Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#2026 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 3:23 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 9th Jun 2017 at 2:04 PM. Reason: Spelling!
It's the long gabled roof flattened all the way down, since my other porches weren't coming out right.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Advertisement
Space Pony
#2027 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 3:43 AM Last edited by Kukamuukaanmuka : 9th Jun 2017 at 3:19 PM. Reason: adding the price-pic
Default ROUND 4 - Elliot, NO CC
THE SCARY TRIANGLE!!!! oh well I was not scared at this time as I looked here with my phone (not logged in with phone) and saw the @ so I was prepaired

Here we go, the family I wanted so much to do first, ended up doing it for last.

(Craftables used: pottery at study and livingroom endtable, all blue curtains and the photoboothpicture at the office, and that wallhanging-thingy from sewingmachine, at the wall in Jane's room)
RANDOM object : the chair, showing at the office pic, if not correct I will replace it.

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Top Secret Researcher
#2028 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 3:50 AM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 9th Jun 2017 at 4:04 AM.
Kukamuukaanmuka, we had the exact same idea, LOL! You'll see what I mean tomorrow. I don't have the energy for pics tonight. Excellent home though, it's so pretty!

EDIT: Is it too late to resign?! Haha, you all really brought your A-games with the 80k budget. Good gravy!
Good job EVERYONE, the lots are all lovely, and I hope you decide to upload them.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#2029 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 6:23 AM Last edited by justJones : 9th Jun 2017 at 7:50 PM.
Default Round 4 - The Lambert Family
Lambert Family
Lots of CC used
Required Object: the kids painting, in the tree house. Last two pics under "other pics" spoiler.

Lot was fully and thoroughly playtested. Everything works. Potty chair and the boys beds and toy box in particular were things I checked.

For now, I don't feel like adding a story, might before the deadline though.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2030 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 6:49 AM
Thanks guys, just four left. If you can't make it in time you still can enter, just that late entries receive a -1 point per day over.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#2031 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 7:26 AM
I've been lurking here the past week or so and I have to tell you all that I am BLOWN AWAY by the talent in this thread!

I'm not much of a builder. My houses are usually boxy and boring, designed more for the ease of maneuvering my Sims that for beauty and aesthetics. Also, I tend to leave my landscaping very sparse because I hate the weeds that come after watering plants. Now I see Sim home building in a totally new and beautiful light. And I plan to lurk in the upcoming landscaping contest as well. ;-)
Mad Poster
#2032 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 7:35 AM
Everybody builds boxy, boring houses to begin with, except for the people who do absurd mansions.You get good the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice! The foundations are all still up for download - why not grab them and try your hand?

Don't worry if you find yourself copying things you've seen here. Copying is an important component of learning. As you master the basic skills and gain confidence, you'll find your style and grow into originality.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2033 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:29 AM
I'm loving all the latest entries - keep them coming!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Top Secret Researcher
#2034 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:45 AM Last edited by Goldenbtrfly : 9th Jun 2017 at 4:41 PM. Reason: changed photos
Default Round 4 - Elliott [No CC Used]
Here is my entry for round four, the Elliotts. The idea of a single parent and child seemed fun for the budget, so maybe I could splurge a bit on furnishings. The required item (office chair) is in picture 17. No, I didn't confuse the families. I wanted the child to have some play equipment in addition to dance and butterfly catching. It will certainly come in handy for if the Lambert boys stop by for a play-date!

Mad Poster
#2035 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 2:37 PM
Good thing I took care of my lot the best I could before I left. Things are utter chaos here, and unfortunately in this case, real life is really pulling rank over my relaxation time. By the time this is all sorted out, I might have maybe an hour to check the lot if I'm lucky ... and that's if things are finally getting sorted.

Pretty, pretty lots since last night with all sorts of interesting touches. It's great to see many of the missing entrants in, and perhaps we'll see the others slip in under the bell.

