Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 5:45 PM
Default What should i do before uploading my neighborhood?
i'm in the process of making a hood and i need to know what should i do before uploading?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 5:47 PM
Make it the best hood you can.

The upload process is a whole thing in itself. Read the creator guidelines. But first, catch your rabbit.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 5:51 PM
Good luck, Emerald1234! Looking forward to hearing more
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 6:02 PM
thanks it's going to be an alternate universe of sunset valley

oh and if i include cc will it automatically be added to your game or will i have to make a separate folder for the downloads

My Tumblr
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Make it the best hood you can.

The upload process is a whole thing in itself. Read the creator guidelines. But first, catch your rabbit.

what do you mean by catch your rabbit?

My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 6:13 PM
Supposedly there's a cookbook out there somewhere in which the recipe for rabbit stew begins: "First, catch your rabbit."

I say this to people creating things a lot, as they often get the cart before the horse and worry about how they're going to find a publisher, market the work, or whatever before they've got anything to publish. Creation takes a long time, long enough for guidelines and circumstances to change, and it requires a different mindset than the process of sharing your work with the world. So focus first on making the thing you want, and when it's as good as you know how to make it, then you shift gears and start the second process.

I think I've seen you asking about how to do it before, so you've read Mootilda's tutorial on how to make it and all that, I'm presuming. So focus on finishing it up, eliciting specific help in the Creator Feedback thread, and then we can talk about how to fill the guidelines and upload to MTS, when you have something to upload.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#7 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 8:08 PM
It's better to not include CC, otherwise people will have to find and download the same CC in order to play your neighborhood properly. However, you can recommend what CC you believe will enhance the player's experience and provide links so that they won't have to search.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Theorist
#8 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kamoodle5
It's better to not include CC, otherwise people will have to find and download the same CC in order to play your neighborhood properly. However, you can recommend what CC you believe will enhance the player's experience and provide links so that they won't have to search.

^ This. This so much.

I cannot tell you how often I pass up a nice house because there's just too much CC involved.

And with neighbourhoods in particular you will usually see creators using only Basegame content (nothing that came with expansion packs) I understand that limits you somewhat in how to re-create Sunset Valley, but it would make the download accessible to the largest amount of users.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 8:17 PM
is there not a way to include cc in the download? or just have a seperate folder containing the downloads?

My Tumblr
Alchemist
#10 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 8:50 PM
after finishing the neighborhood, it might be good to post in the feedback section before attempting to upload.
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...splay.php?f=611
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 9:14 PM
I have downloaded two hoods both requiring some CC, don't be put off by those wanting none. Try and use good CC that most people have/would want and limit it to a few needed pieces. Nobody wants a hood full of random CC. So there is a fine line to walk when using cc. If you can do without it, do without it. Then do up a separate folder with the CC. If people have to go all over the net to find it a lot of people will decide not to download your hood, so make sure you know where each piece of CC comes from and the creator has an open TOU.

Personally, for myself, I dislike base game hoods. The reason being I end up destroying half the houses/tweaking and decorating it so much that it becomes too much like work that I was trying to avoid by downloading it in the first place. These days with the UC I think going base game is somewhat pointless. I think the main thing is pleasing yourself while also thinking about the needs of downloaders because you are the one putting forth the effort and you have to love the creation. If somebody wants to make a no cc base game hood go for it, there is a market for it, but there is also a market for full game with lightly done CC. What there tends to be not much market for is heavy cc games of any configuration.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 9:29 PM
I would point out that one of the most creatively successful and impressive neighborhoods, Polgannon, not only uses all EPs and SPs, but includes a folder of custom content that Maxon felt was necessary to properly recreate a Cornish village.

Do what is necessary to accomplish what you wish to accomplish. There's a market for all kinds of neighborhoods, including yours.

But keep it as simple as you can while still fulfilling your vision. The more complicated you make it, the more likely you are to make some major mistake and the less likely you are to finish it.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 9:38 PM
Unless you happen to be Plasticbox. I marvel at how complicated the lots in Elsewhere (Coral Bay) are all the time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 9:52 PM
how can i get lots to have the walls connecting? like in elsewhere

My Tumblr
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 10:01 PM
If my memory is correct you build your house and on the left and right you draw the front and back wall one extra click each left and right. Then you use lot adjuster to shrink the lot 5 tiles either side. You end up with what looks like joined houses because of the fake left and right walls. I have one up here if you need some pictures to understand what I mean http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=576847 You will see how it has extra wall sticking out, it's those walls that meet as you place the lots next to each other. You shrink the lot so that there is only one wall space on each lot, not two. Normally when you build you can only build a wall 2 squares from the edge, but the adjuster allows for one wall away.

I would make sure you know how to build a row house singly though before attempting to add row houses to your hood.

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#16 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 10:08 PM
walls from different lots connecting with each other; I think only possible if the lots overlap.
to overlap lots; Lot Adjuster is one way. SimPE might be another way; more specifically the Lot Description resources.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 10:13 PM
Lots overlapping is another thing, you can see that done in Polgannon by maxon uploaded here. Regular row houses are simply lots touching with walls going to the edge of each lot as I described above.

~Call me Jo~