Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#426 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
That's laundry dedication.

@aelflaed Here is the alarm that brings a burglar and the police, it should be in the pcsims bank set.

Aha, not a stick but an alarm-on-a-stick. Thanks! It will be in the set I have - I will try it out.
Thanks for posting a good link for the Hobby Lobby thread - I swear my second one worked last night!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#427 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 9:05 PM
It always amazes me that simmers can be so in sync! I was just working on some lots for my downtown and decided to put in a convenience store. I went hunting for cc to put on the shelves and that's when I discovered moocha-muses. I had posted about it in the "Look at This Awesome Thing I Found!" thread, but @Sunrader, were you looking for deco to use? I guess I'll post direct links anyway, as I was hunting for simlish deco to use and they weren't exactly easy to find. Maybe you and anyone else looking to set up a store can find something you like.

Warning, long list of links ahead! ...I think I went a little crazy in my efforts to be thorough.

So I found all that but ran into the problem a bit like Jo described, in that I would need to use OMSPs to make the shelf look full. So I as a quick fix, I used the bigger items in my convenience store but I have to go back and eventually edit the cc I want to keep so that they can be placed properly on the shelf. I'm pretty sure some OMSP changed the default shelves to hold more stuff, but I can't find it right now.

I do love the idea of that grocery store, Jo. Though I'm a bit too afraid to implement buying meal ingredients--seems like it could get too complicated. But I might do things like diapers and paper towels, etc. That could be fun.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#428 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 11:34 PM
I should at one point run a store that is an adoption center: Breed to get puppies/kittens and use the "Sale... A pet"' interaction. Never use, so you might have to befriend the customers take a visit, which in theory should be fun and challenging.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Alchemist
#429 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
It always amazes me that simmers can be so in sync! I was just working on some lots for my downtown and decided to put in a convenience store. I went hunting for cc to put on the shelves and that's when I discovered moocha-muses. I had posted about it in the "Look at This Awesome Thing I Found!" thread, but @Sunrader, were you looking for deco to use? I guess I'll post direct links anyway, as I was hunting for simlish deco to use and they weren't exactly easy to find. Maybe you and anyone else looking to set up a store can find something you like.

Fabulous list! Thanks for the shout!
Alchemist
#430 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 9:33 PM
Default Rosenwald School
Here is my school. It is based on an important historical model from the 1920's.

Booker Washington, an African-American educator, and Julius Rosenwald, philanthropist, began a project to bring schools to black communities in the American South. At the time, schools in the South were segregated. There was very little education available to black children, usually conducted in makeshift locations and with few resources. Many children did not attend at all.

Rosenwald schools were built by the community which would use them, with around half the funds raised by that community, and half provided by grant. They were to be administered by the state. In practice, sadly, this meant that Rosenwald schools often had to accept outdated textbooks and other equipment rejected by white schools, but it was at least a step in the right direction. Between 1917 and 1932, nearly five thousand schools were built with the assistance of the Rosenwald Fund. The program had significant effects on school attendance and literacy, with gains highest in the most disadvantaged areas. When segregation was stopped in the 1950's, Rosenwald schools lost their significance. Students joined the better-resourced and higher-status white establishments, and the Rosenwald schools fell into disuse. Few now survive.

Rosenwald schools aimed to provide trade skills as well as a solid grounding in the three Rs. Workshop buildings and farm practice fields were included in the guidelines, as well as designs for teacher housing. Most schools were built in rural areas, where plumbing and electricity were rare. The schools were designed to form a community hub and education centre for adults as well as children.

Washington and the Tuskegee Institute provided standardised plans, incorporating the latest in modern educational best practice. Funding was conditional on the school building being constructed and finished according to their stringent specifications, including the provision of new student desks of the latest style (occasionally something of a sore point, when white schools wanted to offload their old furniture).

Rosenwald plans are characterised by large banks of windows in each classroom, providing maximum natural light. They include an 'Industrial Room' for practical lessons, or a separate 'Shop' building where wood and metal trades could be taught. Sliding screens between spaces allow rooms to be combined to cater for larger community gatherings, and plans for bigger schools, with five or more teachers, include an auditorium space. The plans stipulated every detail to ensure quality results, from light-enhancing paint colours to the placement of outdoor toilets. Each plan was designed to make the most of its orientation in the landscape - east/west-facing plans were not to be used on a north/south-facing site! Materials stipulated were always to be good quality of their type, although nothing was extravagant, acknowledging the financial limitations of the community.

My school is a one-teacher model. It has a vegetable patch at the side for gardening skills, as well as a small amount of decorative planting. There is a basketball hoop and a climbing wall outside. The building has an extra door at the back, providing access to the outhouse and limiting traffic jams. The Industrial Room houses the kitchen, with the Cloakroom beside it. (I have since converted the cloakroom to hold a kids' pottery wheel and an electronics crafting station, so it is effectively a second workshop area). The classroom contains a few desks with Simlogical homework placemats, and various skill-building objects such as an easel, piano and block table.

