Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 5:10 PM Last edited by PipthePuffin4 : 19th Nov 2018 at 5:48 PM.
Default The 'problem' with elders
I've been getting back into the Sims 2 and trying to play rotationally with two founders and seeing how far I can get. I had a lot of fun with them. Wyatt and Ursula are now happily permaplat, having fulfilled their lifetime wants of woohooing 20 sims and earning £100k respectively. They're both elders now, along with their spouses Hatty and Jaime.

I'm beginning to understand what people mean when they say elders are boring. I don't think it's because of the elder life-stage itself but rather because there's not a whole lot left for them to do once they've gone through their adult years.

With Wyatt, I've moved in his vampire son Ainsley and his vampire, Grilled Cheese wife Molly, who are both a lot of fun. But now Ainsley's parents are kinda just taking up space. They've got all the skills they need, they've both maxed their careers. What else is there to do with them? I've decided to get Wyatt on the robot bench and Hatty has her easel to keep them occupied. I suppose part of this might be because I don't want Ainsley and Molly to have a child of their own until Ainsley gets abducted. This is gonna take a while (thank you vampire age freeze) so they might not end up seeing grandkids in their lifetime.

I've set up Ursula's eldest in his own household with his wife, and her and Jaime live their other child Wilhelmina (a teen knowledge sim). I'm up to them in the rotation and struggling a lot more now. The house is covered in Ursula's paintings and she kept rolling a want to quit her job so I've let her retire. What elder 'diversions' are there left? Novel-writing? Their son has had a pair of twins, but they're both just babies at the moment, so wholesome grandparent stuff will have to wait until the next rotation. And then I have the joy of getting a knowledge sim on her own through four years of college.

Anyone have any thoughts on this. Clearly it isn't bathroom breaks that makes elder sims problematic. It's almost like the equivalent of a mid-life crisis IRL.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 5:42 PM
I have this problem often, too, and my elders end up becoming default housekeepers and babysitters, which really isn't for everyone. After talking on here, though, I'm realizing that elders are good candidates for sims to get involved in the community, be it as party hostess, teacher, doctor/counselor, religious leader, etc.

But as a backup to that, I have a mini list of mid-life crises they can roll for! It ranges from the simple, like changing hair color, buying new clothes, or a new car, to the more life altering like adopting a kid, or changing aspirations. And if that isn't enough I can do a roll to see if they go senile, which in this case would mean they can either only be given limited commands or no commands at all, kinda like a mini isbi.

It's also a good time for a sim to get involved in hobbies, though, old and new ones. Nature is a good one--and it always seemed to me that Nature was an older's person's hobby irl, idk why. Maybe because that's when you own your own home and have space to garden? Anyway, with that, there's loads of activities to keep elders occupied, from gardening and joining the garden club to hiking and birdwatching.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 5:44 PM
This is 100% down to playstyle. If you focus on story and character rather than achieving game goals like permaplat mood and skill points, there's little difference between playing elders and playing adults, except that elders generally have more time for shenanigans because they don't have kids underfoot and have enough money coming in to live on; and unlike real life elders don't start having incessant Health Crap.

I don't say that going after game goals is a bad thing, mind you. If you have fun like that until the elder stage, more power to you. But as you've already discovered, you can't just continue to play elders like that, so for that age group you either let them sink into the background, you reserve some goals for them to work on as elders, or you change up your play style for elders only.

If goal-orientation is the only way you enjoy playing, look around for things you haven't done, or that you at least haven't done with these sims. Elders with lots of skills, badges, and a permaplat mood are excellently suited for running businesses, getting all the vacation mementos, and exploring game features you've tended to neglect. Make up goals if you run out of ones set by the game. Your Family sims can open an orphanage, or a daycare center, or take all their grandchildren to a summer camp. Your Fortune sims can try out your most absurd business concepts. Your Pleasure and Romance sims can date recklessly and complicate the lives of those around them. Your Popularity sims can compete for the best parties and outings.

