Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 9:56 PM Last edited by SuperFly : 20th Dec 2005 at 2:24 PM.
Default Picture Tutorial- a beginner’s guide to linking custom reward objects to careers
Good day all fellow and prospective career creators. Recently I have started linking custom rewards into my careers, and some people have been asking how it is done. Normally I link them to Psion's tutorial, but that isn't very user friendly- it took me weeks to work out how it was done. So, I decided to create a user friendly picture tutorial to help anyone interested in branching out with their careers.

Important notes- Unlike most stuff on Mod the Sims, you'll require an OLD version of SimPE (one without the new gui). I got mine here- http://sourceforge.net/project/show...group_id=133134. I use version 0.38c alpha.

Hacked objects and meshes can be used as career rewards. If you do not use your own objects, ALWAYS seek a creator’s permission to use their object. All the meshers I've contacted have been very polite and generous- treat others as you wish to be treated.

Before you begin, note down the full guids of both the object you plan on making a reward object, and your career. This will make your job much easier later on.

Making an ordinary object a reward object

Step 1

Open up your object and go to object data. Click on the file that presents itself to you.

Step 2

Click on Byte Editor

Step 3

Don't be freaked out now! Follow 6 simple steps

1. Set mode to Decimal
2. In the Offset box type in 144
3. Click Go
4. In the Word box type 2048
5. Click Go
6. Commit and exit

Step 4

Check to see if this has worked. Save, click on another file and go back to object data- this allows SimPE to register that something in Object Data has been changed.

Done? Go to uncompressed data, and click on the box to the right of box 0x00000090- check the values indicated in the picture are correct. If so, the object has now been flagged as a reward object, but is not yet linked to a career. If not, you'll need to start again.

Linking a career to a reward object

Step 1

Another Byte Editor job...

1. Set mode to Hexadecimal
2. In the Offset box, type in 0xA8
3. Click Go
4. In the DWord box type in your career's guid.
5. Click Go
6. Commit and close

Step 2

Time to check and see if it's worked... Again, save, click on another file and go back to object data before pressing on...

Go to uncompressed data, type in 0xAB, then click Go To. Check the picture for confirmation.

If your guid isn't showing up, try again from the beginning. if it works, congratulations The next step is to link the reward to the career.

Linking a reward object to a career

Step 1

Open up your career, go to Behavior Function, then go to CT- Career Reward

Step 2

Click on the third file down

Step 3

This is the most difficult step in the procedure, so pay attention!

The boxes you are interested in are highlighted- red, blue, green and orange. Imagine your guid is 0x000B9A59

00- this would go in the red box
0B- this would go in the blue box
9A- this would go in the green box
59- this would go in the orange box.

If you have any other guid, follow this pattern of inputting information.

and there we are- a linked reward object and career I hope you find this useful, and if you have any problems, post them up here

SuperFly

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 9:50 PM
Thanks for that! Your tuturials are a BIG help for beginners like me!

One question though, and probably a silly one: do you need the object in the downloads folder along with the career for it to show up in the game? Or does it just 'appear' like regular career rewards?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 9:58 PM
Devilfish, you will need the object you've used in your downloads folder for it to appear. The normal reward objects are somehow ingrained into the game (doubtlessly someone vastly more intelligent user than I would know how) so they are not needed in the downloads folder

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Jan 2006 at 10:07 PM Last edited by Devilfish : 28th Jan 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Ah, I see. I'm just worried about the rewards showing up in buy mode, that'd be lame.

Another thing: I made a career using SimPE 0.50 and bidou's career editor, with the science career as a base, then followed this tutorial. The custom object shows up in the list of career rewards in-game, but my sim always gets the Biotech Station and I can't change that in the career editor. I tried selecting 'Unknown' as a career reward, but it always jumps back to the Biotech Station. Any ideas?
Test Subject
#5 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 5:08 PM
Originaly posted by superfly: { Important notes- Unlike most stuff on Mod the Sims, you'll require an OLD version of SimPE (one without the new gui). }

I have the new version of SimPE, does that mean that i cannot make custom career rewards, and if so do you know why?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Jan 2006 at 8:59 PM
Devilfish- If you've created a new object, then it won't appear as a normal build mode object, so long as it's been flagged correctly.

