Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 12:28 AM
Default Which Is More Annoying: Being Thanked Too Much or Never At All?
I know there's a such thing as being too polite, and I know that sometimes it can really get one some people's nerves. But on the other hand, never thanking anyone for anything every time is just rude. The same goes for apologies.

What're your thoughts on this?

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 12:30 AM
My opinion is that it's much more annoying to not be thanked at all. Even more so with apologies.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 12:37 AM
I agree. Better to say thanks a few times too often than not at all. And better with ten apologies for the same thing than not a single one.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#4 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 12:49 AM
Apologies and thank-yous are both needed just once, so long as they are sincere.
Theorist
#5 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 12:50 AM
I will get irked by someone not being thankful, but not saying it at all could potentially infuriate me.

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 1:03 AM
It feels insincere when you get a gushy thanker. I worked with one who'd do it after anyone took a message for her and dreamed of locking her in the file room after a couple of hours each day. Still twitch when I hear thank you said more than twice in a row.

Repeated apologies though depend on the situation. I had a car accident once, low speed, my fault entirely and I was so shocked and horrified I couldn't stop saying sorry. It went on for about 10 minutes then I just started crying my eyes out. I know what you mean though, it's the ones where they keep coming back and doing it that make you just want to tell them to just shut up already.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 6:13 PM
Ya I think thanking is better than not at all.

In this world people may throw stones in the path of your success, it depends on you ….. What you make from them …… a wall or a bridge.. What's Your TS2 Business?
Alchemist
#8 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 6:54 PM
I'm usually holding doors open for other people and in school I just walk forward holding the door until I feel someone else behind pushing it. I rarely get thanked (Only by elder people ''Thanks, young man!'') but I just thank myself in my mind, to not feel unseen.

But, to the topic, which I actually wanted to respond to:
Thanking too often is better than don't thank at all.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#9 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 12:48 AM
I'm am a proud over-thanker! (My new word!)

I practially bow. I'm always holding doors open for people. Half the time whomever I'm with gives me the evil eye because I'll stand at the door for like ten minutes. If I was rich I would pay for peoples purchases ahead of me and I always offer to help the elderly or disabled when shopping if they can't reach something, dropped something, etc. I'm a firm believer in the Golden Rule and will go out of my way to assist.

I'm a complete please, thank you, you're welcome and have a great day kinda gal!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 1:13 AM
While I feel that thanks and apologies are a matter of respect, I can't help being lenient about it. I automatically feel thanked or apologised to if the person's expressions or actions show the associated vibe. I can always tell if someone's being insincere or plain rude, therefore people who aren't forgetting on purpose never really bother me. The last time someone over-apologised to me I ended up thinking I wasn't sure if I could bear to be friends with her (there were other reasons, namely what she was apologising for). A lack doesn't disappoint me so much as a careless attitude to the thankfulness/apologetic relationship we have at that point in time.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 1:16 PM
Apologies and Thank You's need to be said, but when people keep on saying them, it does get annoying

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Alchemist
#12 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 1:47 PM
There's a coworker who drives me home every night. It's directly on his way home so all he as to do is pull over and let me out. I thanked him each night initially. Now I just thank him every once in a while, because...do I really need to say thanks each and every night? I think if I did, it wouldn't be sincere anymore. But sometimes I feel weird saying, "Alright, see you tomorrow! Good night!" without a "Thanks!" I don't know. I wonder what he thinks about it, whether he cares. Does he expect a thank you every night? I can't imagine. I think he'd prefer not to be thanked every night. He knows I appreciate it... and I plan on getting him an Xmas present for all the drives he's given me...What do you think?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 9:25 AM
I always say 'thank you'. I don't really say 'please' - a part of me says that it's a waste if they say 'no'.
But about others - I think both are just as annoying. On one hand it becomes meaningless if they just hand manners out without effort or consideration for what they imply, the other is slightly offensive.

~Jo
Shady, Bruno, Nouk, Fanseelamb and JB: You all help to break my downloads folder. You're all so brilliant, so I wanted to say thanks.
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde