Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 12:38 AM
AE help needed, what is the 6-5 precinct in NY?
Actually, this is a personal problem but it's about Blue Bloods so hopefully I started the thread in the right section.

The problem:
Blue Bloods was dubbed in German till the end of season 2 (that's not the prob)
and until S05 E04 it was translated (subbed) by a member of SubCentral.de who had to stop because of RL (which isn't the prob neither)
Now I want to go translating the subttles from English to German and right in S05 E05 Jamie Reagan talks about "precinct 6-5" (that's my problem!)

The precincts 5 and 6 are easy to find on a list of RL NY precincts but what is this precinct 6-5?

Is it just a name for a precinct in the universe of Blue Bloods and as such there is no proper explanation or do New Yorker or Americans in general know what this means? You know, like the shield of New Yorker cops.
I'm asking because I'd like to improve my English skills and because of curiosity so any help is very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 8:38 AM
Just a guess, but maybe when he said, "precinct 6-5" it was translated incorrectly. Maybe he meant:
*precinct 6
*precinct 5
*precinct 5 or 6
*precincts 5 and 6
*precincts 5 through 6

I wonder if this has been addressed on IMDB? Maybe someone saw the same episode and can tell you.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 10:56 AM
No, that's not the translation but exactly what he said. While watching the VO (= voice original subbed, the written word for people who struggle understanding spoken English ) I didn't care because I thought he meant precincts 5 and 6, just like you

In another episode they were talking about another precinct with one of these mysterious numbers behind. I mean precinct 5 makes sense to me but precinct 5-7 reminds me of Harry Potter's station to Hogward: for some people it exists, for others it does not. I can't remember exactly without watching the whole season again but it seems like they talk more often about numbers behind the precinct itself. As I said I recognized while I started translating instead of just watching the VO

Anyway, IMDb was a good thought but unfortunately they rather discuss the content or actors. My problem is a translation, or at least an explanation problem, so no results. I thought about asking the NYPD directly, they should know their precincts but an email from Germany asking about numers behind their precints and their meaning... I don't know if this is one of my best ideas...

Aren't there any native speaker around who have a clue?

Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 10:24 PM
Huh? I'm stumped then and I am a native speaker and I used to live not far from New York City. Must be a police thing. You said that's what the voice said, not what was written? I wonder....How high do the precincts go? Could 6-5 stand for sixty-five and they're just talking in some sort of police code to be extra extra clear? Oh, I just googled precinct 6-5 and there is a 65th precinct. But it's old and defunct. I wonder if it might be mentioned in some wikipedia or IMDB description of the specific episode. If the detail really means anything, it might.

I'm stumped.
Scholar
#5 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 11:01 PM
Is there a 65th precinct?

I know that in the military, we don't say," sixty-fifth"; we say "6,5." It's clearer to the ears.
Cops like to copy military jargon and stuff, so...

p.s. I just read VDT's post. So there is a 65th precinct, but defunct....

But then, the writers may not have realized that. It wouldn't be the first time script writers got it all wrong.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Nov 2015 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Could 6-5 stand for sixty-five and they're just talking in some sort of police code to be extra extra clear? Oh, I just googled precinct 6-5 and there is a 65th precinct. But it's old and defunct. I wonder if it might be mentioned in some wikipedia or IMDB description of the specific episode. If the detail really means anything, it might.

Jamie Reagan definitely said the two numbers, six and five, not sixty. Even if, this would have been even more crazy: in this scene he recognizes a young woman sitting on a bench near Central Park (even we German know that's in Manhattan ) and the precincts with sixty are in the Bronx. Not the closest precincts, aren't they. The young woman looks pretty beaten up and as the helpfull officer Jamie wants to help her though he's off-duty. They talk a bit and a police car comes around so Jamie suggests that the cops take them to precinct six five where she can get medical help and tell the whole story.
I checked the location of both precincts, 5 and 6. They are far away and 6 is near Central Park, so it wouldn't make sense to go to precinct 5.

So *logical thinking mode on*
If I was beaten up and afraid and a stranger would tell me that he's a cop who is just off-duty but anyway wants to help me if I come with him to a strange sounding precinct... Naaaah! No way! I would rather run away, make a scene, whatever than trust this perv! But this young woman agrees and doesn't wonder at all where she could be taken to... strange.

I tried Wiki and BlueBloods Wiki but no results neiter. Anyway, still curious what this might be.

Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
I know that in the military, we don't say," sixty-fifth"; we say "6,5." It's clearer to the ears.
Cops like to copy military jargon and stuff, so...
But then, the writers may not have realized that. It wouldn't be the first time script writers got it all wrong.

Yes, that's why I'm asking. Military code or coud the five stand for a division within the 6th precint, like division 1: major crimes, division 2: homicide division or something like that?
And even if, would this be clear to the people of NY???

So could the script writers be wrong or did they just create an universe where precincts exist with these numbers behind, that's the question.

Thanks for your help so far *hugging*