The reverting of career reward objects is something to live with. Since I'm the only person who uses reward objects, little research is being done, but no matter. Simply link the reward object in after completing the descriptions, chance cards, etc. in teh editor

Mariam- You can create new objects with SimPE version .52, but you cannot link in new objects with the new version. You will require an older version to do this.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Jan 2006 at 3:49 PM
Thanks for clearing that up! Keep making these tutorials and I'll keep using them. They're good
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 2:45 PM
i've done it but every time i get to the level which unlocks the reward, it always unlocks the biology object, what's going on?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 2:56 PM
Laigonaz, try linking the object, then immedietly test it in the game without opening bidou's editor. If that doesn't work, post the files here and I can chack them out.

SuperFly

Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Feb 2006 at 7:19 PM
You are awsome SuperFly, can't wait to get my new career to a point which I can test this new tutorial out. Thanks for all your help!

Johnny Boy
#11 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 11:45 PM
Where do I find the OLD verision (0.38c alpha) ?
I can't find any older verision than 0.53 ...

I have verision 0.53 but the pictures was very different,
so I did'nt understand how to do this...
Part-time Hermit
#12 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 6:13 AM
You can download older versions of SimPE here.
Test Subject
#13 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 3:32 PM
Could someone tell me how to install simPE? ive jsut got 0.38 and i extracted it and all i see is a load of icons, and one does say simPE, and i clicked on that but the 'application failed to initiate'...anyone help?
Test Subject
#14 Old 19th Apr 2006 at 4:38 PM
I Want To Make Objects
Part-time Hermit
#15 Old 19th Apr 2006 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HRAKLHS
I Want To Make Objects

Take a look at the Object Creation & Texturing forum, there is a whole section for object making tutorials.
Test Subject
#16 Old 20th Apr 2006 at 2:00 AM
I can't install that version of SimPE. Whenever I try to get WinRAR or whatever it says I have to buy it. Is this true? Or did you guys get it for free?

Nothing.
Part-time Hermit
#17 Old 20th Apr 2006 at 7:09 AM
Th trial version is free and you can download one here. After the trial runs out, you can still keep using it, there will just be a window that pops up every time you open a rar archive and you need to click "agree" or something similar, and it'll still work.
Test Subject
#18 Old 13th May 2006 at 6:07 AM
wheres the objects data?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th May 2006 at 8:48 PM
You mean on the SimPE screen? If so, look at my first picture from the tutorial- it shows you where it is in reference to the SimPE screen.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 29th May 2006 at 12:52 PM
There aint no 0.38c so since i dont come in this forum much if you reply can you pm me? thank you
Part-time Hermit
#21 Old 29th May 2006 at 2:22 PM
There is version 0.38c available in the link that's posted in the first post. When you go to that page, click on "View older releases from the SimPE binary package " and you'll find it.
Test Subject
#22 Old 11th Jun 2006 at 3:17 PM Last edited by SuperFly : 11th Jun 2006 at 4:48 PM. Reason: There is a MTS2 shortage of exclamation marks you know...
whenever i click on the object data folder and try to click on the object data it says that i have a bad error and i can either quit or still stay, so i stayed but i cant use the byte editor, why not?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Jun 2006 at 4:49 PM
Try using a different career package.

Test Subject
#24 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 1:16 PM
I have folloved your instructions exacly but with my object. It comes up with my object under the law career and it wont unlock in mine.
Test Subject
#25 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 8:02 PM
I have gone to the link you provided to get the correct version of SimPE but it's not there - Which one should I use?
Page 1 of 2