Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#7151 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 9:29 PM
We're all agreed that Ilvermorny is just "no" though, right?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#7152 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
We're all agreed that Ilvermorny is just "no" though, right?

Well.... even though I have read all of the original Harry Potter books and I have watched all of the Harry Potter Movies, I can not say that I even know what Ilvermorny is exactly other than it must be one of the schools for Magick, much less where it is located or what it looks like. I can't even tell you what Hogwarts looks like, unless I was to re-watch the movies or re-read the books. I do consider myself a fan even so, I am just not good at stuff like this, never have been.

I am the same when it comes to StarTrek fandom and Star Wars fandom, didn't watch the two movies that came after that thing called Phantom Menace though, I have watched the most recent though.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Mad Poster
#7153 Old 28th Nov 2018 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
Well.... even though I have read all of the original Harry Potter books and I have watched all of the Harry Potter Movies, I can not say that I even know what Ilvermorny is exactly other than it must be one of the schools for Magick, much less where it is located or what it looks like. I can't even tell you what Hogwarts looks like, unless I was to re-watch the movies or re-read the books. I do consider myself a fan even so, I am just not good at stuff like this, never have been.

I am the same when it comes to StarTrek fandom and Star Wars fandom, didn't watch the two movies that came after that thing called Phantom Menace though, I have watched the most recent though.

It's from Pottermore / the Fantastic Beasts franchise (AKA "Dear-God-Someone-Take-Away-JK's-Writing-Tools-She-Doesn't-Know-When-To-Quit(So basically just like the Star Wars prequels (and sequels (Let's see how many parentheses I can use in this post)) have become))
TL;DR, you've read/seen the good stuff, stop there.

(Why was I considering Ilvermorny in the first place? )

Mad Poster
#7154 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 1:36 AM
For the challenge.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#7155 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 1:41 AM
I'd put "Making Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" only slightly below the "Tide Pod Challenge" on a list of dumb challenges...

(seriously, Pottermore and Fantastic Beasts have me heading in the same direction with HP that I did with Pirates of the Caribbean, where I just enter a state of profound denial about further entries to the franchise)

Scholar
#7156 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 1:42 AM
Thank goodness for these by Michelle! Life saver for my current Ottomas family!
Mad Poster
#7157 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 1:44 AM
@Fyren5 - Just one caveat when using those bunk beds: When a Sim is getting out of a bunk bed, don't queue up any action directly afterwards. If you do, occasionally it'll throw an error and the bed will begin flashing blue.

If that happens anyways, you can fix it by going into buy mode and clicking on it with the design tool.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#7158 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
@Fyren5 - Just one caveat when using those bunk beds: When a Sim is getting out of a bunk bed, don't queue up any action directly afterwards. If you do, occasionally it'll throw an error and the bed will begin flashing blue.

If that happens anyways, you can fix it by going into buy mode and clicking on it with the design tool.

It literally just happened to me

I'll have to try to remember that
Mad Poster
#7159 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 1:55 AM
Well, now you know how to fix it.

Mad Poster
#7160 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 5:56 AM
It's okay, Zara, come to the light side, where there are only three Star Wars movies.

Other magic schools: I'm partial to Whitehall and Roanoke. (Christopher Nuttall's Schooled in Magic series and L. Jagi Lamplighter's Rachel Griffin series, respectively.) Whitehall would be an absolute disaster to make in Sims 2, if you think Hogwarts shifting stairs would be bad. Roanoke would be more a neighborhood than a lot, but, I think, doable. (Rachel Griffin is basically a love letter to every magic kids book out there. My kids love it for itself, but I also love it for "Oh, that's a tribute to Dianna Wynne Jones, that's to C.S. Lewis, that's to . . . etc.".)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Inventor
#7161 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 8:14 AM Last edited by Sketching : 29th Nov 2018 at 8:27 AM.
Off the top of my head, I remember that the HP universe also has Mahoutokoro (I'm sorry, but seriously, I don't understand why this name was chosen; it literally translates to "magical place," which sounds a bit off... Or maybe I'm just picky about wanting the name to be related to Onmyōdō instead.) and Uagadou Schools of Magic, but Pottermore also lists Castelobruxo and Koldovstoretz.

