Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 10:43 AM
Default Real instruments or Synthesisers?
Synthesizers...many musicians use them-and they pop up everywhere in pop records, MIDI files and the big black boxes connected to someone's 100+ decibels ear-shattering electric guitar. No more do we need to squeeze the entire orchestral section for Mozart when we can just simulate the sound with MIDI and synthesizers. But at the end of the day, if one compared a synthetic, for example, flute, to a 'real' flute, they both sound different. One has an electric ring to it, and the other a...more...how to put it...true sound.
I myself don't like synthesizers at all, as I much prefer the real thing rather than a charaded orchestra that is nowhere near as beautiful as a human orchestra's sound. Also, with hand-held instruments, one is able to add way more expression to it that no computerized sound could do, which is why trying to do some music for a musical on a music program annoys me no end, unless, of course, it's Sibelius.

1. Do you think synthesized instruments are an 'insult' to the real thing? Or can they actually sound somewhat good?

2. Do you think there would ever be an era where every music is completely synthesized? Even Mozart's classical music?

3. Do you think MIDIs are useful in anyway? Why/why not?

4. At the end of the day, would you prefer to listen to an entirely synthesized musical recording (with human voices) or one with a real orchestra?

5. Is there anything else you would like to add about synthesizers versus human-played instruments?
Advertisement
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:26 PM
There's a difference between a live violinist and a synthesized violin. Just like there is a difference between a person singing live and a person lip-synching.
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 6:43 PM
1. Do you think synthesized instruments are an 'insult' to the real thing? Or can they actually sound somewhat good?
My clavinova has a load of synth instruments and they all sound pretty crap. But seeing as I can only play piano/guitar and not 120 other instruments, it's fun to mess around playing pieces written for other instruments.

2. Do you think there would ever be an era where every music is completely synthesized? Even Mozart's classical music?
Nah, there'd always be hobbyists who play for fun and they will always be needed to make new recordings or to update synth samples.

For composing, most people don't have a whole orchestra at hand to try out different tunes. Whack it into Sibelius MIDI maker and you can test out a whole symphony without hiring a single trumpetist/violinist/etc.

4. At the end of the day, would you prefer to listen to an entirely synthesized musical recording (with human voices) or one with a real orchestra?
Heh, a real band. I always criticise mainstream pop artists for not playing their own music. My most favourite band ever (Muse) get live orchestra on with them on some gigs, it's great

5. Is there anything else you would like to add about synthesizers versus human-played instruments?
I'm part of a theatre company and we do loadsa musicals. When we rehearse, it's with a CD player and a backing recording of the soundtrack. When we put the real show on, we have a proper orchestra with us. It's so much better and helps you get in the zone, as you know its entirely our own work as a company - everyone's putting the emotion and effort in and it's just great :D
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2007 at 1:16 AM
nsult. Flat out. A synthesized instrument isn't even in the same league as a real one. There's no feeling or emotion.

God I hope not. I doubt it, though.

Yea, to an extent. Like Haylifer said, it's great for trying stuff out, but that's the extent of it, in my opinion.

Real. There's no comparison.

Real musicians FTW!