Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2626 Old 5th Apr 2018 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
All this is simple texture override, extract the colored out and replace it with the grey one, but you still get the you do not own this pack message if you try to click it, and occasionally nagged on the splash you should buy it, also the next major patch will almost certainly break that, but then better than nothing at all I suppose...

Or just ignore the home page players are on for not even 5 seconds.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2627 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 12:35 AM
I have forgotten.............. what is the topic here? Oh, stuff packs. LOL
Field Researcher
#2628 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 12:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have forgotten.............. what is the topic here? Oh, stuff packs. LOL

Yes back on topic.

Pet Rocks... yes I see that is being the next stuff pack. I mentioned it over in the Game packs thread as well...that was a whole Porta Potty idea...but I digress. Since EA has give little to no information as to their next move... speculation is rampant. Therefore I have guessed that the Talking porta potty will be the next game pack, and that Pet Rocks will be the next Stuff Pack. Of course everyone will need to have Cats & Dogs and the new My first pet stuff to play the Pet Rocks stuff pack... it will be a DLC for DLC for DLC. Oh yeah it will be about $20.00 bucks.

But honestly...I bet they are just gearing up to announce a new platform that the game can be played on. Probably no real new content.
Mad Poster
#2629 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 1:10 AM
I skipped laundry and first pets so am not dancing in the street waiting for the next one. I am most curious about how they will do seasons assuming that EP comes before this version is done. I may be done with stuff packs. Probably.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#2630 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 2:51 AM
Ok folks, while I understand the annoyance you feel from TheGoodOldGamer's comments, just report and ignore. No need to fuel the fire...

And now back to your regularly scheduled forum
Forum Resident
#2631 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 4:33 AM
I'm too lazy to go and find the quarterly teaser. Is there any info on anything at all? Not that we need another stuff pack so soon, I think.

FOR THE HORDE
Field Researcher
#2632 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
I'm too lazy to go and find the quarterly teaser. Is there any info on anything at all? Not that we need another stuff pack so soon, I think.

No teaser this time.. just exciting news coming
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#2633 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 5:49 AM
Their idea of exciting and my idea probably do not match! LOL Am not holding my breath in anticipation. :D
Forum Resident
#2634 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel
No teaser this time.. just exciting news coming

Exciting news like game and stuff packs, because that's the only thing they can give us. I don't know why they've gotta be all secretive about it.

FOR THE HORDE
Mad Poster
#2635 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 7:49 AM
Another one bites the dust. Critics being shot and taken down left and right (like @drake_mccarty). Why does that not surprise me?
Instructor
#2636 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 7:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Their idea of exciting and my idea probably do not match! LOL Am not holding my breath in anticipation. :D

I just remember the time that something exciting was mentioned and all it was, was those Star Wars costumes. I don't want exciting from games, I want something that can hold my attention for more than five minutes. A friend did joke the other night about next SP would be a DLC for a DLC for a DLC for a DLC. I just think if a pack requires a DLC to play, just let the modding community create recolors instead which they did and it ended up looking a lot better than the CAS parts Maxis recolored. I think my biggest fear is that something like this will happen again and I hope that the Game Changers stick to their initial feelings about this. It was only recently I heard some of the biggest Game Changers thought the Sims 4 base game was lacking. So it is like I don't even know if Maxis is even listening to the Game Changers they hired of what works and what doesn't in the Sims franchise either sometimes let alone to someone who isn't one. That's why EA got their reputation is they will do what they want regardless of customer feedback and I don't see that changing anytime soon. They aren't invincible as shown by the Golden Poo award in the past. Not that I support riots like with recent media events. I just think that social media sometimes causes lack of communication and how people really feel and are like. People shouldn't be afraid of being honest with the instant "negative" labels regardless of who they are.

I wish that both Simmers and Gurus would allow for Game Changers to be more transparent instead of everything feeling like they have to read off a script. It was embarrassing watching a recent Twitch Sims stream and having it feel as scripted and tedious as the 1 hour videos of going over every swatch of every CAS part that some Youtube videos Simmers do. It is like ugh, why does this have to be so long when LGR can cover a pack in ten minutes with far more information? Especially with stuff packs, it doesn't take that long to go over CAS parts. All I want to know is why I should buy a pack instead of going over a pack like someone is dressing up their Barbie dolls.