My teacher (Julius Rosenwald, visible at the edge of one image) is in the EA education career, and each day, I imagine he is going to the little school across from his house. One day a week, he opens the school himself. The students (currently thirteen) are summoned. If any have grades of C or below, book work is created for them. Those who do not need extra schoolwork are free to socialize and choose their own activities. Since my kids all attend EA school when I play their homes, and the teacher has a career, playing the school lot is for my own satisfaction rather than the need to earn grades.

As well as playing the school once a week with the teacher, I sometimes take other households there during their rotation - representing the community function the Rosenwald schools aimed to provide. The lot is permanently 'closed' when Julius is running the school, so we don't have random non-students loitering about. When visited as a community space, anyone can be there.

The school is set up to cater mostly to primary schoolers. I will probably build a highschool further down the track, so the teens have better opportunities than this little school affords. There are a few teens attending now, but resources are very limited and they will quit halfway through their teen stage. Some may go to Uni, but others will not be eligible, or won't have the funds. The hood is still in the Early Settlement phase, and this is the first born-in-game generation.

The school usually opens around 8 - 9 a.m., and runs until dark. I use Inge's school bell and pupil tokens to bring the students in. I found her schoolwork place didn't suit me (too much micro-management required to keep kids working), but the homework place works fine. Once the student is called to their work, they generally stay until it is completed, and I can pay attention to the others. I also have one of Sophie-David's storybooks on the teacher's desk. Julius can activate it and teach from it when wanted, which earns him some cash and improves the kids' grades, but I have it turned off mostly - it is very attractive, and I want them to do other things too. And Julius already has a salary.

I try to watch rather than direct the school. I check whether anyone needs extra work, remind them occasionally about the privy or the kitchen if their needs are too low, make sure everyone gets introduced. Mostly they look after themselves, but I do need to cancel activities when I want someone to move on, and they don't tend the farm plot unless told.

Simlogical School Set : http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...ims2_School.htm
Sophie-David's Storybook: http://www.modthesims.info/d/577564...storybooks.html
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#431 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Here is my school. It is based on an important historical model from the 1920's.

What an interesting little school! Looks really fun to play as well

For any who are history buffs like myself, I would like to point out that segregation didn't 'stop' in the 50s. It's a common misconception that segregation ended with the civil rights movement but it didn't. The Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 60s was a movement meant to end LEGAL segregation of public spaces - including schools. However, it was left to the states to determine when and where and how, and there was actually no target date built in that states were expected to desegregate all public spaces by. Technically, it's still going on today - which is why if you've ever lived in or visited majority white communities in various parts of the US, the south in particular, there are some that still occasionally have segregated events, like proms and so on. In fact, in some states anti-miscegenation laws are still on the books, as well as 'one-drop' laws that all seek to limit individual freedoms based on their racial heritage. The incredible and tragic history of race in America is such that although these things happened oh - a generation or two ago (my university for example, desegregated in 1965, the year my mother was born) it still deeply affects minority communities today who continue to live with illegal segregation - such as redlining, and polices such as 'school choice' which essentially defund majority minority schools, despite the apparently 'well meant' intentions.
Mad Poster
#432 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 12:07 AM
It was demolished a few years ago, but the old junior high school in my town had "GIRLS" and "BOYS" clearly etched into the wall above the doors on either side.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#433 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
It was demolished a few years ago, but the old junior high school in my town had "GIRLS" and "BOYS" clearly etched into the wall above the doors on either side.

I guess that's also a type of segregation.
Alchemist
#434 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 8:32 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 6th Dec 2018 at 8:36 AM. Reason: selling novels question
Maybe I should have written 'officially stopped'.

It was only a very potted history, so people have some idea what they are looking at. I was fascinated to learn about it myself - not being American, I have less knowledge about this stuff than some of you. My hood is going for a New Orleans/Louisiana vibe, so it's quite a learning experience looking up historic buildings to recreate.

Glad you like the school!

Joandsarah, looking back to your library, you say the owner's novels are for sale. Have you found some way of getting multiple copies, or is each book a one-off? Can they be restocked? I thought I remembered a mod for this, but I can't find it now.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#435 Old 6th Dec 2018 at 8:52 AM
Sellable Novels http://modthesims.info/d/610895 They can restock them but "they show up standing upright on their bindings and are all called "Book Title", however, when they are bought they have the correct title and are functionally equivalent to the original novel"

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#436 Old 7th Dec 2018 at 10:47 AM
Sellable Novels http://modthesims.info/d/610895 They can restock them but "they show up standing upright on their bindings and are all called "Book Title", however, when they are bought they have the correct title and are functionally equivalent to the original novel"

Thank you, knew I had seen something. Been searching for ages. My google-fu must be weak at present.
Also, there is a comment in the thread reminding me that novels can be cloned by putting them in and out of inventory on an end table. I vaguely remember doing that, back in the day.
Alchemist
#437 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 1:03 AM
So I hadn't actually played it yet as I had only just finished the uploaded version. The main idea of mine was from seeing how ingredients are used in Sims 3 and 4.

