Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
No EA support for UC - or Sims 2 - anymore?

There is still support for UC but it is very limited in scope.
You will get better support here anyway.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
There is still support for UC but it is very limited in scope.
You will get better support here anyway.

Of course the support here will be better
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 7:00 PM
Just wanted to confirm that it also worked for me. January this year I wrote to the EA support that I wanted TS2 UC. I also just had to sent them a picture of the CD and manual of the game, and everything was fine! By the way, I had an extremly nice contact person or however you would call them. She even explained to me how to transfer my CC and save games from the normal TS2.
Test Subject
#29 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 7:13 PM
Just scored it this morning!

I had originally lost my Seasons CD in a move so the only one I had left was the Base Game CD (NOT DOUBLE DELUXE). I had a failure a week ago (rep swearing that the promo has been over and they weren't allowed to hand out unsupported games - this after he made me take a pic of the manual, code, two CDs, and signed current receipt).

Today, I had to resort to two international reps (India via chat and England via phone call), a bit of fangirling since they could look into my account and see other TS games I owned, and crossing my finger that the supervisors would cut me some slack. There was a fair share of disbelief that there are still nonregistered Base Game CDs still in circulation.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 7:37 PM
Be aware: I just saw on tumblr that the UC's been updated without SecuROM. (Yay!) But apparently it's popping up and installing itself without notice the moment you log into Origin or something, and of course it will overwrite your existing game files, just like adding a new EP; so you'll have to redo your graphics rules and things and definitely need to back up your game data. I can't tell you details because my computer won't show me SimsVIP.com, the source everyone's linking to. (I'm using an old OS and browser, so I presume that's what the problem is when I get an "unknown protocol" error.) Suggest you check it out yourself.

Make no mistake, No SecuROM is a good thing! They should have removed it when they first started offering the UC. But automatic updates unequivocably suck.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#31 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 7:50 PM
I was able to get to he site and this what I saw. So supposedly it was there from the start and this update is supposed to remove it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#32 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 10:32 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 1st Nov 2017 at 10:48 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Be aware: I just saw on tumblr that the UC's been updated without SecuROM. (Yay!) But apparently it's popping up and installing itself without notice the moment you log into Origin or something, and of course it will overwrite your existing game files, just like adding a new EP; so you'll have to redo your graphics rules and things and definitely need to back up your game data. I can't tell you details because my computer won't show me SimsVIP.com, the source everyone's linking to. (I'm using an old OS and browser, so I presume that's what the problem is when I get an "unknown protocol" error.) Suggest you check it out yourself.

Ugg, the last thing I want is the UC installing itself because I opened origin for some other game. Are you sure?

Edit: okay for all technically unsavy people like myself, Gina tells me that won't happen unless you already have the UC installed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#33 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 10:42 PM
It probably depends on the settings you've chosen in Origin; I've got Automatic Game Updates set to Off, but I think the default is On. You can change your settings without connecting online by opening in offline mode and changing the Application Settings (found by hovering over the user name in the bottom left corner). You can open Origin without connecting if you want to be sure of your settings - I physically disconnected my internet before opening Origin as I couldn't recall how to open offline with the connection available - you still have to enter a password but it will open offline.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 10:43 PM
Games usually auto-update on Origin, so I'd guess so.

Take a backup of any files in the install files you want to keep before you open Origin (to be certain, also take a backup of the files in Documents), and make sure to replace them before opening up your game again.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
It probably depends on the settings you've chosen in Origin; I've got Automatic Game Updates set to Off, but I think the default is On. You can change your settings without connecting online by opening in offline mode and changing the Application Settings (found by hovering over the user name in the bottom left corner). You can open Origin without connecting if you want to be sure of your settings - I physically disconnected my internet before opening Origin as I couldn't recall how to open offline with the connection available - you still have to enter a password but it will open offline.

If you'd rather not physically disconnect things, InternetOff is handy - I've used it for the rare case I need to test something with no connectivity.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 11:38 PM
What they don't tell you is that this update also ties the UC into Origin. Open the game, Origin opens with it. So if you do not want your game tied to Origin do not update
Instructor
#37 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jules1111
What they don't tell you is that this update also ties the UC into Origin. Open the game, Origin opens with it. So if you do not want your game tied to Origin do not update

That's what I thought yesterday, when I saw that the update was available. Thank you, EA, but I'm passing on this.