We are in a day and age that indie games are becoming more popular and social media can change cause both good and harm in a split second. Anyways all the Sims community can do is speculate until then, but it seems like any news Sims related is dried up fast or non-existent during this iteration. I almost feel like lately products are advertised until last minute now because of how products have been received haven't had the same hype and real excitement that the other iterations had. I actually ran into someone on Twitch today and found out we were both Simmers and they mention how they play the Sims 3. We were both like meh when the Sims 4 was mentioned.

Anyways back closer to topic, was interesting finding out the biggest request with giveaways are stuff packs now. I was even reading a gaming article how $10 is too much for stuff packs. So makes me think is it a product type that is worth keeping? Can people afford it especially with the international tax change laws? Are there too many stuff packs compared to other pack types, that people can't keep up with the rapid releases? At first I was worried about Expansion Packs being at risk at not staying, but given recent events Stuff Packs might be even more so. I guess I'll see it how it plays out with the next iteration, whenever that may be of if the existing marketing plan will be kept, or lessons learned from the Sims 4 will change it.
Field Researcher
#2637 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Another one bites the dust. Critics being shot and taken down left and right (like @drake_mccarty). Why does that not surprise me?

Really? That seemed to come out of nowhere.

On topic - after the horror that is my first pet I was thinking they couldn’t possibly scrape the bottom of the barrel any more but I have faith that they will find a a way. I know that if Seasons doesn’t come this year I think the community may implode.
Mad Poster
#2638 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 9:12 AM
Those who are still loyal will just keep on waiting for Seasons, patiently or not. That, and with Pets, is what makes the collection "complete". I would at least assume that half would then stop collecting after it's released.
Instructor
#2639 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scobre
We are in a day and age that indie games are becoming more popular and social media can change cause both good and harm in a split second.

This is another reason I think we may be seeing the beginning of the end for EA. And again, I absolutely mean years before the end, but I think we're seeing flaws in their company philosophy that aren't being acknowledged as much as they used to. The EA from 16 years ago was a good company making good sports games, the EA from ten years ago knew they were greedy bastards and threw the fans a bone once in a while to keep people coming....the EA today seems to have forgotten how to throw a bone.

Stardew Valley dethroned Harvest Moon.
Cities: Skylines replaced SimCity.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance recently showed that yes, an indie company can produce a game with AAA-title quality, scope and depth.

It is outrageously stupid to think the Sims is "too big to fail." Even now they neglect a huge chunk of the fanbase: anyone that wants realism or drama. These new Sims are happy 24/7 and never face serious problems. There is no substance, there is no failure state, there is no chance for a sudden, unplanned dramatic change. I adamantly believe that that Rachel Project Lead was "so close and yet so far" when she said it was a goal to make the Sims like reality TV. Reality TV is incredibly fake (just like the constant happiness in Sims 4), obnoxious and often caters to the lowest common denominator. It provokes no thought or discussion, it's just a train wreck we watch happen and then we move on. Soap Operas on the other hand, I think would work as a great blueprint for the Sims. So many players incorporate drama in their stories where one sim has a child with the husband's brother, or there's a sudden divorce that shakes up the family, or they just have a sim that sleeps around and juggles relationships. Let my Sims kill each other because one had an affair with another, let my Sims fall into a depression of sorts (doesn't need to hit too close to home; Sims 2's failure states functioned just fine), let my Sims happy-go-lucky life be ruined by a sudden death in the family or being fired for some grave mistake.

The moment another dev recognizes the demand for a more serious Sims game that incorporates drama, they've already got a hook to encourage sales and get people to try their competitor. I do not think EA is honestly in any condition to compete if that happens, simply because plenty of other developers (Nintendo, Indie studios) make games because they're truly passionate about the project, whereas for EA the bottom line is always money. Other devs seem to want to shy away from the discussion of "what should we cut due to time restraints" whereas EA jumps on that question since they can solve the issue of time restraints while simultaneously discovering ways to increase profit by lowering production value.

