Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 1:57 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions
Default Create-A-World won't start up?
So I had to reinstall my game maunally after another problem. This went well and I have everything fixed. I uninstalled and reinstalled CAW. Now it will start, but then just close out. My saved worlds and textures are in there. Do I HAVE to delete them because I was in the middle of a huge project
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:00 PM
Don't delete them - just move them out temporarily. Also make sure to delete the game's cache files too. Any CC can be removed as well (before deleting the cache files) as that can cause problems too.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:07 PM
Alright, thanks for replying so fast.

Ok, I deleted the cache files and took out my worlds, yet it still just closes out. Is it really related to my CC? I just fixed a problem with that.
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:18 PM
Well, it -can- be a problem with that. Worth a try anyway.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:33 PM
Ok. But if it's the CC I wouldn't remove it because I can't play my game without cc xD. I'll try removing it.

Alright, taking out the CC still doesn't work
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:33 PM
You don't have to remove the CC to play your game (if it does end up being the issue), just to play CAW.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:39 PM
Oh great. When I took out my mods and put it onto my desktop (I had another copy on my desktop) The folder got replaced with the old one, so now I'm missing half of my CC! URGGH
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:53 PM
If you said "yes" to the "do you want to replace it" then the files should still be in there. It only replaces individual files with the same name - anything from your new CC that you didn't already have in the old will have been added, not discarded.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:52 PM
Well whats weird is that it didn't ask me if I wanted to replace anything. None of my new CC is in there. Is there ANY way to get it back, because I won't play without my CC If I can't get it back I simply won't play I know it sounds stupid but I need variety in my game.
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:57 PM
Try doing a search on your computer for .package files - maybe they somehow ended up somewhere else.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 2:58 PM
Ok, I did a search and found one of my old files. It says it's located in Users\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramFiles\ElectronicArts\Mods\Packages ? Where is that?
retired moderator
#12 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 3:11 PM
You should be able to open the containing folder by right-clicking on the search result. Why it would've stuck it in there, I don't know. :\

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 3:09 PM
OK THANK GOODNESS, that's where all my stuff is! Thanks for that help, but I still can't get the stupid CAW to work O________O
It's mixed in with the regular EA hairs.... weird.
Aaaaaand of course it's not ALL my CC. I'll have to see what's missing and re-download it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 9:38 PM
Sorry to bump but I really need help here
In the Arena
retired moderator
#15 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 4:27 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 8th Mar 2010 at 4:56 AM. Reason: thought up more qns
Were the world(s) you created on the same game patch versions when you did the uninstall & reinstall of the games+CAW? Were there any EP/SP installed then?

When you uninstalled, you removed the CAW folders manually (in both Documents and Programs) or were they gone, ie removed by the uninstaller?

The caches you removed are the ones in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ or the ones in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\WorldbuilderCache\ ? Or both?

There are some tips on Edit-in-Game issues in CAW section of the Create forums. Not sure if you've seen it or tried the suggestions, might help?
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=387204
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 8:31 PM
Ok, thanks. I didn't remove anything or uninstall CAW. I just uninstalled my games. When I uninstalled I did it through the actual installer.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 8:47 PM
Do I have to manually uninstall?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#18 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Save_the_whales
Do I have to manually uninstall?
Uninstall what? CAW? I don't think that is necessary, unless you think the files are corrupt now?

In all my many, many rounds of uninstall/reinstall of the base game+EP/SP, I've been able to startup CAW again just fine without touching those folders at any time. Just that if I plan to go into Edit-in-Game during that session, I have to remember to move my CC out temporarily or I get lag.

If CAW does crash on startup, usually a removal of CAW's caches fix me back right up. But then I tend to discard and redo my worlds as I learn new techniques, so I don't have a big ongoing project that I've retained for longer than 2-4 weeks, yet.

Do you have any of the custom terrains or roads or height maps, etc? Have you tried starting CAW up without these? Just plain ole, factory-default vanilla CAW?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 8:17 PM
^ Yes, NOTHING custom at all, Vanilla. I haven't tried removing the caches yet, where are those?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#20 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 2:44 PM
in post#15
Quote:
...Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\WorldbuilderCache\ ...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Mar 2010 at 9:59 PM
Ok, nothing's in there O_____O Is there supposed to be?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 2:43 PM
Please could someone help me, I haven't been able to play in more than a month
In the Arena
retired moderator
#23 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 5:39 PM
Er...cannot play the game because CAW cannot load?

You don't have any caches in CAW's \WorldbuilderCache folder? If you had uninstalled CAW, it could be that the uninstaller removed all traces of CAW in your machine, but you said the worlds you were working on and the custom textures were still "in there"? So this indicated to me that some files were left intact in the Documents path for CAW, even after the uninstall of CAW. Anyway, post#1 and #16 kinda has contradictory info - was everything TS3-related including CAW and EADM, etc uninstalled and reinstalled? or just the games only? And by games - are you including the EP and SP and you're on the last patch version ie 1.10/2.5/3.1?

If CAW was never uninstalled, and you had created worlds before and not touched *caches related to CAW, the \WorldbuilderCache folder should ideally contain some files...

I thought this whole thread was to start up CAW (as per the thread title), not the game itself?
I'm sorry, I'm very confused, now...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 5:41 PM
Oops,I'm so sorry I'm being so confusing.I'll try to break it down

I have WA, I'm on the latest patch

I uninstalled CAW twice (and reinstalled)

I just checked the CAW WorldBuilderCache folders and there isn't anything in there

It's completely 100% vanilla, NOTHING and it still crashes at start up.

The game works fine, I'm sorry it has nothing to do with that just CAW.

I hope I didn't leave anything out
In the Arena
retired moderator
#25 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 6:41 PM
So, you've moved both the CC out of \Mods\ in Programs Files and the .dbc(s) out of \DCCache\ in Documents temporarily to Desktop when loading CAW?
And CAW folders themselves have no custom terrain, textures, height maps, etc in \UserToolData folder? Not even your previous world projects..

No more *caches in \WorldbuilderCache\ since CAW was uninstalled plus the ones in the Sims 3 folders? And it still crash?

I suppose you could try the renaming of the "The Sims 3 Create A World Tool" folder trick in Documents\Electronic Arts\ and let CAW generate a new set.
And then rename "The Sims 3", too if all the above still fails - this might need the game to be loaded first for it to be generated.
Have you tried disabling any background processes you don't need?

I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas, really. Hopefully someone else has more ideas for you to try....
Page 1 of 2