If, however, you're ready to experiment with other playstyles, elders are perfectly suited for that, too. Read Soap Opera Digest (is that still around in the days of Ti-Vo?) for inspiration - every soap opera worth its salt has elderly schemers ready to give the plot a kick in the pants once in awhile. Does your Business Tycoon throw his cap over the windmill for a young chorus girl and alienate his first family by starting a second? Does your Professional Party Guest have any old grudges to pursue, any old rivals to take down, any old flames to rekindle? Does your Captain Hero go rogue and declare war on your criminal playables? Does your Criminal Mastermind decide it's time to kill or discredit Captain Hero? Does your mousy little domestic goddess decide that, now she's graduated her three kids, it's time to pick their spouses for them? How does your Mayor change the face of your hood through policies and executive decisions? How does your Cult Leader manage her cult - does she found a church, establish a commune, proselytize on street corners?

Build a Retirement Community, throw a bunch of "boring" elders together, and watch the place become a hotbed of intrigue and scandal as romance blossoms and petty disputes escalate to full-blown enmities!

Elders are lots of fun, if you let them be. That's why there's so many elders in Widespot and they all have prominent roles in the starting set-up. This is also true in katatty's Europa neighborhood and Maxon's Polgannon. If you can bear to take a week or so off from your own hood, you might want to download one of those and explore how elders are used in one of those neighborhoods; or focusing on the premade elders in the Maxis hoods, to study what other people have done and experiment with different options.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#4 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 7:30 PM
from my understanding, there are few shipped version differences between Adult & Elder.
with various mods/hacks, the two ages could function the same.
Scholar
#5 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 7:43 PM
Best tutors ever. They can encourage grandkids, teach them lots of skills, while the parents get ahead with whatever they are working on.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 9:56 PM
I think the reason these sims are boring is not that they are elders but because you have finished your goals for them. Some people are story focused, some are goal focused and some of us are a bit of both, but I don't think that alone is the point. I don't think one style is better than another. If you enjoy goals, you enjoy goals, the issue is not having enough goals and that play is too easy.

If your only goals for your sims is topping their job, their LTW and gaining all skils- that there is why. That is a very narrow definition of goals and if that is the focus for all sims that is going to get boring fast. If these sims had all those goals done but were still adults would they still be boring? I think yes. Those goals are very much how Maxis intended us to play. If you are a goal player you need far more goals, and not just those obvious Maxis ones.

First I would say start playing your younger sims differently. Try to not make topping a job, all skills and that set LTW such a priority.
let them have some free range time. What do they do when you haven't set them to skill?
"But they won't get that promotion if they don't get 2 more cleaning points tonight!" Yep, they won't and you know what, it's fine because they have other goals as well. Is every person you know in real life solely focused on gaining promotions and climbing the ladder of the rat race?

Try adding rules to skilling. In my game which is both goal and story focused, I have skilling rules called motivation levels. Some sims are skill/job/overachievers. Those sims do skill a lot or focus on whatever it is they need to,to succeed. In a way it's my own version of the Power aspiration that maxis scrapped. Other sims only sim if they have a want to skill and still others barely skill at all. I have quite a few odd rules for the third group, but they spend a lot of time free roaming. What I do is open the personality panel and add up the neatness and activity of a sim then minus the playful points. A sim who is 8+ is an overachieving, 1-7 is average and 0 and below is low motivation.

More varied goals. I write my own LTW and tend to forget to even open the Maxis panel. Give them a new LTG, even better if you remove that perma platinum.
Gain all vacation wants
Have a top-level business
Sell a masterpiece/top selling novel
Become a pool hustler or card sharp
Grow a garden full of very healthy produce
Any badge, any workbench.
Open a business if they haven't before. Maybe it's an excuse to see the neighbours.

So the sim on the easel, do you have cc canvases? Lots of extra paintings added to your folder? How about a goal to paint all family members and for her to give them as gifts?
Wyatt on the robot bench, does he have a goal? If the goal is gold badge, fair enough but what else? Is he going a bit senile and thinks the bench is asking him to make 100 servos to take over the town? This is where combining some story helps with goals.

The mod fragile permaplat to take away platinum aspiration immediately will make those sims more interesting. because I use a double ageing mod I think 98% of my sims lose their permaplat at some point. Just as well too since they tend to gain Free Time permaplat while still young adults. Elder job equality, elder sleep through and less elder bladder are all mods you can use to make your elders less ugh. If need be randomized their skills.

