Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 10:39 PM
Default Advice for running a Flower Store?
This is the first actual time i've experimented with a home buisness b4 i setup one but immediately gave up because i dunno i don't think it's the best thing or the best expansion pack but i got tired of getting my sims to the top of their careers i wanted something different. I created 2 sims who're sisters Isabella and Susie Swan (i know so unoriginal names lol but it's cute), so they have a house with an area for a store infact maybe bit too big of an area and it's doing well in rank it's at rank 6 and all i've used so far is 4 cheap coffee tables the Simple Structure End Table that's 53 simoleons each and they got an award for number 1 buisness so that's gd, it's been easy just selling 4 at a time as it's easy to keep up with restocking but it seems i can't make and sell anything but the cheapest 2 bouquets without running into problems and i already have the pricing set to Expesive, i've been selling 10 at a time so far because it takes a couple sim hrs just to sell those but i know i need to make more money, i just tried to make and sell some Tulip Bouquets but i'm still only earning a couple hundred simoleons i made 219 simoleons which is terrible lol, id love some advice on how to earn more money. Susie has a job reaching the top of her dream career as a General in the Military and it helps to keep them afloat while they earn money from the store but i'm struggling.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 10:48 PM
At rank 6 you should be able to sell some items at expensive. Is one sister doing sale interactions with the customers? If you hire sims that will take some of your profits away so you want to avoid that if you are not making much profit. Is the seller friendly with the sims buying? Friends with money will buy more items at expensive.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 10:53 PM
I always sell other plants as well as the crafted flowers. That way you can hire someone to restock or operate the till and turn over more money.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 11:26 PM
Or use the auto till and use nobody...

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 11:33 PM
I tend to tag team the customers with both Isabella and Susie with sales lol then quickly get Isabella on the cash register she has a Gold badge from practise at the previous house and in Sales too Susie also has Gold in sales so i tend to use Dazzel for instant sales, although i think if i'm gonna add more items then i'm gonna have to use Susie to stock up while Isabella does Sales and Cashier but i think at points i could still tag team lol. Hiring someone is the worst thing to do it's just broke because your energy levels go down so fast while restocking, ringing up customers and doing sales it's unfair so you need the maxMotives cheat and then the employees just end up quitting when their energy gets too low but they suck up nearly all the profits.

I tried it in the house i had them in before but decided to start from the bottom not in some bigger house and it was too big for just 2 sims but oh well thought it was a gd layout at the time but just the 1 employee to help with stocking sucked almost every simoleon out of them before she went off at my sims and quit that is indeed true plus you can't have a gardener or maid because you have to keep expenses as low as possible i put 2 small solar pannels on the roof of their new house too so it should keep bills down it will probs get more expensive once i upgrade the house when i earn more money and put in more stuff but will still save them a good amount of simoleons .

Looking at your store simsample i think i definitely need to shrink it down i think use some of the space to add in another bathroom or something i dunno i'll figure it out. How would it fair if i sold items at the Ridiculously Expensive? too soon? i've been selling at expensive from the start and 99% of sims are fine with it except the odd one you always get that 1 lol most are happy customers so it's easy just to use Dazzel on them, problem is though every time i try more expensive stuff over 47 simoleons i don't make as much, how much more do you make with selling other stuff and the expenses to restock them?.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 4:26 AM
Get Pescado's business hacks (Business Runs You, and relevantwages). Your employees will be more efficient, and you only have to pay them for their relevant skills and badges, instead of all of them. Sell a variety of stuff and you should make plenty of money. The markup is by percent, the more expensive the stuff you sell, the more money you make.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 4:59 AM
Plus take wholesale perks if you are also selling catalogue items.

~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pygsmyemm
How would it fair if i sold items at the Ridiculously Expensive? too soon? i've been selling at expensive from the start and 99% of sims are fine with it except the odd one you always get that 1 lol most are happy customers so it's easy just to use Dazzel on them, problem is though every time i try more expensive stuff over 47 simoleons i don't make as much, how much more do you make with selling other stuff and the expenses to restock them?.

