Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Dec 2016 at 10:23 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to create a collections file to organise clutter
Hi everyone,

I've been struggling trying to go through my clutter when building because it takes hours to find the right thing. A subscriber of mine suggested that I create a collections folder but I'm not sure how to do it out of game. Can anyone help me?
My cc is all organised, so is it easier to do this in game of outside of it?

Thanks in advance
Mary
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 9th Dec 2016 at 10:58 PM
I think it would be easier to do outside of the game if your cc is organized. Collection Creator is an old program by jfade (no idea if site is up anymore). You can create collections by adding files or a whole folder, choose a custom icon, choose resi/comm or both (pets & up).
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Dec 2016 at 11:06 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 9th Dec 2016 at 11:48 PM.
It's usually easier to do it ingame, but there are a few ways to do it outside. I couldn't find a tutorial, but this topic shows a few ways: http://modthesims.info/t/481527

If you're uploading CC, you can make a collection file ingame and pick it up from the Collections folder (same location as Downloads). It will have a random name, but you can change it to whatever you like. You can also give it a custom icon: http://mswn.livejournal.com/53196.html

Personally, I often prefer to edit the OBJDs for objects (in SimPE) so they can be found in more suitable places. Anything plant-related goes in the plant section, deco food and plate settings and such go in the appliances/misc, bathroom deco goes in the plumbing/misc, deco books go into hobby/knowledge, deco toys go in misc/child, and so on. This frees up a lot of space in the deco and sculpture sections, and makes it easier to find stuff related to a spesific section. You can also edit the price, so you have similar items together in the category ($0 and up).

I also have a lot of hospital deco - but I've never really figured out where the best place for it is. I've tried collections, but they tend to get clogged up with other things, and I've tried to find a logical place, but there's nowhere. So mostly I've just put it in the front of the sculpture and misc category by editing the price (usually $0-$5, so it ends up at the front). That way I don't have to go through the entire catalog to find things.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Dec 2016 at 11:16 PM
I make mine in game as I go. A few times I have changed an objects location because the location it came in was silly. PCsims picnic basket fridge was in deco... so I moved it to fridges. Sometimes doing that is enough, other times I just make a new collection and drag items (mostly deco) into the folder. I downloaded a heap of new icons so most of these have simmer made pictures not the game ones, also makes it easier to find as I flip through collections. My baby shop stuff is in a folder with a yellow duck and school stuff has a folder with a pile of books.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I also have a lot of hospital deco - but I've never really figured out where the best place for it is. I've tried collections, but they tend to get clogged up with other things, and I've tried to find a logical place, but there's nowhere. So mostly I've just put it in the front of the sculpture and misc category by editing the price (usually $0-$5, so it ends up at the front). That way I don't have to go through the entire catalog to find things.

With stuff like that, I stick it into a collection and then make it invisible to the catalogue.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
With stuff like that, I stick it into a collection and then make it invisible to the catalogue.

so if i make a collection ingame...will it move the cc into that folder and away from the random places its in?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 2:18 AM
No, making one in game means it stays in the catalogue but also shows up in the collection.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 11:12 AM
Jo's right - when I say make it invisible to the catalogue, I mean I adjust the catalogue settings in the file after I've added it to a collection. As my original post indicated, there are two steps.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 11:43 AM
Default Sorry - Sidequestion
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I think it would be easier to do outside of the game if your cc is organized. Collection Creator is an old program by jfade (no idea if site is up anymore). You can create collections by adding files or a whole folder, choose a custom icon, choose resi/comm or both (pets & up).

This Program supports only Furniture right? Is there a tool that can make such Collections with Clothes?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Dec 2016 at 7:19 PM
Jo's right - when I say make it invisible to the catalogue, I mean I adjust the catalogue settings in the file after I've added it to a collection. As my original post indicated, there are two steps.

This is the first time I'm hearing of this and its kinda confusing me, but If i use the tool you linked and make the collection files and it makes the items invisible in catelogue....will it affect my ability to extract cc with packaged lots?
Field Researcher
#11 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Q-Base
This Program supports only Furniture right? Is there a tool that can make such Collections with Clothes?

