Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 4:34 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Island Paradise
Default Is there another way to uninstall CC sims3packs other than the launcher's uninstall?
Hi All!

I managed to download and install a few CC sims3packs that my game does not agree with I cannot uninstall the sims3packs the usual launcher way because an error pops up saying Sims3Launcher has stopped working. It only pops up when I click on the installed content tap then objects tab in the launcher (I have no idea why it does this). This stops me or gives me a very hard time when trying to uninstall any custom content. I've tried going in through program files and clicking the sims3 launcher there...but it does the same thing.

I'm not sure what to do next. I can't play my game until those items are uninstalled because the game will not launch.

Any advise, please??
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 1:47 PM
Do a clean run - rename your "[...]/MyDocuments/Electronic Arts/Sims 3" (standard Windows installation) for something else ("Sims3_back" for example) and run the game. Folders will be recreated as after fresh installation.

At some point (amount of CC loaded mostly) the Launcher fails and even making it big memory friendly does not help. Well, with some exceptions (particular Store Items and Packs) it's not really needed, you can install most CC just as packages by Sims3Pack Multi Installer (or CCMagic).

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 14th Oct 2016 at 7:45 PM
The Launcher is an absolute nightmare. What I am about to suggest sounds crazy but I have been able to successfully uninstall doing this:
I use the mouse to drag that damn Sims 3 Stopped Working window to the side and continue on anyway. Again, know it sounds crazy but it has worked for me and might be worth a try.

I've done the same thing to install when the Stopped Working appears but have found it easier to install when the game is loaded. Down side of that is the temp files eating RAM so if you are short on memory you might want to exit, delete the .temp files and reload.
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 1:22 AM
Just a thought - but couldn't you just delete the contents of the DCBackup and DCCache (except don't delete the ccmerged.package in DCBackup). That should clear out anything installed by the launcher. You'll need to install what you need again through Launcher.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dr_Non-sequitur
Just a thought - but couldn't you just delete the contents of the DCBackup and DCCache (except don't delete the ccmerged.package in DCBackup). That should clear out anything installed by the launcher. You'll need to install what you need again through Launcher.

Just a little clarification. Deleting the contents of DCBackup will not uninstall the item(s). The files are required if you export a Sim / Household / House from your game, the game only packs the stuff used that is actually in this folder. Meaning if you used a window in your house but deleted the corresponding Package file in this folder, the window will not get packed with the house.
For those who do not wish to export the DCBackup files are generally deleted EXCEPT for the ccmerge.package file. Since the introduction of premium content to the store, this folder contains a file called ccmerge.package. This file contains information about the buffs and skills given by the premium content. Don't delete this file or it will cause the premium content to not work correctly.

DCCache - Each file contains all installed Custom Content/Exchange/Store items that you installed through the Launcher. Deleting those files will also delete any other 3Pack content installed via the Launcher. Just deleting those files will cause you to lose ALL custom content from the Store or other sites you have downloaded from. The .dbc files are content from other sites and the .ebc files are items downloaded from the store and the exchange.

For more help, work-arounds for Launcher problems and tips on how to manage see: How To Find Downloads by Crinrict.

Another way to manage this is using Mel's Method On This Page. Scroll down a bit on the page to view. It's a bit tedious but for those having a ton of CC and prefer not to use the other tools available this method is a good alternative.