There's no point selling items that only cost a few simoleons at ridiculously expensive. Instead, try stocking some more expensive items as well. That way you make more profit.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 4:30 PM
^Agreed. Customers will be more likely to buy a §250 plant priced at average than a §40 daisy priced at very expensive.
Alchemist
#10 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 7:58 PM
Open For Business comes with 1 pre-made home business; Delarosa family, flower shop. that lot might help with at least the layout of the business.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 10:09 PM
I just gave it a try with only items i used from the catalog selling at average and it more or less went pretty well except the fussy customers and ones not really knowing what they want lol but i think i earned about 7k although expenses of buying the items to use then restocking are a couple thousand too so id say... i made 3k something simoleons? am i reading that right? or did i really earn 7k simoleons? Susie just made a 50k bonus too from her job omg lol i don't wanna earn that much yet haha. Definitely probs shouldn't open in winter either because some of the sims were going blue lol.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 12:18 AM
Some sims were going blue? Did you forget to add a roof to the building? Or is the shop partly outside?
I've complained before about the ridiculous profit margins in OfB, you'll definitely need to sell some (of the more expensive) plants from the catalog aside from the bouquets your sims can make with the workbench. You can still sell those too, the snapdragons you can make with a golden badge can come in handy in some households. The profit isn't calculated very... elegantly in OfB, any income is counted as income (including bonuses from work!) and any expense is counted as, well, a work-related expensive (including stuff for personal use in a home business). The profit shown is per 24 hours, from 0:00 to 23:59 (or 0:00-11:59 am/pm).
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 8:35 PM
No lol it's all one connected house so it has roofing it's just the customers kept going outside having snowball fights rofl so it was just too cold to open up me thinks so i wouldn't reccomend opening during the winter or any other chilly days because they tend to hang out by the flowers since it's part of a home business where the sims can water, tend and smell your plants it was a mistake to do that though me thinks it's nice that they do my plants for me lol but puts my sims buisness out for a few days. I spent most of the 50k on renovations it didn't get me too far as i expected but things are more cozy now i think well earned for Susie, i have 2 Snapdragons in the shop i don't like to put them in the house because it keeps their needs up too much and i have to use the maxMotives cheat because the boolprop testingcheats isn't working right it's so laggy at the moment.

I really wouldn't sell Snapdragons because it's like over 1k simoleons jsut to make 5 of them and so even if you make 3k you're actually only making 2k i think but i rack up less coasts making Wildflowers and Mixed Flowers i might make Tulips too will just have to see how the expeses go, the Snapdragons plus price of restocking catalog items the coasts start to overtake the profits so you have to be careful there, i don't think i'll open up shop every sim day like couple days a sim week, at the moment my sims don't need to pay anything to the bills because of the solar pannels lol so it's worth getting 2 of those so your sims aren't burdened with the coast of bills while your business grows. Yeh i hate that how household coasts and income counts towards it because i can't see the real profit margin but it also kinda varys how much you make from day-to-day i think so some days you could make a couple hundred more some days a couple hundred less. I may try putting in more stuff, restocking it, selling it all then closing lol unless the restocking coasts will overtake the profit margins it's a bit tricky indeed i think i'm getting hang of it though thanks for your advice folks it's been helpful.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 10:43 PM
Sims will end up blue in winter regardless if you open a business or not.