There is a plug-in for SimPE at Source-Forge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/si...load?source=dlp
which can make Collections for Objects for different lots types and for Clothes.
Theorist
#12 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
... Collection Creator is an old program by jfade (no idea if site is up anymore). ....

http://sims.jfade.com/ .. Yes, his site works, but just in maintain the site, he doesn't offer any further assistance .. just an fyi for his other mods and stuff as well

Here is a tutorial I found awhile back on makin collection only files http://nanashi.sims2.net/?tag=collection-only-set (scroll down as it's under that first post)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 7:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SheGamerReloaded
This is the first time I'm hearing of this and its kinda confusing me, but If i use the tool you linked and make the collection files and it makes the items invisible in catelogue....will it affect my ability to extract cc with packaged lots?

I didn't link to any kind of tool (personally, I use Sims Cat and SimPE for this sort of thing) so I guess you're not addressing me but to be clear, as far as I am aware, no programme can both make collections and make items invisible in the catalogue. As I said upthread, it's a two-stage process - make the collection - make the object invisible - and it needs two different programmes.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 7:32 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Jan 2017 at 8:46 PM.

I usually make collections too - but I usually don't want to make them invisible because I often need to use the drop tool, and it doesn't work on collections-only items.

As for clothes, the collections only show in CAS. But you can change the "sortindex" number (I think). This will make items show up more sensibly in CAS and in the buy menu. The wardrobe will be as disorganized as ever, though. It is a big job, so you must reeeeeally want to have an organized CAS if you have a lot of clothes. Once you've done this, every new clothing item you makein Bodyshop will have one number up from the highest sortindex number in your Downloads/Savedsims folders, and usually ends up at the front of the menu.
Test Subject
#15 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 2:45 PM
Hi Folks, CLSVE just gave me this tip in a other Post. Where i asked how i could Influence the Sequence of CC clothing appearing in Game. (I nearly fliped out when i saw this) OK its not a "Collection" but i think a very good way to sort Clothing everywere. Here the link http://www.woodensimolean.com/node/250

-Add- Here a link to my Post just in case... http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=586797
Hope it Help :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Dec 2016 at 5:42 PM Last edited by SheGamerReloaded : 2nd Jan 2017 at 4:46 PM.
Default Help
Thank you all for your help with this thread. I prefer to make the collection folders in game and use the organiser to move cc and its recolours to individual folders. I've stumbled upon an issue with the collections. Every item in my table lamp section has gone into the collection folder i want it to be in apart from 1 and I don't know why. Can anyone help? don't worry, I already had the item in my collection

Edit: I've now stumbled upon an issue. Whilst using this
Quote:
Here is a tutorial I found awhile back on makin collection only files http://nanashi.sims2.net/?tag=collection-only-set (scroll down as it's under that first post)
to sort my collections out and make the items invisible in the catalogue. I then opened my game and it keeps crashing before opening up the main menu or even giving me a notification that it's crashing. Can anyone help?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 6:09 AM
will anyone be able to help?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 1:53 PM
Did you delete cache files?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 8:19 PM
Did you delete cache files?

yes I did, I always do
Mad Poster
#20 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 8:49 PM
My guess is that something went wrong in the editing process, like if you tried it on compressed files.

My best tip is to keep a backup of files you're editing, so that if they don't work ingame or crash your game, you can start over again. When you've tested them and they work fine, the backup can be deleted (or moved somewher safe, so you can go back to using the regular files if needed). I usually always keep a few "backtrack" backups of files while doing edits I'm not 100% sure of will work, because cleaning up all those changes done incorrectly is very often a LOT more work than re-adding them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
My guess is that something went wrong in the editing process, like if you tried it on compressed files.

My best tip is to keep a backup of files you're editing, so that if they don't work ingame or crash your game, you can start over again. When you've tested them and they work fine, the backup can be deleted (or moved somewher safe, so you can go back to using the regular files if needed). I usually always keep a few "backtrack" backups of files while doing edits I'm not 100% sure of will work, because cleaning up all those changes done incorrectly is very often a LOT more work than re-adding them.

That's exactly what I did, I used a back up I had before I started the editing process. I can't tell what's a compressed file and what isn't but I think I'm just going to make all of my collections and just go to collections when I need to build