Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 2:25 PM Last edited by gazania : 20th Jun 2016 at 8:30 PM.
Default It's that graphics card time again.
My Radeon HD 7700, after years of great service, looks like it might be telling me it's time to switch it out. I've been working with my techie and plain ol' eyeballing the inside of the case myself to see what my setup can handle (I would strongly prefer not to do an overhaul right now) and making sure either of these cards will even fit in the case in the first place (I know both are larger than my old one), checking what my PSU will manage, etc.

I'm between two cards right now ... the Ge Force GTX 950 and the R7 370. My budget, unfortunately, can't accommodate anything over this price range.

Looking at the video cards list on this site, I'm trying to figure out if either of these would cause problems with either Sims series (2 and 3). That is my main concern. I'm trying to make a conclusion from the old card list (obviously, in almost all cases, anything under a -50 doesn't work nearly as well) and using the search function here.

I'm gathering from reading forums here and on the officials that the GTX 950 is a good workhorse. Nothing fancy, but it will do the job for both series. Some people here seem to use the 950 with no main hassles. Is this assessment accurate?

And I see very little about the Radeon R7 370. It does look pretty impressive at first glance, but looks can be deceiving. Does anyone have this card? What are your impressions of it?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 3:25 PM
What country are you buying from? What's your budget? What CPU and what PSU are you using? What kind of games do you plan on playing other than The sims?

The GTX 950 and the R7 370 are very close, with the GTX 950 being a teeny bit better overall. They both seem to be at about USD 150 on amazon.com right now, so since they're both the same price I'd get the GTX 950 over the R7 370.

Either should be able to handle The Sims at 1920x1080. If you're going to be only playing The Sims, then those should be okay.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 4:23 PM Last edited by gazania : 22nd Jun 2016 at 7:31 PM.
I play Sims 2 and 3. A little Cities Skylines now and again. But that's it for me. My family occasionally plays some games on it that are considerably older than Sims 3. No super-intensive graphics games like Witcher 2. Not even close. Sims 3 is probably the most graphics-intensive of the bunch.

I ordered the GTX 950. There was a decent sale on it, and after studying benchmarks and reviews, it appears to be a perfectly-good workhorse card for what I need. Every review I read seemed to favor the GTX 950.

Thank you for your answer!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.