In sims 3 I know your sim has to buy ingredients and use them to cook. https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/...recipe-list.php So to make waffles your sim needs to have eggs. But I have no interest in rabbit holes.

In sims 4 ingredients magically appear while deducting money; that doesn't interest me, but needing ingredients on hand to make dishes does.

I wanted a shop that could sell singular ingredients like a packet of flour, a carton of eggs, a loaf of bread etc. Before this I just had a few staples in my smaller shops, but I wanted a larger one with a bigger range.

I just saw this and I didn't remember it being mentioned here so thought I'd add it. Leefish made loaves of bread that act as ingredients. http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=8679
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#438 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 1:04 AM
Yes, I tested it for her.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Meet Me In My Next Life
#439 Old 25th Feb 2020 at 2:24 AM
This is such a wonderful thread with great business ideas to share.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#440 Old 25th Feb 2020 at 3:58 AM
Hi Simonut!

I'm sorry you deleted your post about your Sims' nightclub in your thread. I found it fascinating to read. Could you repeat the post in this thread? Please!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#441 Old 26th Feb 2020 at 12:39 AM
@AndrewGloria I did not know that Jo"s already did a thread about businesses, out of respect for her that why I deleted my thread, yes I will repeat here about some of the things.
I never played owned business but one time and it was terrible my Sims file for bankruptcy I have had OFB for years but never went back in that direction, I decided for 2020 I would try once again.

Reading the OFB Prima Game Guide book I learn some new details It mention the finale business was a venue that trades upon it's desirability as a place to be, to see, to be seen and to spend time ( A hot spot )
it's purpose is to sell experiences rather than products, toward a Sims needs like fun or other Skills. We all know with all of the CC and Mods we all can build this kind venues within out game that would be under that category.

So I decided to let my Pleasure Sims "Adam Perry" own and run a Night club name "Dance All Night" his main career is in Athletic he is at the top and is platinum, he work three days a week days off he run his night club.
Right now he have four employees two bartender, a DJ and a Sims that sells ticket ( Electrono Ticket Machine ) One of the bartender is Goopy the townie he came with already two badges ( he a good worker he came with a fairly price pay )

My DJ Christy townie is an excellent DJ she also have two badges and came with a fairly price pay, Jill also a townie no badges is a bartender and the seller Ally have no badges but both seem to be good worker.
I use a mod to up Jill cooking skills I figure she would need it to mix drinks also with the seller I gave her more charisma it will help her to sell better and talk Sims into buying a ticket. So far so good.

Some of the things I have in the club to make it a place to be or hot spot is"
1. Dance Floor using those floor tiles that change colors. DJ Booth.
2. Nice size bar with bar stools that circle around, the counters I use more modern counters and stools.
3, I have two vendor machine one Sims can buy beer ( and will act like they are drunk ) next machine they can buy snaps like Chips etc.
4. Pool table, Card table, Chess Table, Dart board, Pinball Machine, and a Bubble Blower ( converted with a mod to be smoking weed ) NO to be clear I do not smoke weed, but my Sims do ) lol
5. Just recently I added a TV overhead at the bar area since in real life they do that.
6. Rest room for Sims Male and Female.

I also made sure the walls and floor was colorful not boring. This was a community lot that I turn into private owned, this is in my custom neighborhood I have three more clubs they will stay as is this will be my only owned lot.
Take my time to see have it will work out. I was throw for a loop when three employees when my Sims called them in to work they all said " We are too tired to work today" can you imagine saying that on your job in real life ?

I also read that Sims need at least 6 Sims hour to get their energy up to come back to work. I also use the Simwardrobe mod that allow you to set the amount of Sims to come to your business and Monique fairly paid mod it let you know
when a Sims is under paid you can set their pay to be fair if not they will decide to walk. lol

Meet Me In My Next Life
#442 Old 26th Feb 2020 at 11:54 PM Last edited by Simonut : 27th Feb 2020 at 12:31 AM.
Sorry to double post but there is excellent information in this thread from different creators who show and give owned or community business tips. I wish we all try to keep it bump up so it will not get lost in the dust.
It's not how old a thread might be it's the value of the information in it. also good for newbies, and oldies.

Page 18 of 18