One question, though ... I thought the foundation was going to be posted in three days from today? Or did I miss something? It's not being posted today, is it? The good news for me is that in any case, it appears I'll lose only one or two days this round instead of the four or more days from each time period of the previous two rounds. The extra time to work on the last lot going to feel utterly luxurious this last round!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#2036 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 3:57 PM
I slightly edited my entry It’s not a very significant change, I just swapped the fridge and the stove, so maybe the judge who always says in the comment she’d swap them will like the kitchen this time I updated the kitchen picture and the floor plan, the rest didn’t need to be changed.

I like the new entries too And I wouldn’t say that Ellu’s and Goldenbtrfy’s entries are very alike, especially given that they’re not similar outside at all.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Top Secret Researcher
#2037 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 4:44 PM
Had to update my entry as well.

LOL, no Voeille, I meant that we had the same idea when it came to using the Mysterious bookcase to hide our hidden office space. I just found that bit funny. :D
Scholar
#2038 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 4:58 PM
Oh OK then, I did notice the bookcase but I thought you meant more than that

Simblr
Field Researcher
#2039 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 6:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
Lambert Family
Lots of CC used
Required Object: the kids painting, in the tree house. Last two pics under "other pics" spoiler.

Lot was fully and thoroughly playtested. Everything works. Potty chair and the boys beds and toy box in particular were things I checked.

For now, I don't feel like adding a story, might before the deadline though.

Please upload this!!! Love, love, love!
Link Ninja
#2040 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
I've been lurking here the past week or so and I have to tell you all that I am BLOWN AWAY by the talent in this thread!

I'm not much of a builder. My houses are usually boxy and boring, designed more for the ease of maneuvering my Sims that for beauty and aesthetics. Also, I tend to leave my landscaping very sparse because I hate the weeds that come after watering plants. Now I see Sim home building in a totally new and beautiful light. And I plan to lurk in the upcoming landscaping contest as well. ;-)

If you like to see more amazing build skills I suggest looking into some of the past few building-oriented contests tables/threads like urban renovation, monopoly town, build-a-resort, and campus constructors

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#2041 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 7:39 PM
@koololdster, I'd have to rebuild it, as I didn't save a copy before I moved sims in, because I normally don't upload lots with so much cc. I will consider building a very, very, similar lot for upload (probably without the diagonal corner and maybe just a tile or two more width but the same furnishings).
Mad Poster
#2042 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 8:50 PM Last edited by gazania : 9th Jun 2017 at 9:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa

I am the voice of dissent about boxy lots. There is nothing wrong with the box. Look at real-life lot plans. Many are boxy and basic. You can especially notice this with older houses. If you look at a traditional shotgun house, for instance, it's a row of boxes with a hallway and doors on each end. Poorer people did not have the luxury of fancy layouts. Many Maxis houses are boxy wonders.

Ease of maneuvering is key. Who wants stompy Sims? They are annoying.

For private use, boxy is fine, if that's what you determine your Sims need. However, if you're showing a house off, uploading it, or entering a contest ...

The good news is that I'm finally done with my real-life house. The bad news is that someone needs the computer with my game on it for something very urgent and important, so I will have barely any time to check my lot before the deadline, if I can at all. All I can do is look at my pictures here, make sure the phones are present (I prefer a phone on each floor and a smoke alarm not too far from a grill. Running to a second floor to answer a phone can be a little annoying, and I've had Sims burn to a crisp when they grilled outdoors without an outside alarm.) Also, double-check to make sure those flamingos are there. About the best I can manage as the time ticks away is to keep my fingers crossed that I didn't miss something really major.

A foundation right after the cut-off time, though, if I'm reading this correctly ... interesting. I might have a couple of days to at least sketch out a community lot before real-life takes over again on Monday. And yes, I'm intrigued to see just what kind of community lot joandsarah77 is planning ... or multiple types of lots.

Also, Mordant17 hasn't even been here (at least signed in) since 22nd May 2017 , and I don't see ChisanaAoi's entry. :/ ChisanaAoi has not logged on here since May 19th. I hope they're both OK. I thought I read that one of them had some sort of real-life stuff to tend to.* Goldenbutterfly is present and accounted for, though.

