Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 11:38 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 7th Aug 2017 at 8:22 PM.
Default What's your worst Simming habit?
What's your worst Simming habit, the one thing you keep doing despite knowing it's going to get in your way later? Surely we all have one.

I'll start off with mine. I always record my gameplay with Fraps, but I keep playing music in the background. And it's not bad music, so that's not the problem at all, but it does kinda ruin the gameplay footage, and I can forget about putting it up on YouTube. And even if I do put it up, in case the copyright's all clear or whatever, people will probably question why everything I listen to is so old.
(The stuff I listen to was cool when some of you older MTS users were young 'uns. Like synthpop and shit.)
(Actually, screw that, synthpop is still cool.)

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 12:30 AM
Details. I put too much time and effort into details. From Sim faces to the frivolous thing like decorative light switches and paper hand towels. Many of the time I forget to actually play because I get too busy designing.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Theorist
#3 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 12:54 AM
Downloading more CC rather than playing. I'm trying to avoid that this time around. I'm doing okay so far.
Playing the same sort of Sims I can relate to (artsy, literary, gamer) too much. In the household I've been playing in my new install, one of the sisters is like those first traits I use a lot. The other one is "sporty" which I am not. But she loves to cook. Well, you know how it goes with our bad habits...My neighborhood is populated with all sorts of people but I can't play a mean sim who wants to fight all the time.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Site Helper
#4 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 6:03 AM
Create a sim, and start a new game. Play a while, keeping multiple "Save As" saves for that game. Then getting an idea for a different sim or family I want to work with and starting that one while keeping the old saves from the previous games because I do plan to go back. Eventually. (I've got one poor sim who has been waiting 4 years for me to play that game again.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
#5 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Create a sim, and start a new game. Play a while, keeping multiple "Save As" saves for that game. Then getting an idea for a different sim or family I want to work with and starting that one while keeping the old saves from the previous games because I do plan to go back. Eventually. (I've got one poor sim who has been waiting 4 years for me to play that game again.)

That one's me- I've lost count how many saves I have going where I've played for a few hours and then got a new idea and never came back.

I also take zillions of screenshots of every game and never do anything with them.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 8:51 AM
Getting bored at the point where my founders are just "waiting to die" and grandchildren are happening and things start to go ho hum. Money's coming in, the nice house is built... I'm combating it now by having a single sim try to run a 'bed and breakfast' with the roommates function now instead.
Scholar
#7 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 9:18 AM
quitting the game for like 5 months and then spending a full week straight on the game again.

continue the cycle.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 9:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
That one's me- I've lost count how many saves I have going where I've played for a few hours and then got a new idea and never came back.
I also take zillions of screenshots of every game and never do anything with them.

I suppose that's my #2 issue. I have more than 15k screenshots of TS3 on my PC and there's no way in hell I'll "need" more than a fifth of them.
And then there's the saves thing, but I don't see that as a bad thing. You see, I make a new file every month. So I'm currently on "Bridgeport 4-2017", for example.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 11:36 AM
I get bored easily, so even if I am working on a challenge, part way through I get bored and decide to start anew... one reason why I have yet to manage to even make it to Gen 2 on a 100 Baby challenge.

The other is I want to build nice housees or community lots, but my ideas don't work, so I just plunk down something fast and fill it. Call it done. And then hating it.
Scholar
#10 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 12:27 PM
Forgetting to put in a burglar alarm - until it's too late!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Scholar
#11 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 12:55 PM
*Creates plans for some grand and ambitious building*

*Slight hindrance occurs when building it*

*Abandons project/loses interest within an hour*

*Repeat for eternity*

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Site Helper
#12 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12

*Repeat for eternity*

I call that "experimenting." It's why I ended up with a vast underground cave complex when I was starting out to see if I could use friezes to build a pyramid.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 4:14 PM

*Repeat for eternity*

I've considered treating builds like a concept artist treats his concept art - just keep redoing the thing from scratch until you like it, even if that means you'll have to create the whole thing a dozen times over. That, of course, sounds great in theory but there's no way I'll actually ever do it for real.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#14 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
(Look at that, I've finally come up with something interesting to discuss.)
What's your worst Simming habit, the one thing you keep doing despite knowing it's going to get in your way later? Surely we all have one.

I'll start off with mine. I always record my gameplay with Fraps, but I keep playing music in the background. And it's not bad music, so that's not the problem at all, but it does kinda ruin the gameplay footage, and I can forget about putting it up on YouTube. And even if I do put it up, in case the copyright's all clear or whatever, people will probably question why everything I listen to is so old.
(The stuff I listen to was cool when some of you older MTS users were young 'uns. Like synthpop and shit.)
(Actually, screw that, synthpop is still cool.)

I'm not going to tell you what to do with the music on Youtube, because it's bloody hard.

Lately though I have been very careful with crediting the music, and I even make texts in the video. I end up not being able to have commertials on it, but otherwise it's ok. I'm quite surpriced actually, at how well it suddenly run these days. I'm been informed about claims on my music, and they put commertials on my videos, sometimes they are closed to Germany, but otherwise I'm fine.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
Downloading more CC rather than playing.