Mod/CC. have you seen all of Sun&moon's benches? Get them planting growing tree's or making reed furniture.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 9:59 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from, PipthePuffin. I used to have this problem until I forced myself to start thinking of elders as just slightly older adults. They can still do all (or at least most) of the same things--age shouldn't be a barrier!

For one--and I think that this choice was the most important step for me in terms of compelling myself to think of Elders as just slightly older Adults--I almost never let my Elder Sims retire. They never really roll the want to do so, but I find that retiring means they're home all day, and that has more of a potential to become boring for me personally. So I let them keep their full-time jobs. So there--they're still gone for the majority of the day most days. Plus, considering that you're a goal-focused player, you could have them try out careers that they maybe wanted to try before but just never had the time to try. I believe there's mods out there that allow Elders to have full-time careers instead of those part-time ones. Maybe pursue their career-related Lifetime Want (if you haven't already), or even if it's not career-related, see how things go.

So what do I do with my Elder Sims when they get home from the same job they had as Adults? Well, it depends!

I had one elder Sim, Gabriel Romero, who married and had a kid later than all of his other friends. So while his friends were Elders and their kids were all full-grown Adults, Gabriel's daughter, Makayla, was a Child and then a Teen. Although Gabriel was a Fortune/Popularity Sim, I'd say that he spent most of his time buying Makayla gifts and spending time with her, hahaha. They were very close. He taught her how to play piano, too.

Another Elder Sim, whose first name was Dustin and whose surname I'm forgetting, was a Fortune/Family Sim who was a workaholic when he was an Adult. Close to every want that he rolled was related to work, so I was surprised when he aged up to Elder and rolled a want to retire. I let him because I was incredibly curious to see what he would do with all of his new free time. He ended up teaching himself how to paint, and it became his new primary source of income. His wife learned to paint alongside him, so that was pretty cute. They opened up a business together to sell their paintings, which gave them something to do. So if you fulfill wants that Elders roll related to hobbies or skills and think about how you can expand them--opening a business, painting portraits of all their family members, writing a book series, etc--then you might be able to identify more tangible goals for you as a player to work toward and achieve.

I've also had more than my fair share of Romance secondaries who make the most of their secondary Romance Aspiration once they age up to Elder. I've had Knowledge/Romance Sims who maxed out their skills as Adults and when they aged up to Elder decided that it was time to try to get with their new next-door neighbors: Adults who were fresh out of college, haha. I've also had Popularity/Romance Sims who throw just as many parties as they did when they were Adults, except this time they're couples-focused--Family/Romance Sims in particular love to invite more than just family to their grandchildren's birthday parties so they can set up their Teen grandson with the nice girl from down the street or their unmarried daughter with their coworker or whatever. It's fun.

Oh! And moving them in with family members is also good, or with other Elders. I almost never have Elders live alone because a) if they die, then I can't move the grave out until another family moves in and b) they're more fun with other Sims or other Elders, especially other Elders, who already have established characters and backstories and whatnot. Just leave them on Free Will and see what happens--from there, you can make decisions on what to do with them based on how they interact with other Sims in the household. For example, I once moved a Family/Romance Elder in with her son, but she never seemed to want to take care of her grandchildren. Her relationship with her son, who was also a Family Sim, deteriorated, and she started an affair with her husband's wife. Unexpected but welcome bisexuality for the both of them!

So yeah, the possibilities are endless with Elders--if you just continue to treat them as Adults, then there are still plenty of things to do with them.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 10:26 PM
There's a lot of good points explained above-mostly that elders aren't boring as they are perceived to be, if you allow them to enjoy their golden years. I find that it's the ideal time (if they retire. Most don't want to) to go back to college, start up businesses, and become the 'elders' of the town in knowledge-dispensing their wisdom to everyone.

Let them have vacations, travel, or just go gambling all the time. They've done their bit for society, now it's time for them to enjoy their downtime. I've got a whole bunch of pixels in Tinsel Town who are going to be elders and they're not going to let the number define their lives.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#9 Old 19th Nov 2018 at 11:54 PM
Wait... i thought ALL the elder problems were solved by the Elder Theme over 200 people voted for back in the Fall... (you know, "back to school" season?) I'm shocked to hear this!! hahaha...