It's always a catch with EA these days.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 12:14 AM
Actually, that update came long time ago on my PC... a year after UC released, sometimes in 2015. It got rid of SecuROM but it tied my game to origin. Idk why are they announcing that right now...

Also, offline mode in origin is great because it always stays offline unless you specify it to go online (even after relogging or reseting the PC) and you can play any game you want in offline mode too.

I got rid of my UC not because of that, but because it updated and overwritten my save games, cities, sime, mods, lighting and camera config... basically everything. And it kept updating over and over again (it detected updates even in offline mode for some reason) that I just had to get rid of it.
I'm back to my 'complete collection' now... Missing few items but those can be easily replaced by good CC.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#39 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 12:58 AM
Gah - there's always something isn't there?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#40 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 1:10 AM
wonder why you had an update that tied you to origin back then? there was one that I had then, but it didn't do that. Bet they were experimenting at how it was going to work...... :/

I don't even have origin installed on my computer, as I installed UC, then removed origin. so am very grateful now!
Test Subject
#41 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 5:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
wonder why you had an update that tied you to origin back then? there was one that I had then, but it didn't do that. Bet they were experimenting at how it was going to work...... :/

I don't even have origin installed on my computer, as I installed UC, then removed origin. so am very grateful now!

You can do that!? Does that mean I don't have to go through this Origin update at all and leave my files alone? Just uninstall Origin. And If I ever need to download UC again, I can just reinstall Origin at that time?
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 7:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bkwrm112
You can do that!? Does that mean I don't have to go through this Origin update at all and leave my files alone? Just uninstall Origin. And If I ever need to download UC again, I can just reinstall Origin at that time?

Yes. As long as you do not go through the update you do not need Origin installed. I also uninstalled it after downloading UC. The game works just fine without it. If you need to reinstall you can just reinstall Origin and download again, however if you need to reinstall it will be tied to Origin then, the updates download with the rest of the game.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 7:55 AM
Damn, I would have gone for that update without Securom, because I'm getting lag that I suspect that it's responsible for. But Origin opening every time I play is a PITA I don't want.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 8:42 AM
That happened to my Sims 4 game - it started to go through Origin.(I seldom open it, though, think I last played when the toddlers came out).
I can still play the UC from my desktop, though - I had all the updates.
Scholar
#45 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 2:01 PM
Was this a full benevolent act on behalf of Origin? Or are they trying to cut down on customer support inquiries?

(Or have plans to try to re-monetize TS2?)
Mad Poster
#46 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 2:54 PM
If they had plans to re-monetize it, I imagine they would've put it up on GOG.com a long time ago -- the SimCity games are there so I don't see why TS1/TS2 couldn't go on it as well, and you know there's at least a dozen people who'd pay $10 or $20 to get the game and all the expansions without dealing with Origin. It's probably more along the lines of SecuROM being incompatible with Win10.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Theorist
#47 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
If they had plans to re-monetize it, I imagine they would've put it up on GOG.com a long time ago -- the SimCity games are there so I don't see why TS1/TS2 couldn't go on it as well, and you know there's at least a dozen people who'd pay $10 or $20 to get the game and all the expansions without dealing with Origin. It's probably more along the lines of SecuROM being incompatible with Win10.

I'd pay more than 10$/20$ if they'd just optimize Sims 2 for modern systems, fix some of the hard coded flaws/bugs/corruption issues and maybe release new expansions (I know it' completely unrealistic, but one can dream)
Scholar
#48 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
I'd pay more than 10$/20$ if they'd just optimize Sims 2 for modern systems, fix some of the hard coded flaws/bugs/corruption issues and maybe release new expansions (I know it' completely unrealistic, but one can dream)

Yeah, I'm torn between "I would give you money for a remastered version if you promise not to break it" and "Wait I would prefer not to give EA any money ever."
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 11:36 PM
I managed to get the UC from EA in the beginning of October on my first try. EA support was VERY busy due to new releases (thats what the rep said) and I waited in the chat queue for over an hour and I think that helped. I think they are much more likely to go out of their way if they know you've been on hold for such a long time.
Page 2 of 2