I'd go with Beauxbatons too. I like the design possibilities, as Orphalesion said. The Palace of Versailles sounds like a good source of inspiration.

That reminds me of the Hogwarts university subhood I made... It ended up a mishmash of the other wizarding schools because I couldn't settle on one aesthetic. So the Ravenclaw Dorm building was based on my imagination of what Beauxbatons looks like, Gryffindor on Durmstrang, Slytherin and Hufflepuff Dorms on the Playstation Hogwarts versions, and everything else... Oh, well, it's fine to have Greek theaters for their athletics and Roman thermae for the restrooms.

Edit: because I accidentally double-posted
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
- How long does it take to rebuild a DL folder?
- I miss playing my hood
- I'd like to start a new hood but I don't know what direction I want to take. The Medieval starter challenge is appealing but I don't want to play medieval.

I'm rebuilding another DL folder now... I'm fine with Build/Buy and mods, but the CAS is what usually kills me since I typically recategorize the items, have to remember which clothes are slaved to which, and all that jazz... It's faster if you already have the files organized in storage, but if not, the CC hunt sure can take a while.

Maybe you can try the challenge in a modern setting? I've done modifications of other period challenges using a modern DL folder because I didn't have time to scrounge up all the required CC.
Mad Poster
#7162 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
It's from Pottermore / the Fantastic Beasts franchise (AKA "Dear-God-Someone-Take-Away-JK's-Writing-Tools-She-Doesn't-Know-When-To-Quit(So basically just like the Star Wars prequels (and sequels (Let's see how many parentheses I can use in this post)) have become))
TL;DR, you've read/seen the good stuff, stop there.

(Why was I considering Ilvermorny in the first place? )

Is JKR even writing the stuff anymore? Even George Lucas has buggered of when it comes to Star Wars. XD
Mad Poster
#7163 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Is JKR even writing the stuff anymore? Even George Lucas has buggered of when it comes to Star Wars. XD

She is, more's the pity. At this point, JK as a screenwriter is a demonstrably bad idea... Books, yes. Movies, no.

Mad Poster
#7164 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 7:24 PM
I can tell it's the holiday season - so many WCIF posts looking for food! :D
Scholar
#7165 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 8:05 PM
This is interesting... I'd DL'd and was playing my sims in Psychosims' excellent Decorated Harbor Hood ... and -- there's at least two lots that aren't connected to a road !
I tried to move one of them to a different location... but it showed as a red base and no white "street attachment' lines. So I left them alone.

At this time-- I'm playing in a lot by the road that's the prison director's house; so haven't tried the "road-less" lots yet.
But they're selectable as residential lots.

And another thing..... The "Winner Street." lots have been built , to meet and connect with the prison lot walls --as in --- the walls expand to the very edge of the lot !
How amazing is that ?? :D

" Inama Nushif "
Top Secret Researcher
#7166 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:05 PM
I wonder why it is that the game's made so you can't build right up to the lot's edge anyway?

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Scholar
#7167 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
I wonder why it is that the game's made so you can't build right up to the lot's edge anyway?

I'd read (After much Googling) that using the lot expander (to build to the edge of the lot) can cause visible glitching or maybe graphics issues with lots that interconnect through building up to the edge of each.
This is if the lots are built to meet at the edge but overlap in each other's space after being placed ?
Sorry if the wording is confusing.

But thus far, the prison lots do not seem to overlap with the Winner St. lots , after placing and entering each one.
They look to be side by side in N-hood view.
Pretty nice.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#7168 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tleilaxu3
This is interesting... I'd DL'd and was playing my sims in Psychosims' excellent Decorated Harbor Hood ... and -- there's at least two lots that aren't connected to a road !

I'm not sure if this is what was done for that hood, but if you have two terrains that are identical aside from extra roads, it's easy to pull off using Mootilda's HoodReplace.

Set up the hood using the terrain with the extra roads, swap it out for the other, and ta-da! Unconnected lots.

