Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 5:07 AM
Default can I change the drive my game stores saved files on?
I have a windows 10 PC and my Sims game is mostly content downloaded from Origin. A lot of the game stuff appears to be stored on OneDrive and some times I get messages saying I'm running out of space. I would like to move all my saved files off OneDrive and on to my hard drive. but I don't want to loose my downloads, installed content, saved files, sim families and other data.

can someone walk me threw how to change it and have the game still work? My last attempt to mess with things lead to me loosing my saved towns data and I had to start over. It's actually easy to start over thanks to buydebug cheat but I don't want to have to keep starting over. As is I have an Issue with my computer not being able to find my EPs and things bought from Origin if I'm not logged in to OneDrive. I would like to get as much data as I can one a single offline drive or split between OneDrive and an offline drive.

any tips?

Also can anyone confirm that OneDrive is changing there storage limit to only 5GB for free accounts?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 11:49 PM
When I set up my game on Windows 10, I just moved the whole OneDrive\EA\Sims 3 folder (or whatever your structure is) over to Documents on my local drive (this is what I assume you mean by "offline drive," rather than an external drive). It was originally on another computer entirely.

If you're worried, just back up the folder somewhere first. There is no reason to lose your saves doing this

You may also want to check these instructions to keep Windows from storing things to OneDrive automatically, if that's what you're wanting: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993...o-onedrive.html

I have no idea about OneDrive storage space changing, as I don't use it at all. I have an external SSD for backup.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Aug 2016 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndreaJEP
When I set up my game on Windows 10, I just moved the whole OneDrive\EA\Sims 3 folder (or whatever your structure is) over to Documents on my local drive (this is what I assume you mean by "offline drive," rather than an external drive). It was originally on another computer entirely.

If you're worried, just back up the folder somewhere first. There is no reason to lose your saves doing this

You may also want to check these instructions to keep Windows from storing things to OneDrive automatically, if that's what you're wanting: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993...o-onedrive.html

I have no idea about OneDrive storage space changing, as I don't use it at all. I have an external SSD for backup.

I have conformed, no scam, OneDrive IS changing there storage limits from 15GB to 5GB witch is messing with my 6GB of save data and CC. I took off unused CC, objects not compatible with current EPs etc and I'm down to 4.80GB but that's still too close to 5GB to relax.

I been worried that if I move the EA game folder from OneDrive to C Drive that the Origin thingy will think my game got uninstalled and won't know that it just changed drives and if I put the folder back, that it'll be all confused. I messed the game up before and restoring from my back up file didn't help. theres one unknown file type that's vital to back up and I either didn't or couldn't back it up and know one on here knows what files are NEEDED to restore what I deleted and didn't restore properly.

but from what I'm reading I may, if things work right, if I'm forced, try cutting the entire folder and pasting it to the new drive with more room, I'm not technologicaly known in names of things but I think if I can manage my storage until I'm done with my current story I can risk every thing to move the folder. Right now I'm just trying to keep my GB under 5.

This means watching how many videos I record, getting rid of CC except for what my story needs and my favorite cheets and not making new saves until I'm ready to take chances.

I just hate how the computer default installs all my EPs to OneDrive rather then C drive or D Drive.

and I hate how there's The Cloud, Google Drive and One Drive and I have no clue if they are all the same thing with three different names or if there three different things.
Its dumb that people wouldn't want a hard coppy of there data any how. They have to store it all on some imaginary non physical realm of air and particles in a place that doesn't physicaly exist rather then on a disk or tower they can reach out and touch. Back in my day we had CDs and cartidges and flopy disks and even if they got dusty or scratched we LOVED it. now every thing is downloads. a big old exspensive pile of nothing in side nothing kept on nothing. I want to feel my disc with my hands. the pro of not being able to break the disc and not having to replace it doesn't out way the fear of having my $25 of nothing from noplace stored on nothing being deleted by some CEO, a spilled coke or a bolt of lightning and then I'm out over $100 when they think I don't exist because my account got deleted and theres no record of my existence.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 12th Aug 2016 at 1:55 AM Last edited by AndreaJEP : 12th Aug 2016 at 1:56 AM. Reason: typo
Um, hang on. Are you talking about just moving your EA documents folder (the one with your saves, cc, and such), or are you wanting your main game and EPs installed somewhere else? There's no way your game is installed on OneDrive -- not to my knowledge, at least -- that's why I thought you just wanted your EA documents folder moved.

Can you confirm what it is you're trying to do so that you can get proper help?

(Incidentally, cloud storage does exist physically on the company's servers, just not anywhere that you personally can gain physical access to, since it is somewhere on the company's property. It isn't "in the air" "Cloud" is a generic term, whereas Google Drive is cloud storage owned by Google, and OneDrive is cloud storage owned by Microsoft. Origin/EA will let you store your installation files locally so that you won't have to re-download them if something happens. There's a setting in the Origin client somewhere.)