What i've done with some of my elders... and I don't play a lot of them, cuz I DO find them boring... But i like to give them some kind of interest. Mary-Sue Pleasant bought a poker table, and invites the other senior ladies over for some Texas Hold 'Em (cuz the game doesn't have a functional Bridge or Gin table...)

You've done the painting thing, but you could also do sculpting, sewing, and some of the other crafts. One of my soon-to-be elders is going to retire and start learning how to arrange flowers. Maybe open a shop someday. Another elder loves to bowl and joined a bowling league, which is just an outing with other ol' ladies. Maybe build your old ladies a Myshuno parlor, attached to the Church. Maybe join a lunch bunch or try to get into the Gardening Club. Now that they're retired, maybe they want to finish that bug collection they never had the time for, when they were working and raising a family? Maybe they can FINALLY attempt to see ALL the sights (and achieve ALL the goals) on the Bon Voyage vacation memories thing? ...I've never actually accomplished it. Best I got was 43/44, cuz I can't dig up a treasure chest with that sim!! I have enough bones to build a dinosaur and enough rocks for a quarry! But no treasure chest!! blah!! =) Maybe they'd like to go to the Library and start a book club? ...i dont think there's any group book-reading available, but perhaps someone could create one, out of the "research" code from Univ? Maybe your elder might want to try writing a novel? Maybe grandpappy wants to restore a car with his grandson, and will the old wreck to the kid when he gets his driver's license?

It's things like that, that help me with the elders. You just gotta try to find something else for them to do with their time. Maybe, if you wanted to change your play style, you could wait til they retire to get them a secondary aspiration? This might open up entirely new avenues to entertain and occupy them til they take the Ol' Dirt Nap... =)

Worth a try, right? What've you got to lose? =)

-gE
>=)
Theorist
#10 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 12:10 AM
With me the problem is that my interest in Sims 2 is family-focused. So if Elders are living with their children and help raising their grandkids, then they work, then they are awesome. If they are living alone, there's literally nothing in the universe that would make them interesting to me. But it's the same with households consisting of a single adult sim, they won't be interesting to me until at least some sort of family starts to form.
When I'm very invested in the characters it can help keep them interesting, but when I'm not then they usually fade into the background.

So as long as Elders are part of a family I do a lot of things with them, so it could be said that in my universe living with younger people keeps elders fit and healthy And in my neighbourhoods many young couples live with their parents. It works out pretty well.

Not sure whether vacations is a good way to make boring elders interesting... I tried and stopped that again a while ago, since Sims don't age during vacations all it does is add more gameplay time with them. And while it can be fun exploring the various vacation spots with them, as soon as they were back home I was pretty much were i started with them, literally even since, again, they didn't age a day while on vacation...

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Instructor
#11 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 12:29 AM
I'm sorry, but Elders will always be boring to me no matter what I do with them. The only things they're good for is babysitting, providing spending money for their families, and giving me a good laugh when they pee themselves.

However, in my Beginning Pleasantview my founders are now old. Instead of ignoring them (or killing them), I made a senior center. This way they are out their homes and mingling with other Elders.

I'm sure there are many things to do with Elders, they just don't hold my interest enough for me to do them.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 12:57 AM
Well, for all those who say elders are boring-do you have an elderly grandmother or parent? Are they boring? Then imagine having them in the game instead of some pixelated cartoon. They keep busy, they do things. So should the pixels.
I do believe one would get a severe bash about the head if one were to tell them "You're boring, Granny!"

And by the way, don't look now but someday you'll be an elder too...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Theorist
#13 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Well, for all those who say elders are boring-do you have an elderly grandmother or parent? Are they boring? Then imagine having them in the game instead of some pixelated cartoon. They keep busy, they do things. So should the pixels.
I do believe one would get a severe bash about the head if one were to tell them "You're boring, Granny!"