Theorist
#7169 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

Well these days she is more blurting out random bits of additional info at regular intervalls, which she then claims to have been canon all along, she just "didn't find the opportunity to mention it* in the decades since the first book was released.

Sorta like this:

JK Rowling: Aberforth's goat...*throws dart at dartboard*...was really the reincarnation of Arianna Dumbledore. I always had it planned since the very first drafts for Philosopher's Stone, I just couldn't find an appropriate way to put it into the story!

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Scholar
#7170 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I'm not sure if this is what was done for that hood, but if you have two terrains that are identical aside from extra roads, it's easy to pull off using Mootilda's HoodReplace.

Set up the hood using the terrain with the extra roads, swap it out for the other, and ta-da! Unconnected lots.

Well thanks, Bulbizarre ..... I might try doing that ! My sims will be so confused in their little world ! Muahahahahaha !!!!! *Cackles fiendishly*

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#7171 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:48 PM
I once used HoodReplace to stick some lots in the middle of an ocean. Unfortunately, the lot didn't get flooded as it sometimes does when the terrain is too low.

Mad Poster
#7172 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Well these days she is more blurting out random bits of additional info at regular intervalls, which she then claims to have been canon all along, she just "didn't find the opportunity to mention it* in the decades since the first book was released.

Sorta like this:

JK Rowling: Aberforth's goat...*throws dart at dartboard*...was really the reincarnation of Arianna Dumbledore. I always had it planned since the very first drafts for Philosopher's Stone, I just couldn't find an appropriate way to put it into the story!

Seriously... one of the reviews I watched, the reviewer just cracked up at the notion that JK knew that Nagini had been a woman for "about 20 years" as just another example of that kind of bald-faced lie about 'having known all along but didn't fidn the opportunity to mention it.' I had to go find the review again to get the quote right: "I like to think that if you see that original napkin [on which JK wrote her first ideas for what would eventually become Harry Potter] the only things on it are 'Little boy wizard that lives in a cupboard' and 'The snake is a Korean lady.'"

You want to invent a story as you go along, that's fine (that's how I think most of us play our Sims, just to actually tie this post to TS2 somehow ), but don't pretend that there's been some twenty-year-long master plan when it's patently obvious that there WASN'T.

Mad Poster
#7173 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 10:37 PM
At the very least she could've dropped some hints in.

I never actually got to read Harry Potter until my 20s, a bit out of the target demographic. I couldn't really get into the books, although they were enjoyable in their own right.

Mad Poster
#7174 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 11:20 PM
Actually, you'd be amazed how much stuff you know about your settings, characters, etc., that just plain doesn't belong in the books. Those things are huge enough without scattering a bunch of hints about things that don't matter to the main story line. A lot more should've been cut, IMHO.

Rowling's biggest problem is that she hit it too big, too soon. She hadn't matured as a writer, she never got edited properly (not that the big houses are doing anything like as much proper editing as they used to) because she was bringing in so much cash out of the blue nobody wanted to kill the golden goose, and now nobody will let her be anyone but the Harry Potter Lady. She made a couple of attempts to advance herself in her craft, but the media wouldn't leave her alone to do it, and I can't imagine publishers were very encouraging either.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7175 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 11:31 PM
Oh no, I completely get that... world-building is probably my favorite aspect of most sci-fi/fantasy franchises, to the point where I'm willing to ignore pretty poor execution in other areas, as long as the world is compelling. (The Silmarillion is a good example of world-building that didn't really need to be in the books (and wasn't in the more popular ones), but was still important for the author- the difference between Rowling and Tolkien is that Tolkien pretty much kept unnecessary world-building OUT of his books, and the fact that he wasn't even the one to publish the Silmarillion suggests that he was well aware of this distinction)

Heck, my love for world-building is directly linked to why I have so much more fun creating locations in TS2 than I do actually playing them... imagining the history and story that went into a place to get it to where it is today and why it looks the way it does is SO much more compelling for me than looking at "where do things go from here?"

Page 287 of 511