*Mordant17, and it involved vacation ... post #1548.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#2043 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:29 PM
Yeah, gazania, the thing with boxy lots, being uploaded at least, is that everyone can build a box That's why boxiness is discouraged at MTS. Stuff that's uploaded is supposed to be something that downloaders can't simply make themselves, But I totally agree that many, many, many real life houses are boxes. I don't have a problem with a nicely decorated box in the sims. Just because everyone can build a box, doesn't mean everyone can fabulously decorate it
Scholar
#2044 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 9:34 PM
Gazania, I think whether a box is fine for private use depends on the person I don’t want to play in boxes and I don’t build them, I need to play on lots that I feel nice in and a box would irk me, I’d have to go and remake it The only differences between my private lots and those for upload/contest is that those I don’t share might have slightly fewer details, for example I’m not sure if I’d use so many items from the architecture catalogue if this lot were only for my own use. I still might, but I can’t say that I’m 100% sure I would. I also might do things like put a counter near a tall window or something like that, because those things don’t annoy me that much. But I do decorate, care about landscaping, shape, harmonious look etc. when I build for myself.

These lots are all for my private use.

(Incidentally, the spoiler tags are great really, if someone isn’t interested or already saw the pictures while reading the thread after I posted, they don’t need to scroll infinitely when opening it the next day )

Simblr
Mad Poster
#2045 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:02 PM
I mix and match. Some of my private packaged lots are boxier than others, and I'll purposely go a little boxier with some lots. No, I don' t put four rooms in a square, though! I'm not that bad. The boxier lots are used as basic templates for other builds in the future. I tend to reuse my builds over and over again, in main hoods and often in Uni hoods.

In a way, my lot style is not too unlike my constant edits of the Newman house in Round 2 ... I'll move and shift things depending on my personal preference at the time. My favorite beach lot download here ... one I've used in every hood I've had since I downloaded the lot .. is boxy as anything, and that's precisely what I like about it. I'll take the box and lay out each lot to suit an individual family. Larger family? Smaller? Sims like to cook? Sims prefer take-out? Sims like music? Constant edits of my family = constant edits of my houses.

When I did the Walker house, one reason why I left that gap in the middle was to allow for a staircase and a second story. It was second nature for me to do that. The trick in subsequent entries has been to tone down that inclination a little, since contest rounds are in the here and now!

Your lots are very lovely, by the way!

Mad Poster
#2046 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:10 PM
In my humble opinion, there are ugly boxes and there are pretty boxes
Shall we have a party while we are waiting for the foundation then? Bar is open!
Mad Poster
#2047 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:11 PM Last edited by gazania : 9th Jun 2017 at 10:49 PM.
You just said in one sentence what I couldn't write in 20.

Between real life and this contest, I might go for a couple of fermented beverages!

EDIT ... I should add that I get a lot less concerned about expandability on community lots. If the Sim needs a larger store, just sell the smaller business! My community lots are where I often enjoy the most freedom. (Had to qualify that ... some of my strip mall stores are pretty basic.)

I should also add that my probably over-practical approach stems from Pescado warning us about not moving Sims around too much. I don't see that mentioned nearly as often now, though, so perhaps that isn't a problem at all.

Mad Poster
#2048 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:13 PM
Couple of bottles coming up, gazania
Scholar
#2049 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:14 PM
I normally don’t edit my lots much; most I do is tweak a community lot if after sending my sims there I find out that there’s a routing problem, I forgot something important etc., and expand houses when my sims need more space.

A quick question – is a diagonal radio on an endtable usable? I have one in my entry and there’s still time to edit it as it’s such a tiny change, but if it’s fine there’s no point loading the game. For all I remember radios are fine like that.

Simblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2050 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 10:38 PM
Good morning (well it is for me :P) Since no one has pm'ed or asked for an extension this round will close in 2 hours.
@Rosebine
@ChisanaAoi
@Mordant17

Are still not in.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~

Page 82 of 106