Okay, just want to point out that this is not about whether real life elderly/older people can be interesting/active/fun/etc or not (I don't think anybody really disputes that, and if they do then yeah, they need some serious reality-check).
It's solely about an aspect of a game starring virtual dolls that by their very nature could simply never be as complex or interesting as real life people (because if they were they'd be sentient A.I. and it'd be morally wrong to play with them at all).

Another reason why I'm pointing towards this difference between real life/people and Sims is that many people might expect vastly different things depending on whether they interact with real life situations or play a video game. Many people play video games primarily for fun/pleasure, so they will prefer to interact with the parts of the game that give them the highest amount of fun/pleasure and avoid the parts that don't measure up. Those aspects tend to be different ones for most people, especially in games like Sims. I like families in Sims 2, where something is constantly changing, so for me to keep Elders interesting, the solution is to keep them with their kids + grandkids.

So just like most people who primarily build houses in Sims and hardly touch the Life Mode don't automatically say that they find real life people boring, or I don't say that I automatically find real life people who live in single households boring, I don't think everybody who doesn't enjoy playing elders automatically says that real life people over a certain age have to be boring.
Like, one friend I have who is in his late 50s (which still isn't elderly, but w/e) can, for example, tell me about seeing Jimi Hebdrix live when he was young and general about what life was like decades before I was even born. An elderly Sim can't do that, so, of course they tend to be less interesting than real life people of advanced age.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#14 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
With me the problem is that my interest in Sims 2 is family-focused. So if Elders are living with their children and help raising their grandkids, then they work, then they are awesome. If they are living alone, there's literally nothing in the universe that would make them interesting to me. But it's the same with households consisting of a single adult sim, they won't be interesting to me until at least some sort of family starts to form.

This!! I'm realizing this about my playstyle, too. I'm very much centered on the raising a family and getting married and romance drama part of the gameplay. I'm happiest when there's a bustling household with 3-4 kids with needs for me to manage. That's why I personally come up with rules and dice rolls and use that for ideas, so I have some direction when I'm stuck. Things like senior centers and bowling leagues don't come naturally to me, which is why I jot them down to remember for later. Another problem for me is that I tend to be a home-body (irl, and with my sims, ) and don't really like to visit community lots. A bit of this is out of habit from the days when I couldn't use community lots too often, but it's also a part of what you described, Orphalesion, in feeling like I'm just adding more gameplay time for sims I don't really care to play. But this is an easy fix, actually--plenty of mods can subtract days from a sim's life, so vacations don't have to feel like else-world limbo.

And I'm learning every day that sims are social creatures. It really can help with gameplay to get those sims out of the house and interacting with others. It's when your sims are background characters while playing someone else that you see parts of their personality come out that you didn't notice before. Like lately my Kaylynn Langerak seems desperately trying to fit herself into Pleasantview society. She didn't make herself too popular by having affairs, and then children with, Daniel Pleasant and Checo Ramirez. But when her girls are invited to parties and play dates, in order to get to know their half siblings and cousins, who shows up, right before the end of the party to bring her daughter(s) home? Kaylynn. And does she hang around after her daughters have gone home with all the other party guests? Absolutely every time. And speaking of elders, Coral Oldie loves to just walk by her daughter's or granddaughter's place, hoping to be invited in. One time I was playing the Pleasant lot, focusing on something, only to check back in the living room to see Coral invited herself in and had started playing pool with Lilith. How did she know Lilith (and I) was feeling directionless and unsure about Lilith's future? I imagined that she wanted to talk Lilith and be there for her, since Lilith hadn't really gotten to talk to anyone since Angela stole her boyfriend again (this time it was Frances J., right before he and Lilith would've gotten engaged and graduated). And yet does she visit Angela and the aforementioned stolen husband when I play the Worthingtons? You bet. I guess she wants to check up on Angela's pregnancy and her twin great-grandchildren that caused all that ruckus years ago, when Angela thought she might drop out of school and marry Dirk Dreamer. So it seems to me that Coral really is a true family sim and loves to check up on her loved ones, and when I play her next, I might keep that in mind and have them visit.

