Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 30th May 2018 at 7:30 PM
So @Yvelotic2001 and I will have a party If anyone want to join us, you are welcome.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 30th May 2018 at 8:56 PM
Alright, I've edited my original entry post and attached the additional photos. Sorry for the delay... I have to move files between my windows partition and my mac to post (I'm running UC on bootcamp) and I've been busy this week. It should be all good now. Please let me know if there's anything else I need to do!
Mad Poster
#78 Old 30th May 2018 at 9:46 PM
No need to apologize, @Modder - there are still 4+ days left before the deadline. You can make changes up until then if you want to
Test Subject
#79 Old 31st May 2018 at 4:08 PM
Default Application/Round 1
Hi everyone
Circe and Loki fancied a change...

I decided to decorate this house using a colour scheme! I used black, white and gray as neutrals, then added red and green for pops of colour. Since they're both scientists, I imagined Circe and Loki would appreciate a more modern look. Being an Inventor and a Knowledge sim, I imagined Loki being more into machinery and technology. Circe, on the other hand, is in the Medical career track and thus more interested in biology and plants. Nervous is... well, Nervous. Anyway, enough about the imaginary lives of these pixel people, let's have a look and see what their new home looks like!

I think that's everything... I hope I did everything correctly! I apologize if the pictures are a bit big, I shrunk them down as much as I could without making them too blurry. Making this house over was quite a challenge, especially because we had to keep it under 40k simoleons. I did thoroughly enjoy it, though, and I can't wait for the next round :D
Mad Poster
#80 Old 31st May 2018 at 4:34 PM
Those slanted windows in the feeding room are brilliant!

Since this is "trading spaces" I'd understood that part of the deal was that some other Strangetown family is making the conversion for the target household? As a non-participant this is hardly my business; but if I read that part right, you might want to state who the designing family is. In the previous case it was presumably the Grunts, as it was supposed to be military housing. I would guess, based on the consideration for Nervous and for the cowplant, that this design was done for the Beakers by the Curiosi, but the judges shouldn't have to guess and I'd enjoy kibitzing more if I knew, too.

If I understood wrong, ignore me.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#81 Old 31st May 2018 at 6:43 PM Last edited by Yvelotic2001 : 12th Aug 2018 at 5:08 PM.
I originally thought so, but while I was building my entry I repeatedly re-read the rules and I understood the family we chose is the one doing the conversion, not another family doing it for them. At least that was my understanding after looking at the rules several times. Thus I did not worry about having a particular family, say, the Smiths, doing the conversion for the household I chose, Loner, and just went with what I thought suited Ajay.

I could be wrong though, so could you clarify, @joandsarah77?

P.S. - I too love those slanted windows!
Mad Poster
#82 Old 31st May 2018 at 7:26 PM
I believe Trading Spaces only refers to families moving to other houses?

The judging criteria about that on Page 1 says this: Suitability and requirements up to 5 points. Does the house seem suitable for the chosen family and meet their needs and wants?

I think that is clear enough - it only has to suit the family that is going to live there.

All you need to know about any family is what Jo has written on Page 1 - it is a building contest, if one has never played Strangetown it would be impossible for them to know how nice the Curious Boys are.

The contestants are all doing fine work!
Test Subject
#83 Old 31st May 2018 at 8:54 PM
I also interpreted the rules as stating that all we needed to worry about was the families moving into the new property.

I'm glad everyone likes the slanted windows

I love perusing this thread and seeing what everyone else has done, I love to see everyone's interpretations of how these families would decorate their homes
Space Pony
#84 Old 31st May 2018 at 10:21 PM Last edited by Kukamuukaanmuka : 3rd Jun 2018 at 12:53 AM.
Default Application Round/ Ajay Loner
Maybe the meteor , or something else , what hit Strangetown a long time ago , made it so dry and sandy. Nature and time have done their jobs, and nowadays, small oasis are starting to appear every here and there, and the property of 73 Road to Nowhere is one of them. Ajay Loner was lucky in that.

What he was not so lucky about, was that he only had 20 000 simoleons, and the house costed almost the double... He almost gave up... but then he had a letter, what changed all. Ajay's grandfather was once a businessman, his partner was Mr Motherlode Ottomas, one sneaky , clever businessman who loved family and children. Ajay remembers that Mr M.Ottomas played a lot with him when he was a toddler. He had left him 20 000 simoleons! Mr Ottomas had died a long time ago, but Ajay got the letter now, simply because nobody found him before to deliver it...

" Hey! YOU! Who are writing this! I am a loner, suprised??"

Now the extra pics..

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 31st May 2018 at 10:35 PM
Wow, so many posts :D

Sorry for any confusion. The family doing the makeover is the family who is moving into the house. If the beakers are moving in then the Beaker's are doing the makeover. The Town Council is simply assigning names leaving the hard work up to the families. The families can only be used once and they can't have their old houses back.

@Simoleon37 So glad you could join us.

@Kukamuukaanmuka Great to have you now as a contestant. :D

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#86 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 12:50 AM Last edited by yavannatw : 1st Jun 2018 at 1:32 AM.
I will be wanting a list with links of cc used throughout this contest - I'm seeing a lot that I'm drooling over.
Top Secret Researcher
#87 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That depends on the judges, some really like them attached. Sometimes pictures don't show up as large under the spoiler as they do attached. Since its a small lot you might get away with it but I will ask.

