Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 6:25 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Black Screen(s) Upon Loading a Neighborhood
I've never encountered this problem before, but it appears a lot of other people have, but I can't seem to find a solution. Basically, all is fine with my game until I load up a neighborhood. Doesn't matter which, and as soon as it loads in, both screens go black (I have two monitors) and I can't use anything on my computer until I force close the game with task manager, and even this can be difficult. The first time I installed the game it was fine, but when I've loaded it up after that time, this issue seems to be unavoidable.

I've tried reinstalling my game. I've tried with and without custom content. I used the graphicsrulesmaker program that's supposed to fixed graphical issues with better graphics cards.

Nothing has worked.

The only thing I can't seem to do is change the compatibility which is odd, I simply don't get the option when I right click the shortcut and go to properties, so that's one thing I haven't tried that worked with some people apparently. What else could be causing this? I've had TS2 installed on this computer before, with the same graphics card, same mods, two monitors, no issues.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 8:11 PM
Does it still happen if you set your computer to single screen?
Inventor
#3 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 9:29 PM
It could be your screen resolution.
I got a black screen when using 1920 x 1080 in-game. I changed it to a lower one and that solved the issue for me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Does it still happen if you set your computer to single screen?

Sorry for the long wait, I've only just managed to test this. Yes, I tried disabling one monitor and I'm still having the same issue

Quote: Originally posted by mirjampenning
It could be your screen resolution.
I got a black screen when using 1920 x 1080 in-game. I changed it to a lower one and that solved the issue for me.

I've tried this also, I tried lower resolutions but none of that worked. That was before I even had the recurring issue, I can't even get the window to appear long enough anymore when i alt-tab to bring it up in order to change the resolution.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 11:31 PM
How long have you waited once it goes black?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
How long have you waited once it goes black?

It happens literally as soon as I load up the 'hood. I've waited a good couple of minutes, not sure of an exact time but it wasn't just a minute or two. I've left it for a while and the black screen remains.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 11:41 PM
How much cc do you have? If you have a lot, I would wait up to five minutes since your game might simply be loading and hanging.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Mar 2017 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
How much cc do you have? If you have a lot, I would wait up to five minutes since your game might simply be loading and hanging.

I do have a fair bit, but I don't think that's the issue as I have the same black screen issue when I remove all CC also. It's the fact that it blackens both of my screens so I can't access anything, it's not just my TS2 game/screen that goes black.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 12:23 AM
Have you tried using windowed mode?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Ah. This is an easy one to fix! Rigth click the Sims 2 shortcut, click "Troubleshoot compatibility' and click on the "Troubleshoot program" option. Then select "This program worked in earlier versions of Windows" and then click next. Select Windows 7 and click "Test the program". Wait for the game to get to the neighborhood select screen and exit. Then it'll ask you if it worked, and simply click yes and save the settings. That should fix it.

I somehow missed this response last night, I'll give this a go now!

Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Have you tried using windowed mode?

I primarily play in windowed mode, but I also tried it in non-windowed and neither seemed to make any difference.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Ah. This is an easy one to fix! Rigth click the Sims 2 shortcut, click "Troubleshoot compatibility' and click on the "Troubleshoot program" option. Then select "This program worked in earlier versions of Windows" and then click next. Select Windows 7 and click "Test the program". Wait for the game to get to the neighborhood select screen and exit. Then it'll ask you if it worked, and simply click yes and save the settings. That should fix it.

Oh my GOSH, it seems to work! Thank you so much! It set it to Windows XP first without even asking me, which didn't work. But Windows 7 worked when I had the choice.

I hope this helps anyone else who runs into this issue, too!
Inventor
#12 Old 19th Mar 2017 at 2:30 PM
About the compatibility. Make sure you've set all your expansions to that same one that works. Somehow I had different ones and that also caused a problem.
I have set it all to vista and haven't had a problem since. (With the compatibility)
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 8th May 2017 at 9:13 PM
I have the same issue with the black screen, but I found a workaround.
When you see the black screen wait about 10seconds and press windowslogo+D
That's the shortcut to go back to the desktop.
Then you'll see the bar with all your open programs again and you then press the game and you can continue.

Maybe this might help other people with this issue.
P.S. I play in windowed screen with a resolution of 1024x768.
I don't know if other screens/resolutions work.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)