So, yeah, sometimes it really does help to give your sims some free will and see how they act around others, and look at what wants they roll and when--then you guide your play by filling in the why. Mortimer Goth might be another good example. I had been playing him as a man of science, someone devoted to knowledge and research. I had given him some extra time and he had long since maxed all his skills, started a few business to replenish the Goth coffers, and he even became a witch, extending his life further. And when Dina had an "accident" from his experiments and died, he sort of reconfirmed my view of him, as he didn't seem too torn up about it. And when Dina became a zombie afterwards, he was mildly interested, but didn't mind too much when she had to be killed again, for the safety of the family. His marriage to Dina really did seem to be just about the triplets, like I had originally thought.

Then after some time spent away from the household, I came back to the Goths in my rotation and upon opening the house, his want panel was mostly blank. No attempts at rerolling fixed it. He didn't know what he wanted and I had fulfilled my checklist for him long ago, so I left him alone for a few days and focused on Cassandra and the kids. And what did he do one day out of the blue? Roll a want to ask Ivy Copur on a date. And on the date, he rolled a want to get married, of all things. It appears the 'cold man of science' is a real softie at heart and just can't handle being out of a relationship. No wants for badges, hobbies, or even magic; he rolls wants to find love. So of course I married them and moved her in, and now, though he's getting interested in magic again, most of his wants concern his new wife and spending time with her. Maybe he's finally found true love at last with another knowledge sim, maybe he just doesn't like being alone, or maybe after Bella's disappearance, and now, after Cassandra's moved out and insists she's never met him or her own kids, he's realizing that spending time with loved ones is what's most important. I haven't decided yet. But I would've never thought of this side of him if I hadn't left him alone for a bit and let him figure out what he wanted!

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Alchemist
#15 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 2:50 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 20th Nov 2018 at 3:28 AM.
I'm totally story oriented and I practically never age anyone so elders are around forever and they get into all sorts of new things, sometimes they max more than one career or start a new business or marry the butler or take up witchcraft. A foursome of them went off together to live off the land in a poly community - there's a lot of hammock and tent woohooing there. I also modded out the job ageism, so mine do everything the adults do except have babies - I've never modded that away, but it's just because I have enough babies.
Link Ninja
#16 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 3:15 AM
Yo, here are some of what my elders get up to:
-Takes care of birds at a home business bird sanctuary
-Rules the social elite with an iron fist and a ballroom business while trying to marry their children off to their BFFs' kids
-Trying their hand at gathering all the vacation mementos, blowing retirement money on vacations
-Hosting family reunions at their place, or at the park where they can grill up eats for the kids
-Having a standing 'poker night' or 'bowling night' with old buddies every Tuesday
-Firing the gardener and spending all that unused influence to get their kids and grand kids to do the yard work; respect your elders!
-Turning any of the empty nest rooms into a nice mediation/yoga studio - a potted plant, small water fountain, and a full length mirror do just fine for the ambiance!
-In fact, most my elders go on a remodeling spree once they have an empty nest, a good time to brush up on your interior decorating interests
-Start a garden and give their yields to a farming collective, or just use that and never go grocery shopping again!
-Sad that they lost their spouse but opens up a possible time for dating again
-Pick up an artistic hobby, if they get real good they can start a business or support a business with their talent - or take time to revisit an old hobby they were good at but didn't explore for a professional job
-Write novels about their life

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 5:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH

=========
I am boring. I am an elder. Now get off my lawn! And stop stealing my newspaper!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 7:20 AM
Not sure whether vacations is a good way to make boring elders interesting... I tried and stopped that again a while ago, since Sims don't age during vacations all it does is add more gameplay time with them. And while it can be fun exploring the various vacation spots with them, as soon as they were back home I was pretty much were i started with them, literally even since, again, they didn't age a day while on vacation...

Make a shopping/downtown sub-hood into a holiday/vacation hood. They won't get a tour guide or special lots is all. You do need community Lot time though for time to pass.

Someone mentioned one alone, that I would never do and I don't like any sim who lives alone. Elders who live alone need to move into my retirement village.

Quote: Originally posted by grinevilly
Wait... i thought ALL the elder problems were solved by the Elder Theme over 200 people voted for back in the Fall... (you know, "back to school" season?) I'm shocked to hear this!! hahaha...