EA has a very impressive, very tall house of cards with the Sims....but it's still a house of cards. I feel like Sims 4 is basically akin to if they decided to turn on their desk fan as they continue to build the house, because even though it's a bad idea for the house of cards itself, it's what they want for themselves so they just do it. All it takes though is one competitor giving that desk a nudge while offering an alternative, and I think the Sims would be in trouble.

Could happen within 2 years, could happen within 10. Hell, it may never happen if they're lucky, but I definitely feel like EA may be underestimating an indie market that's growing increasingly capable and viable. It just takes one before problems arise for them.
Field Researcher
#2640 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
This is another reason I think we may be seeing the beginning of the end for EA. And again, I absolutely mean years before the end, but I think we're seeing flaws in their company philosophy that aren't being acknowledged as much as they used to. The EA from 16 years ago was a good company making good sports games, the EA from ten years ago knew they were greedy bastards and threw the fans a bone once in a while to keep people coming....the EA today seems to have forgotten how to throw a bone.

Stardew Valley dethroned Harvest Moon.
Cities: Skylines replaced SimCity.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance recently showed that yes, an indie company can produce a game with AAA-title quality, scope and depth.

It is outrageously stupid to think the Sims is "too big to fail." Even now they neglect a huge chunk of the fanbase: anyone that wants realism or drama. These new Sims are happy 24/7 and never face serious problems. There is no substance, there is no failure state, there is no chance for a sudden, unplanned dramatic change. I adamantly believe that that Rachel Project Lead was "so close and yet so far" when she said it was a goal to make the Sims like reality TV. Reality TV is incredibly fake (just like the constant happiness in Sims 4), obnoxious and often caters to the lowest common denominator. It provokes no thought or discussion, it's just a train wreck we watch happen and then we move on. Soap Operas on the other hand, I think would work as a great blueprint for the Sims. So many players incorporate drama in their stories where one sim has a child with the husband's brother, or there's a sudden divorce that shakes up the family, or they just have a sim that sleeps around and juggles relationships. Let my Sims kill each other because one had an affair with another, let my Sims fall into a depression of sorts (doesn't need to hit too close to home; Sims 2's failure states functioned just fine), let my Sims happy-go-lucky life be ruined by a sudden death in the family or being fired for some grave mistake.

The moment another dev recognizes the demand for a more serious Sims game that incorporates drama, they've already got a hook to encourage sales and get people to try their competitor. I do not think EA is honestly in any condition to compete if that happens, simply because plenty of other developers (Nintendo, Indie studios) make games because they're truly passionate about the project, whereas for EA the bottom line is always money. Other devs seem to want to shy away from the discussion of "what should we cut due to time restraints" whereas EA jumps on that question since they can solve the issue of time restraints while simultaneously discovering ways to increase profit by lowering production value.

EA has a very impressive, very tall house of cards with the Sims....but it's still a house of cards. I feel like Sims 4 is basically akin to if they decided to turn on their desk fan as they continue to build the house, because even though it's a bad idea for the house of cards itself, it's what they want for themselves so they just do it. All it takes though is one competitor giving that desk a nudge while offering an alternative, and I think the Sims would be in trouble.

Could happen within 2 years, could happen within 10. Hell, it may never happen if they're lucky, but I definitely feel like EA may be underestimating an indie market that's growing increasingly capable and viable. It just takes one before problems arise for them.

I agree with this. It amuses me that many people think that EA are untouchable and that it’s impossible for any one to ever make a competitor. But then there are some that believe other developers are falling over themselves to salute EA for the amazing work they do.
Mad Poster
#2641 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
I agree with this. It amuses me that many people think that EA are untouchable and that it’s impossible for any one to ever make a competitor. But then there are some that believe other developers are falling over themselves to salute EA for the amazing work they do.