This. This speaks to me on so many levels. I seriously need to cut back on the CC. I think I may have an addiction problem..
Field Researcher
#16 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 4:53 PM
I love/hate the fact that CC exists to make my life hard/dreams come true because I keep downloading on them! It's so frustrating when I see a new CC hair/piece/clothing/etc and I must have it in my game, one download turns into hours of a CC downloading spree. It's a cycle I can never get out of. I have more CC on my PC than I would care to admit that I can keep up with.
Instructor
#17 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 5:15 PM
I have 2 bad habits in particular. The one is that I make a family and play them a while then get bored, delete them, and make another family and repeat the process, and another is making my sims get pregnant over and over and not really taking care of the babies but making a sim meant to be the nanny do it while making my other sims whom are typically either couples or large poly groups woohoo and make more and be pregnant like most of their adult lives. Tried to combat it by making a couple with 2 cats that were meant to be childfree in an apartment but I ended up having them get pregnant anyways but ended up deleting the family both due to boredom and a glitch. Now I'm playing a wealthy childfree poly group of 9 YAs and a teen with no pets that I plan on not getting pregnant whatsoever where I'm trying to focus on their jobs and the teen's homeschooling, housework, leisure, and their relationship. So far I'm actually enjoying it a lot.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Lately though I have been very careful with crediting the music, and I even make texts in the video. I end up not being able to have commertials on it, but otherwise it's ok. I'm quite surpriced actually, at how well it suddenly run these days. I'm been informed about claims on my music, and they put commertials on my videos, sometimes they are closed to Germany, but otherwise I'm fine.

I suppose my music taste could kind of save the day - like I said, it's all pretty old. And generally speaking, older songs don't get struck down as much by copyright and whatnot. Of course it helps too if the song isn't too popular, or at least not one of the "classics". I've been kind of digging acid house lately, if I were to use any of that I don't think I'd ever get a strike for it.

insert signature here
Theorist
#19 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 8:40 PM Last edited by HCAC : 20th Apr 2017 at 1:27 PM.
Another bad habit...once my Sims get in a relationship (especially females) I totally forget their careers and focus on the relationship....once the kids come, SHE winds up home 99.9% of the time. The mothers' careers go out the window (kind of LRL) LOL.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#20 Old 7th Apr 2017 at 9:44 PM
I never corrected mistakes that were in my favor of good fortune. Cheating with mods, overpopulation of houses and other annoyances to purists who play mod free were always my specialty. I sometimes sing "I Want It All" by Queen during the high points of gameplay.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 1:19 AM
I play populated worlds with really interesting sims, then level up on science to conquer money, logic and potions or Alchemy to conquer old age , and then charisma or social networking still to conquer relationships, and gardening (deathflowers) to cheat death.

But by then, all the interesting sims are elders, and all the sims are story progression generated.
Scholar
#22 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 6:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I call that "experimenting." It's why I ended up with a vast underground cave complex when I was starting out to see if I could use friezes to build a pyramid.

I have entire worlds full of half-finished buildings. From houses to rows of brownstones to old gothic museums to underground Fallout-esque vaults. Plus many buildings dedicated to just experimenting with cheats, like skyscrapers. So can you build a pyramid from friezes?

I've considered treating builds like a concept artist treats his concept art - just keep redoing the thing from scratch until you like it, even if that means you'll have to create the whole thing a dozen times over. That, of course, sounds great in theory but there's no way I'll actually ever do it for real.

Especially when you've spent hours on one particular place only to realise that if you were to slightly widen this one hallway it'll flow better, but in doing so will require adjusting the whole damn floorplan. Usually I just abandon it for months and then have another go.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 2:31 PM
Especially when you've spent hours on one particular place only to realise that if you were to slightly widen this one hallway it'll flow better, but in doing so will require adjusting the whole damn floorplan. Usually I just abandon it for months and then have another go.

That reminds me - I'm terrified of making changes. I'll have a lot that I'm not satisfied with, and I'll want to make some changes, but it'll never happen because what if I lose the bits that I do like because of it?

Case in point, this entire thread. For the record, I haven't made any significant progress since then.

insert signature here
Scholar
#24 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 5:11 PM
To me the thing about the Sims being a game is that you can just mess around with the build, or the development of the relationship, or the career, or whatever, starting over from whatever point as much as you want. You don't get second chances very often in real life, so it's delicious to have all the chances you want in a game.
Site Helper
#25 Old 8th Apr 2017 at 6:26 PM
That reminds me - I'm terrified of making changes. I'll have a lot that I'm not satisfied with, and I'll want to make some changes, but it'll never happen because what if I lose the bits that I do like because of it?

Case in point, this entire thread. For the record, I haven't made any significant progress since then.

Drop a copy of that lot as it is now into the Lots bin. If your changes make it worse, bulldoze and replace with the lot from the bin. If it's better, drop that one into the bin as well.

(which speaks to another one of my bad habits... I keep forgetting to clear saved lots out of my bin. I noticed a couple of days ago that I had 87 copies of "Alaric's New House-Unfinished." All different. It's amazing how things sped up when I reduced that number to 3. )

Page 1 of 9