Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 11:56 PM
Default Castaway Stories Graphics File
Hey all,

After watching a let's play I decided to pull out my old copy of castaway stories. The problem was that on newer systems the game can't detect resolution. On my first attempt to fix this issue by editing the graphics file, I ended up messing up which forced me to have to uninstall and reinstall the game. This was a huge hassle so here is a back up of the default graphic file for anyone in my boat.

Also here are some instructions on how to increase the resolution that I found from the site at the link below.
Widescreen resolution - Link
The game's maximum default resolution is 1600x1200. For higher resolutions you need to edit the following file:
Electronic Arts\The Sims Castaway Stories\TSData\Res\Config\Graphics Rules.sgr

Set maxResWidth and maxResHeight to your display's native width and height, or copy/paste the following:

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 2560
uintProp maxResHeight 1600
uintProp defaultResWidth 800
uintProp defaultResHeight 600

setting $Medium
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768

setting $High
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768
end
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Graphics Rules.rar (7.2 KB, 1643 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 7:51 PM
Can I edit more things? The ocean water in neighborhood mode and buy/build and live mode glitches, it has holes in it, and has a "mass, one color" texture. I have a decent graphics card, yet it looks like from the game that I not. Can I correct this with the graphics rules file or not?
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LiliLiliLili
Can I edit more things? The ocean water in neighborhood mode and buy/build and live mode glitches, it has holes in it, and has a "mass, one color" texture. I have a decent graphics card, yet it looks like from the game that I not. Can I correct this with the graphics rules file or not?

I think that your problem would be that the game does not recognize your graphics card and you should edit the Graphics rule file accordingly. I don't know how you would do it exactly you might try looking at the thread for editing the Graphics Rules file for the Sims 2 over at LeeFish.nl though. Do make a backup before making any changes though.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Nov 2018 at 2:20 PM
I treid it today and it did not work. What do I have to do ?
Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Nov 2018 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GreyGreey
I treid it today and it did not work. What do I have to do ?

can change it ebcause the Graphic Rules. sgr is not letting him change. It's write protected.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Nov 2018 at 6:54 PM
@GreyGreey you may have to copy your graphicsrules file to the desktop and edit it there, and then copy it back.
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@GreyGreey you may have to copy your graphicsrules file to the desktop and edit it there, and then copy it back.

I did that already but it does not work
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GreyGreey
I did that already but it does not work

What error do you get? Try opening it with a text editor using admin privileges.
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
What error do you get? Try opening it with a text editor using admin privileges.

It worked omg ty very much!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 2:30 PM
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 8th Oct 2020 at 12:41 PM
Thank you for this post. After installation on a new PC my game was stuck at 800x600, with no other options. The CAS menu now overlaps the Sim, unfortunately, since the UI doesn't scale, but it's workable, and preferable to the alternative. And with the provided link I managed to make anti aliasing work as well. Thank you!