Certainly not impossible (like the game we're talking about is what validates this argument), but it is challenging or at least expensive to invest in or the combination of both. Somebody would have already taken the shot/opportunity do it through the years of the franchise and up to now there is no game closest to The Sims and we all know it. Paradox could have done it such offer by fans, but decline. Activist too.
Field Researcher
#2642 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 10:59 PM
Remember, some time ago, Grant showed icons of rats, cockroaches found on photoshoot and said that these icons are just a joke? Maybe the developers then searched for the icon for My First Pet Stuff?
Top Secret Researcher
#2643 Old 6th Apr 2018 at 11:43 PM
Indeed, I first heard of the original Sims (1, that is) on R.A.T.S.A. (rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc) where fans of General Hospital and All My Children were recreating their favorite soap opera families on it, and having a ton of fun.

ETA: A life simulator just is pretty far away from Paradox's wheelhouse, which is grand strategy. (The closest thing they make to such a thing is CK2, which is a hybrid of that with an RPG. I call it their "medieval soap opera plot generator.") Colossal Order (who are published by Paradox)? That might be another story; but they're still quite small, and I suspect are working on expansions for Cities Skylines full time. Hopefully one day they'll surprise me and pull The Cims out of their hats.
Scholar
#2644 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
ETA: A life simulator just is pretty far away from Paradox's wheelhouse, which is grand strategy. (The closest thing they make to such a thing is CK2, which is a hybrid of that with an RPG. I call it their "medieval soap opera plot generator.") Colossal Order (who are published by Paradox)? That might be another story; but they're still quite small, and I suspect are working on expansions for Cities Skylines full time. Hopefully one day they'll surprise me and pull The Cims out of their hats.

Tbh I've always thought that life simulation should have alot of grand strategy built in, because it kinda is a strategy game aswell as a simulation. What makes a great simulation is the players ability to manipulate and play different outcomes. Otherwise it might aswell be a point and click game. I've always dreamed of getting even more elaborate control of the sim world, like population control, government and political systems, social systems, different hierarchies, time periods etc. I want to play a life simulator as a grand strategy game where the sims are the focus, and where the environment and grand strategy is an integral part of telling the story of a single sim or sim family. The possibilities are endless.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Theorist
#2645 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Apsalar
Tbh I've always thought that life simulation should have alot of grand strategy built in, because it kinda is a strategy game aswell as a simulation. What makes a great simulation is the players ability to manipulate and play different outcomes. Otherwise it might aswell be a point and click game. I've always dreamed of getting even more elaborate control of the sim world, like population control, government and political systems, social systems, different hierarchies, time periods etc. I want to play a life simulator as a grand strategy game where the sims are the focus, and where the environment and grand strategy is an integral part of telling the story of a single sim or sim family. The possibilities are endless.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

All of this, please.

I want there to be strategy involved. I WANT there to be bad outcomes and consequences. I want decisions to effect things, for better or worse. I want a game that MEANS something.
Top Secret Researcher
#2646 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 5:53 PM
I want plenty of strategy involved. "Grand strategy," however, usually involves world conquest, or at the very least, invading the neighbors.
Theorist
#2647 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 5:58 PM
I want plenty of strategy involved. "Grand strategy," however, usually involves world conquest, or at the very least, invading the neighbors.

True, but based on this team's track record of coming up short on everything they attempt, if we say grand strategy we may just barely get some semblance of consequence instead :v

If we massively overreach, the usual spectacular failure might end up riiiight where we want it, lol.
Scholar
#2648 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 6:22 PM

Well I guess it depends on what you mean with that word then, but honestly, I want simulators to reach towards just that kind of scale. Usually grand strategy have a different focus, like war or conquest, but in essence it could mean alot of things.
IMO grand strategy means you have a different level of control over the situation that unravels, aswell as real difficulty and real consequences. So maybe it wouldn't be grand strategy in the normal sense, but one that is focused on family life/neighborhood life/city life. The focus is on the sim, but you have this elaborate system and world as a background, where you casually plop down a sim and guide him/her through their life, throw in a disaster or two, make them happy or miserable and watch it unfold.
A strategy sim would be more focused on the challenges of making a sim happy, or even deliberately watch them crash and burn in unhappiness. And then, when all hope is lost, you could play them back to happiness. Now THAT would be entertaining.
It's the same rules as any story - without conflict it's not interesting.

