Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#28 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 9:47 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 19th Nov 2017 at 11:22 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Who the heck is going around clicking these disagrees?

These what, now?

EDIT:

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#29 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Who the heck is going around clicking these disagrees? I feel like I'm in the TS4 forum.

It's because I angered the Katy Perry fan!
Theorist
#30 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 4:47 AM
I dunno, maybe the ratings board giving TS2 a "teen and up" rating was the eventual kiss of death. Very young kids played it, and it could have been due to that rating. OTOH maybe young kids played it because they watched their mommies playing it and wanted to play it too.

At any rate, there are people out there who actually call The Sims "a teen game". NO. It was rated by the ratings board for "teen and up"!!! There is a big difference, but maybe this had an affect on Maxis, too. They seem to have had a tendency since TS3 to put some kiddish things in the game, and with TS4 it seems their making the game for kids 6 or 7 years old. Yes, there were goofy things in TS2 but in many cases it was more tongue in cheek & innuendos that appealed to adults. But you can't convince me that Maxis knowing that very young kids play their game doesn't influence their decisions.

I realize that not everyone will agree with this post, especially those who started playing at 6 or 7! (wink, LOL) But something went wrong somewhere along the way. This used to be a game that appealed to a wider age range. And of course that doesn't mean that older people can't like the new games but I think older fans are getting more and more marginalized, especially if you're not into cutesy or cartoony sims.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#31 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 5:15 AM Last edited by DuskTrooper : 20th Nov 2017 at 10:05 AM.
The target audience is a reflection of the pop culture and business climate we live in now. In comparison to the current video gaming climate, It was more difficult to promote a video game back in 2004. The gaming industry had less involvement in pop culture and was still considered a "nerd" hobby by many. This paired also with home computers in 2004 being an abnormality made the target core audience smaller. Maxis essentially knew who to target their game to.

As video gaming has since become less associated as a nerd hobby and more acceptable in pop culture, more people are likely to play video games now and this increases the range of this games potential core audience. If I had to actually choose the culprit I'd say Sony and Microsoft would be more at fault as the increasing popularity of their consoles during the mid 2000's ushered this change.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Page 2 of 2