With all the wholesale perks ticked you will make a decent profit off catalogue items. I also find in regards to crafted items that sims are more willing to pay expenses. Making 2K doesn't bother me, but then all my sims are poor and work hard, it's how I expect things to be. If you want bigger profit margins then catalogue items from mid to expensive set to expensive is the way to go.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 12:28 AM
Yep i have all the whole sales perks, i think i could make a bit more and faster than 2k/3k putting a bit more stuff in at the moment if i want to make 3k the stores open from the afternoon to like 9pm sim time lol i don't wanna make a huge lot of profits every time the store is open but enough so that i don't have to open it up every single day so my simmies can do other stuff, i think i'm at rank 9 now so almost to the top so i think i can go all out now and sell a bunch of stuff i hope once i put in more stuff the sims won't keep going outside so much maybe if they do i can put something around to distract them especially from playing kicky ball in my store lol i built a little area with a roof and an antique fence out back so will see what i can do there.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 4:54 AM
Wholesale cost and the cost of the craftables are always less than you sell them for, unless you've priced them at ridiculously cheap. So no, the cost of making the craftables and restocking will not overtake your profits.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 9:37 PM
I figured out i gave most of the perks to Isabella lol so i'n having to pass on the wholesale stuff to Susie but even when Isabella restocks i'm not sure if the wholesale perks are working although it does seem considerably lower in restock coasts when she does it but Susie is better to restock and on Sales because she's a Popularity sim and more outgoing so she's better at persuading the Customers, i'm still not doing well though i'm selling the same things and suddenly it's not working out any more but i don't think i'll sell too much so i can keep up with restocking, Susie was always restocking so i don't know why i'm doing so bad all of a sudden this is tricky lol.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 9:55 PM
It doesn't matter who restocks. The wholesale perks that apply are the ones that the business owner has, and only your business owner earns perks.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 10:00 PM
Not true i did give Susie some perks to do with Sales while i had her selected when doing it i thought it went to both of them but you have to select the sim you want to have the perks then put the points on but you can pass on the perks i think if your sim is a knoledge sim and Isabella has 2 Aspiration's Family and Knoledge or it's just a thing you can do i'm not sure but you can do it so she's teaching Susie the wholesale perks.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 6:43 AM
My perks always go to the business owner even if they are not currently on the lot. Do you have a mod that changes this?
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 9:00 PM Last edited by Pygsmyemm : 22nd Sep 2018 at 9:28 PM.
No you can pass them along like by pass on means they're being taught about the perks it takes quite a while though and they have to be part of the household look up business perks for TS2 then it will tell you right at the top they can be passed on except the cash prize ones, although i think the knoledge Aspiration is still a handy Aspiration to have for sims who own a buisness so that you could close up and train other sims more quickly. I think i've got it now i didn't know you click the padlock where you buy the items at a much cheaper coast then place them out in the shop, when you simply get your sims to restock the items even the owner it then charges the full price of the items to restock i think restocking is only for a Community business but for a home business you're just losing most of your profits since you're paying full price and just spending what you've earned you don't earn much profits buying at full price so Isabella can run the shop on her own now although i think i'll still use Susie for Sales since everyone seems to like her more but i don't think i'll open up during Winter season still because the sims don't stay as long because it's so cold, so yeh i think i've got it now i can close up sooner too woop! thank you guys.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 11:04 PM
Yes, you can pass along business perks, but when you buy them they are only for the business owner. Restocking always charges you the wholesale price, never the full price, that wouldn't make any sense at all. It doesn't matter whether it's a home business or not, they work the same way as community lot businesses.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 11:34 PM
kestrellyn is correct, it doesn't matter if the owner restocks, an employee or a member of the owners household like a teenage daughter for example, the perks earned apply. Not connected to pass along. If you have someone other than the owner restock and the perk is not working, you have something odd going on.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 2:23 AM
That's not what's happening in my game... it's charging me the full price of the item if i restock so i can't do that and i'm still not earning the profits i should be doing i dunno... been trying to get it right since last week and it just doesn't seem worth making and selling crafted items i put tuplips at expensive and i'm only making 9 simoleons profit from each so in total only 90 simoleons while i'm spending a lot over that making them and selling more expensive items isn't making me more money it just takes my profits away even when i'm deleting the sale signs, placing items in on wholesale price i'm watching my money balance on the bottom right and at the end of it all i'm earning a little over 1k some days other days random amounts from 850 - 990 or so simoleons and i've tried a few combinations of items along with my crafted items keeping it small for now and from 6 Bonacious Bonsai Bonanza's i should be making 1182 simoleons on it's own i put a couple other items in it too but the game is spending what i've earned when i put in more items for the customers at wholesale price, i only restock once since the customers seem to fizzle out when it starts to get around 4/5pm sim time and then i close up, it works one day then the next sim day if i open up i just lose most profits, i don't know why, What items do you sell in your flower shops?.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 2:35 AM
You should be earning way more than that off crafted items. You might have a mod conflict. I would make a full backup then test your shop with downloads pulled.

I sell a variety of catalogue and crafted. I can't say for sure what the profit margin is, only that its way more than 9 simoleans.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 3