So be it. Move. ~Jason Bourne
Simblr
Field Researcher
#2649 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear

I had a whole conversation over on the EA forums about his very thing. It is mind boggling that people think EA/Maxis is the only company that can do a Sims life simulator game. The response is, "well if it's so easy, why hasn't anyone challenged EA yet". Because there has never really been a need for a competitor until now. Despite any flaws in the previous versions of The sims, everyone always found a way to actually enjoy the game. TS4 has changed that... Even with all the added content...the gameplay is stale at best. No matter how many stuff packs, Game Packs and horrendous Expansions they throw our way...the game stays stale. You really think no other company in the industry is going to take notice at that???!! And to assume that no other developer is as Talented as the developers of the Sims are out there...well that's just asinine.

Developers are not gonna just announce they are working on it... they aren't going to brag about it. they are going to stay quiet and make sure that what they come up with is far better than what EA/Maxis has ever done. But with the mass discontent for what has been done with the game, and the recent blatant cash grab tactics that EA/Maxis is no longer hiding or even trying to be subtle about.... You can bet, that has not gone unnoticed by the gaming community as a whole. I'm not saying we will get something tomorrow...Hell it might be 2 years from now. But I do believe someone will make a competitor in the near future.

Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

All of this, please.

I want there to be strategy involved. I WANT there to be bad outcomes and consequences. I want decisions to effect things, for better or worse. I want a game that MEANS something.

I agree wholeheartedly with this too. You know... EA really missed the boat with the supernaturals in this respect....outcomes and consequences... the effect that supernaturals would have on a sims world... the same with Seasons and weather. Not to mention just the cause and effect of actual everyday life decisions. Unexpected pregnancy and how that really affects a relationship. Step parents and children. There is a whole element of Pets and the relationship, bonding, and all the unexpected things that happens with them that has gone completely untapped. I mean someone could really make The Sims a full immersive experience if done right. I'd be willing to wait for that game.
Field Researcher
#2650 Old 7th Apr 2018 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel
I had a whole conversation over on the EA forums about his very thing. It is mind boggling that people think EA/Maxis is the only company that can do a Sims life simulator game. The response is, "well if it's so easy, why hasn't anyone challenged EA yet". Because there has never really been a need for a competitor until now. Despite any flaws in the previous versions of The sims, everyone always found a way to actually enjoy the game. TS4 has changed that... Even with all the added content...the gameplay is stale at best. No matter how many stuff packs, Game Packs and horrendous Expansions they throw our way...the game stays stale. You really think no other company in the industry is going to take notice at that???!! And to assume that no other developer is as Talented as the developers of the Sims are out there...well that's just asinine.

Developers are not gonna just announce they are working on it... they aren't going to brag about it. they are going to stay quiet and make sure that what they come up with is far better than what EA/Maxis has ever done. But with the mass discontent for what has been done with the game, and the recent blatant cash grab tactics that EA/Maxis is no longer hiding or even trying to be subtle about.... You can bet, that has not gone unnoticed by the gaming community as a whole. I'm not saying we will get something tomorrow...Hell it might be 2 years from now. But I do believe someone will make a competitor in the near future.

I agree wholeheartedly with this too. You know... EA really missed the boat with the supernaturals in this respect....outcomes and consequences... the effect that supernaturals would have on a sims world... the same with Seasons and weather. Not to mention just the cause and effect of actual everyday life decisions. Unexpected pregnancy and how that really affects a relationship. Step parents and children. There is a whole element of Pets and the relationship, bonding, and all the unexpected things that happens with them that has gone completely untapped. I mean someone could really make The Sims a full immersive experience if done right. I'd be willing to wait for that game.

I remember such a conversation there. I can’t remember if that was the topic that said other developers laugh at fans for not understanding how difficult it is to make the sims 4.

I agree, there has never been any real need before now. This is the first sims release that I have seen that has divided fans so much. Not saying the sims 3 was universally loved but it didn’t cause this divide.

The lack of consequence in 4 is a major, major flaw.
Page 106 of 141