@gdayars @Justpetro @yavannatw

Sorry for late response. They show up big enough for me.
Apologies for double post.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#88 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 3:27 AM
Sorry I am late! Pictures are fine, I am in the middle of moving and labor and delivery drama so forgive me if I take a bit
Mad Poster
#89 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 9:26 AM
I am good with the pics as well I will ask if I am not sure about anything.
Mad Poster
#90 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 1:53 PM
Hi Jo! I thought I should just post and point out that you haven't put Modder in the table yet. I suspect this is just an oversight. To be very pedantic, there is also a mention in the first post of the "Lambert's, which I think is just a carry-over from your last contest. (I remember the Lamberts well - they are the biggest and most difficult family I've ever played. Mine are still living -- and struggling -- in Elswyn.)

With Modder included that brings us to 6 contestants, and from their posts I presume that Quycksylver and HugeLunatic are going to post entries too. I suppose eight entries isn't too bad, but it's certainly a slow take-up compared to the last two contests. Your Community Spirit contest filled up while I was still trying to make the foundation! A couple of possible reasons occur to me. Maybe it's too soon after the last contest and people simply felt they needed a rest. I also wonder of the standard of the entries, especially the winning entries, in recent contests has been so high that people just felt they couldn't compete.

Anyway, I was planning to sit this one out, but I think I will have a go and see if I can do anything with that house. Provided I can think of something that isn't total rubbish, I'll submit near the deadline. If you have 15 proper entries by that time, well and good -- just make me a play-along. If we're still struggling by that time, I can be a contestant, even if it's just to make the numbers up. I'll try to produce something passable for every round.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#91 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 3:29 PM
@AndrewGloria - way to go I did a (granted, really quick) makeover and the house isn't really as tough as it looks, the basement being the part that is the most problematic - so enjoy
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 8:49 PM Last edited by quycksylver : 2nd Jun 2018 at 9:11 AM.
Default Application / Round 1: Ajay Loner
For this house, I went with a sort of Southwestern meets Midcentury modern vibe. The main color scheme is neutral colors and warm wood tones for a masculine feel along with occasional pops of bright color to keep things interesting.

I think that's everything. It took a lot longer to redo this thing to bring it in under budget than I thought it would--but I finally did it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 1st Jun 2018 at 10:55 PM
@AndrewGloria Thank you for catching that.

@quycksylver Welcome to the contest.

I'm not too well, so I'll add both of you later. Then we just need 3 more. If any of you know somebody who is interested let them know there are 2 days left.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#94 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 7:56 AM
I would like to join the contest. I will be able to start building tonight. If I understand correctly, I can pick any family from the list? Even If that family is already used by another contestant?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 8:06 AM
@Marleen267 You each have the pick of the 7 families, other contestants entries have nothing to do with yours.
You need to makeover the given house each round, choosing a family who you think will work for that house. Once chosen you can't use that family for the other rounds. Neither can you pick them for their old home if it comes up later. (they will) EG The Beaker's can't move back into the Beaker house.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#96 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Marleen267 You each have the pick of the 7 families, other contestants entries have nothing to do with yours.
You need to makeover the given house each round, choosing a family who you think will work for that house. Once chosen you can't use that family for the other rounds. Neither can you pick them for their old home if it comes up later. (they will) EG The Beaker's can't move back into the Beaker house.

Thank you for clarifying! I will start building tonight and will upload my entry.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 2:34 PM
Default Application - Round One : Ajay Loner
I have rehomed Ajay Loner! I update the home for the modern man!

Lab Assistant
#98 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 4:38 PM
Round One Entry: 73 Road to Nowhere - Singles

Quote:
The Single Ladies
A group of four female adult sims. Lola and Chloe are sisters, no one is employed.
Requirements: At least two bedrooms and two full bathrooms.
Bios:
Intelligent and focused, Lola knows what she wants and how to get it. She enjoys politics and telling those around her what to do. She is a fortune sim and daughter of Pollination Tech#9 Smith from the Smith family.
The complete opposite of her sister, Chloe just wants to meet new people and to have a good time. She can often be found daydreaming or chatting on the phone. Romance is her game and she is also daughter to Pollination Tech#9 Smith from the Smith family.
Erin spends a lot of time working on her psychic powers. Of course she isn't really psychic, but don't tell her that. Popularity is her goal and Loki beaker is her brother of the beaker family.
Kristen envisions herself as a world famous sports champion. She doesn't particularly care for Strangetown, but it's only a pit stop on her track to greatness. Kristen has no family ties to Strangetown that I can see, except for dead parents and grandparents in her family tree. She is fortune aspiration.

The Singles are pretty much my favourite family in Strangetown, so I had to pick them first! I usually play Erin and Kristen as a couple so that's reflected in the house. I also have always played aliens as being interested in plant life, so their homes tend to feature a lot of greenery.

The house has been modified to have 3 bedrooms (2 double, one single) and 2 full bathroom. There's also a kitchen, living area, small office, landing, and balcony.

I was definitely grumbling when I saw the lot for this round, but I'm actually pretty happy with the makeover. Maybe one day I'll actually use the basement as well

Please do let me know if the images are too large - I've resized them and they seem ok but I always worry about these things
Test Subject
#99 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:04 PM
Default Application Round 1: Specter
Ladies and Gentlemen I present the new house of the Specter Household

Mad Poster
#100 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 6:43 PM
I am really impressed by how original everybody is It is almost hard to believe everyone started with the same ugly lot! Very good work, all of you.

Page 4 of 25