Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 10:21 AM
Default Happy Hannukah!
Yes, break out the latkes and dreidels, it's Hannukah! ... well, at least, it's starting tonight. Eight days of one of my favorite holidays ... one of my favorite parts as a kid was having an excuse to say I was gambling by playing dreidel and *hustling* other kids' money. But, isn't everyone else's favorite part the presents? Even though non-Jews think you get presents every single day (which that would be really nice), we only get presents the first night. The other nights, we just do the other Hannukah stuff.

So, are there any other Jews here?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 12:34 PM
I'm Jewish, but, um... I didn't know Hannukah started today until last night. Whoops. And my parents are both gonna be out, so we probably won't do anything, which is sad... I love Hannukah. We do it the other way round, though; my brother and I usually only get presents on the last night, which is fun. But anyway. Happy Hannukah, have fun tonight! :D
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 5:43 PM
I am 1/4 Jewish - when my nanny was still alive, we would gather at her house for the first night of Hannukah. It was so much fun! I loved playing dreidel, but I don't do it much any more.
Happy Hannukah, everyone! :D

"Life isn’t like coursework, baby. It’s one damn essay crisis after another."
Boris Johnson

"By Jove! Which is always to say, by myself."
Caligula; I, Claudius
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 7:50 PM
Happy Hannukah!

I hate when people say "Oh, I'm 1/2 Jewish" etc. It's not heritage... I could go on about this, but, yeah.

My favorite part of Hannukah... I don't know, I'm just always so happy around Hannukah time :D

It's kind of funny, today coming out of school, there were these two guys handing out bibles...
Field Researcher
#5 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChocolateCake
Happy Hannukah!

I hate when people say "Oh, I'm 1/2 Jewish" etc. It's not heritage... I could go on about this, but, yeah.

Err...I apologise if I annoyed you, but ambnumber11 did ask if there were any more Jews and I am 1/4 Jewish technically. So...I'm sorry.
Anyway, our neighbours are Jewish and they fried up some latkes. They smell so good...*drool*... Plus they are putting up their Hanukiah as I type, which is lovely and exciting. :D

Boris Johnson

Caligula; I, Claudius
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 8:58 PM
Haha, it's okay, I didn't mean just you in particular. I'm sorry
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 5th Dec 2007 at 12:42 AM
When I was very little I got a small present every night and then something big on the fifth. Now I get some sort of present at some point within six months in either direction of the holiday, and thats my hannukah present. My present for the year before last was a digital camera, that I got november of last year :p. Gotta love the parents. And of course ptotato latkes, homemade with the onions and hand shredded potatoes.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#8 Old 5th Dec 2007 at 2:54 AM
Happy Hannukah!
I am not jewish, but just want too say have a safe holdiay.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Dec 2007 at 8:31 PM
Not Jewish, but I love Hanukkah and I'm in a very Jewish part of the US. In fact, I'll be attending a Festival of Lights concert/show tonight. That I'm supposed to be getting ready for, but I'm online instead :argh:
Instructor
#10 Old 5th Dec 2007 at 9:39 PM
I'm jewish! I love hanukkah! Even though it is deffinatly over American-ized (is that a word?)
So chag sameach hanukkah! (aka HAPPY HANUKKAH!)
And I could deffinatly go for some latkes right now...yummm
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Dec 2007 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by D63121
I'm jewish! I love hanukkah! Even though it is deffinatly over American-ized (is that a word?)

Yeah, I wish it was over American-ized! It would be so nice to hear some actual Hannukah songs on the radio besides Adam Sandler's version of a Hannukah song.
Instructor
#12 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ambnumber11
Yeah, I wish it was over American-ized! It would be so nice to hear some actual Hannukah songs on the radio besides Adam Sandler's version of a Hannukah song.

Yeah, hearing actual hanukkah songs would be good...maybe one day...
Athough, sadly enough, I sort of like Adam Sandler's song
Field Researcher
#13 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by D63121
Yeah, hearing actual hanukkah songs would be good...maybe one day...
Athough, sadly enough, I sort of like Adam Sandler's song

You know what you should do then? Petition Sirius to start up a Judaism channel. I mean they have Christian special interest channels of both Protestant and Catholic persuasions.. If enough interest were expressed, I'm sure they'd do a Jewish channel as well. They do have many of their studios in the strong Jewish population center that is New York. Would probably be well received.

Best Hannukah wishes from the Gentile section of S2C
#14 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 1:39 PM
Happy Chanukkah!

As for the "I'm 1/2 Jewish". It doesn't make sense. You can't be half a religion. It's either you're Jewish or you're not. If your mother is Jewish then you're Jewish.

Anyway, may Hashem bless you all.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 9th Dec 2007 at 1:50 PM
Okay, okay - I acknowledge my mistake. You can't be 1/2 Jewish or 1/4 Jewish. What I meant by my statement was that I am of Jewish descent on my paternal grandmother's side - that would be the correct way of saying it. I am actually a Catholic who happens to have celebrated Hannukah with my family very often.
Sorry about causing confusion and generally being annoying.

Our neighbours (I mentioned them already) have had lots of their family over to celebrate in the past few days. They invited us over, too, but only my dad went. He came back and said he had had a lovely time! And they also gave us latkes! Hooray!
And at school assembly they were talking about Hannukah; it was really exciting to learn about a festival you yourself might not celebrate. Usually we only learn about Christian holidays, so a little variety was nice.

Boris Johnson

Caligula; I, Claudius