Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 1:52 AM
Default Finding my dream computer...
I'm now able to start saving up to get my dream computer, but I have no idea what it is. I don't really know much about computers, or which are the best. I'm hoping someone here may be able to steer me in the right direction. Basically, I want a computer that can run my games smoothly. I want something with great graphics, and lots of space to mod the hell out of my games (not just sims). I don't have money falling out of my butt, so something that isn't insane with price would help a lot.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 6:54 AM
Hmmm. It sounds like maybe you should start by learning some more about computers. Asking for advice on a forum like this is a good idea, but since we don't know your price range or what games you're trying to play, or any of those details, the advice we give is probably going to be pretty general. Even if one of us does suggest a specific computer, we'll have no idea if it's really what will work for you.

If you plan on spending a good amount of your money on something like this, I think you should take the time to learn what your options are and what it all means. There are a lot of resources on the web that will explain things like processors, RAM, and hard drives if you just enter some things into your favorite search engine. That way, you can be right on top of things and know you're getting a good deal when you find one.
#3 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 12:30 PM
Every flat surface in my house is covered in junk. I have too much junk, including enough old computers to start a museum. So, laptops. I used to assemble my own computers from parts - graphics card, mother board, memory, case etc.

The laptop I'm using now is beat up and broken, mostly because playing the sims gets it so hot that the plastic case becomes toasted and breaks off. I dropped it once and now I have power cord issues.

As soon as I get done busting this computer...
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-17/pd
I'm going to get one of these Alienware computers. Mostly for the logo on the cover.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 1:38 PM
Sims does tend to overheat a laptop, especially TS3. That's why I really don't recommend playing TS3 on laptops period, regardless of the specs. Even though I have to because Windoze 8 doesn't support my desktop's graphics card so it can't play TS2 or TS3.

Here's a list of the MTS recommendations for system specs:
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...em_Requirements
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Recommendations

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 29th Aug 2015 at 4:53 PM
This thread might get you started. I found it immensely helpful when I started learning how to build my own. In my opinion, still the most budget-friendly option and gives you the best for your buck. It does require some learning but overall, it's not that hard. This is coming from someone who is utterly and completely not handy.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=330413
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 8:22 PM
@AmandieLove that list is 5 years out. The hardware on that list are horrid compared to what the market offers currently.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 1:42 AM
Take time to consider "Do I want a Desktop or Laptop?" The pros and cons are another thing to mull over.

I actually had to do that 3 years ago with my current computer.

Remember, all that glitters is not gold.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
#8 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Remember, all that glitters is not gold.

pfft try telling a dwarf that ...
#9 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:37 AM
oooo, shiney!! Must be gold!
#10 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
oooo, shiney!! Must be gold!

*imperious glare*

wizards ....
Test Subject
#11 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 3:40 AM
This site can come in pretty handy: http://pcpartpicker.com/

What's your budget?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 10:26 AM
As soon as I get done busting this computer...
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-17/pd
I'm going to get one of these Alienware computers. Mostly for the logo on the cover.

It's because it's frowning isn't it?

I concur with SR to this extent - I wouldn't personally worry about a 'dream computer' mainly because a few years down the line it's not going to be a dream but will start lagging behind performance-wise. My approach to buying computers is getting the best bang for my buck and for the system to be designed to do what I want it to do (play the sims but a lot else besides).

With an electronic engineer for a husband, I build my own (well, he does most of the actual building obviously). The last build was done just before Christmas last year and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's also been built to be future-proof as much as we could so the next item on the list to do is a more powerful video card.

Anyway, work out what you want the machine to do and then think about what you need to have to do it and don't invest yourself in the dream computer idea because ultimately that way lies disappointment. Also, once you're on your way to working it out, I'd go over to the computer & software support section here:
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=563
That section doesn't get too much traffic but one of the mods (ajaxsirius I think) is really knowledgeable and helpful.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
#13 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 11:21 PM
Windows 8 is good. Pretty well-rounded, in my opinion. You can use it for business and video games. They seem to be more durable, too. You could also get a Mac, but there's gonna be some issues when it comes to gaming and computer life. Trust me, I've seen it. But, I guess Apple never really intended their Macs to be used as a gaming platform or to last /that/ long. That would explain a lot of things...

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Graveyard Snowflake
Windows 8 is good. Pretty well-rounded

Far from it. As a W8.1 user myself, I'd ultimately say that Windows 8 is my most disliked OS from Microsoft. A majority of the customization features of W7 are gone, and most of the older applications and games I have don't even run. Not even in compatibility mode, where as on W7 they did. Then mix that with a non-intuitive obtrusive GUI that seems designed for mobile devices, and you just get a clusterfuck of questionable design and programming.

#15 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Far from it. As a W8.1 user myself, I'd ultimately say that Windows 8 is my most disliked OS from Microsoft. A majority of the customization features of W7 are gone, and most of the older applications and games I have don't even run. Not even in compatibility mode, where as on W7 they did. Then mix that with a non-intuitive obtrusive GUI that seems designed for mobile devices, and you just get a clusterfuck of questionable design and programming.

Widows 10 has people in fits. It wills soon be up there with Windows 8 and Vista in having earned the contempt of the people.

Microsoft doesn't care, they have a monopoly because I can't get the sims to run on Linux.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:20 AM Last edited by HarVee : 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:33 AM.
I can't get the sims to run on Linux.

That's shameful. Here I was thinking of partitioning this drive and installing Linux just to try it out.

#17 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 12:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
That's shameful. Here I was thinking of partitioning this drive and installing Linux just to try it out.

I'm on my linux partition now, because I'm going to go to work and don't have time to play Sims.

All I use Windows for is playing sims and catching computer viruses. That's it.