Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 1:35 AM
Default 100% specular pattern?
I'm looking for a highly reflective pattern for use on walls, preferably one that's essentially a mirror.
I've been building these faux skyscrapers, and they're not shiny enough.

Here's what I have:

But here's what I want:

Now obviously I know you can't have REAL reflections, only cubemaps (unless there's some sort of giant, tileable mirror or something) but cubemaps are better than nothing.
Thanks.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 10:22 AM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 14th Aug 2017 at 10:41 AM.
https://www.thesimsresource.com/dow...-11/id/1202584/
More options if you click on 'part of a set'.

Or maybe something like this would work for you: http://canelline.blogspot.com/2012/...urs-miroir.html
dodgy builder
#3 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 10:43 AM
If you go walls with shiney metal, it might work better than gradients.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
If you go walls with shiney metal, it might work better than gradients.

I'm ALREADY using walls with shiny metal. It's not shiny enough.
I'll need a solid pattern. Not an object. I can't use objects.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 1:40 AM
What you need to do, OP, is directly change the object's built in specular. If you're already using the shiniest patterns and the object is still matte, no pattern you find is ever going to give you the effect you want. The specular itself needs to be edited.

You can open the file and extract the Specular in TSRW or S3PE, open it in Photoshop/GIMP, make the specular and its Alpha channels brighter/whiter, replace the texture with your custom one, and test to see what you get. (Read Page 20+ of this tutorial; it's the best: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...rt_2:_Texturing )

Another thought: Or you can edit the object's shader and perhaps use the mirror shader? It'll give it a glass texture without actually being a mirror. Never tried that before, but it's worth a shot.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2017 at 1:53 AM
Nope, that's not really relevant either. I'm using a wall texture, it'll accept any amount of specularity you want it to.
Again, I have a wall texture. Wall texture's fine, nothing wrong with it. But the pattern I'm using for it, which is a textureless, solid, shiny metal, isn't shiny enough.

insert signature here