That was to show elders some love because they are overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
With me the problem is that my interest in Sims 2 is family-focused.
I am also a family player and am happiest when I have babies/toddlers or kids in the household. This is why I make sure elders or even older adults who are empty nesters have plenty to do. even so my older adults with grown kids are not as interesting to me. Really it has nothing to do with the sims age, it's the empty nest.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#19 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 8:43 AM
I think it has to do with the combine life span of two final life stages, not of the life stage itself. Gameplay wise, there are basically adults.... but with faster motive drop and pension/part-time jobs only.

I can't advise you what you could do with them, without knowing all the details of your hood, mod setup and your playstyle. I can however give you my current game info.

Second-Third generation in, and I only have one elder. I'm having her to reach the top career (she's very close) before I have her retire. Then, I'll have her relax from cleaning chores by retiring. She's a Dancer, so maybe I'll run a business automated ballet gym. Maybe a hair saloon? Idk for sure until I load the game which is the time ideas starts popping within a few minutes of play. She could perhaps enroll her kids in private school (funny enough, they are yet teens), because - why the heck not? Probably I like redundant challenges. Help with homework and raise them up in meaninful ways (encourage personality traits, tutor in skills which she is professional in many). I think I would devote her the time to just plain rest. Actually, her aspiration is red so that's gives me time to make her stand on feet. Kind of unfortunate I can't help you with the situation at the moment as I myself can't think exactly what you can do with overachiever grannys/pas. Though Peni is right - looking from a storyline perspective rather achieving the goals the game in mechanics as store for you, you might find yourself finding an idea what purpose do those ol' timers have that the household/world needs them. You know, they're still living for a reason (from a philosophical reason). Maybe finding an example how elders in real life can/are benefitially contributing to the society, economy, morally, whatever... would help you come up how to engage them to storytelling or gameplay or both.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
And stop stealing my newspaper!
The Sims in my game I most clearly remember stealing newspapers are Consort Capp and Olive Specter, both of them Elders! In fact, when Consort stole the Corntons' paper from outside their downtown home, the crime was witnessed by a whole crowd of law-abiding teenage boys, some of whom were worried about this apparent outbreak of senile delinquency. I have to say I haven't seen a paper stolen for quite a while now -- so it looks like I've been quietly training my Sims to behave more responsibly.

I wonder if those of us who are elders ourselves, or are approaching that life-stage, are more likely to play elders sympathetically. Myself, as a 67-year-old, going on 15, I have to admit that I usually find teens the most fun to play. Possibly because they have their lives in front of them and aren't yet burdened by adult responsibilities. But I do start from the premise that all Sims in my game have a right to a reasonable quality of life, and, if I find a Sim boring, the problem is more likely to lie with me than with them. I really just have to try to understand them better. I've just been playing Capp Manor, where Consort Capp, in the midst of a torrid infatuation, is stealing the show from his teenage grandchildren.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Gameplay wise, there are basically adults.... but with faster motive drop and pension/part-time jobs only.

Not with job equality, sleep through the night and bladder fix mods. I also have a walk mod so no shuffling either.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 9:26 AM
In my game the only thing that elders don't do is get pregnant, and that's by choice. Chris Hatch's pregnancy controller does allow for elder pregnancies, but the idea of it bothers me (my mother was almost 40 when she had me, and there were a lot of problems). So people saying that elders are boring baffles me.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 10:56 AM
Like, one friend I have who is in his late 50s (which still isn't elderly, but w/e) can, for example, tell me about seeing Jimi Hebdrix live when he was young and general about what life was like decades before I was even born. An elderly Sim can't do that, so, of course they tend to be less interesting than real life people of advanced age.

We need a hack that lets elder sims talk to their grandchildren about the good old days.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Not with job equality, sleep through the night and bladder fix mods. I also have a walk mod so no shuffling either.

So how are your elders any different from playing adults?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 11:32 AM
They are not a lot, only they don't get pregnant. I would love the mods to be turn on and off by sim because older elders I would like to have the game limitations.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#25 Old 20th Nov 2018 at 11:54 AM
I find the Community Time project really helps me with my elders. I have community lots that are set up as community centres where they can go and play don't wake the llama or have a coffee with friends. Then, when they come back, that time elapses and I don't have to play it a second time.
Page 1 of 2