete went back into the game and it was fine well it still happened i think

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 11:33 PM
Hmmm.... thanks, Emerald, I'll try this and see what happens.

Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 5:48 AM
Have now tried two more things to fix the problem; first I tried several different compatibility settings, then I removed the sims 2 file and restarted the game to regenerate a new file. Still no luck and still getting the spin/zoom out problem even in fresh neighbourhoods with no cc! Any other suggestions? I may have to reinstall -- gah!!!

Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 4:36 PM
This is kind of a long shot, but is everything okay with your keyboard and mouse? Do you have problems with other programs?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 9:50 PM
I doubt reinstalling will help, not unless you did something to your installation files. I would suspect more your computer, did it do some update to anything?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 2:20 AM
@Vladora, thanks -- that is a very good suggestion and one of the first things I did check, ---
mouse (tried several other mice) and keyboard; the strange thing is that there are absolutely no other issues with any other aspect of my computer (which, without boring you to death by posting all the specs, is certainly powerful enough to handle anything I throw at it). In spite of the fact that I do have windows 8.1, I was able to get Sims 2 up and running with only a few tantrums on my part and my computer's part, and have been running it quite smoothly for a good couple of years at this point with no problems. That is why this is so mystifying and frustrating!

@Jo, thank you for your input -- the LAST thing I want to do is reinstall, so your reassurance is great and a relief to hear!

The only real clue I have is that this problem occurred immediately after loading 3 families into my game. These families each came on a separate lot which had to be placed in the hood and then extracted from the Sims2Pack file and installed; visit the family then save and return to the neighbourhood; then move the family to the sim bin via the "move family". This SHOULD not have caused the problem, but as I say, it's the only real clue I have.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 2:48 AM
Okay, that last bit sounds odd and frankly hood corrupting, you installed 3 occupied lots? No, not a good idea, ever. Can you show me a link. Sims should only ever be made in Bodyshop and packaged or if they come from a game, they should be extracted with simPE, cloned in bodyshop and again the body shop package uploaded.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 3:49 AM
Thanks Jo, I have pm'd you.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 7:17 AM
Well that doesn't sound like the issue.

Have you tried holding down the middle mouse button and rotating in the opposite direction to see if it can be reset? Since it continues with a new folder it sounds like something is stuck/wrong with your computer.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 3:46 PM
Thanks for that suggestion, Jo, I will try that next. May not be able to try for a while because we are going away for the holidays today, but will try it and get back to you. Merry Christmas!

Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 4:22 AM Last edited by vllygrl : 14th Apr 2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Didn't find Solution
Default Solved maybe?
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Well that doesn't sound like the issue.

Have you tried holding down the middle mouse button and rotating in the opposite direction to see if it can be reset? Since it continues with a new folder it sounds like something is stuck/wrong with your computer.

Just getting back to you after Christmas holidays, Jo: I tried your suggestion and it doesn't seem to solve the problem. I am coming to the same conclusion, that something is wrong with my computer, but the weird thing is that nothing else is acting up in any way -- it is only this strange glitch with the game camera. Today I tried a new battery in my mouse, next I am going to update my mouse driver and see if that helps.

Edit to Add: New battery didn't seem to make a difference, drivers were up to date, so tried tweaking the vertical and horizontal scrolling on the mouse through the control panel settings and that seems to have done the trick so far....

Sadly, it didn't last -- back to the drawing board!

Well, looks like the solution was a new mouse!

Edit to Add: No, the mouse was not the problem, nor was it in the control panel settings. I found this obscure mention somewhere on the ether that mentioned camera problems occurring from corrupted thumbnails - I tried deleting all the thumbnails and that fixed it - camera running fine again and has continued to do so to date (April 2018).