Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#76 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 7:07 PM
That's gorgeous Lana! What a shame about the clock. Hopefully you'll be able to make one.

I have a very basic shape of Nadia's house ready and thought I'd show you, to get some input.

Usually the houses in the town center are directly on the street, but I don't know if that will work in the game. I'm planning to leave the ground floor empty, to suggest there are shops below the house. Maybe I can put some shop stuff outside, but that adds to the house's value. Will that be ok, or is Nadia on a budget?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 7:16 PM
You know what would be very cool, a plaza with houses and community lots. Row houses could really be utilized in a plaza, with balconies and vespas and bikes. 6: Would be somewhat similar to champ les sims town square, but possibly with more buildings yes?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#78 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 7:26 PM Last edited by lanawinst : 25th Feb 2010 at 8:50 PM.
Thanks sleepyrose I love your idea of shops under. I totally imagined the downtown like lia said, plazas with row houses and community mixed around so the houses would give directly to the street hence the plaza, that would look awesome. Nadia is not going to be rich since she's some kind of waitress but we're going to give her enough to live in it and we could also give her a roomie to help. As you feel it when building the house.

Edit: We should use the same pavement on all the town-center's lots sidewalks to give a real feeling of that. I used the red cobblestones in an arc but if you see one that would fit better tell it here so that we choose one. We could even go further and unify the community objects like benches etc... Maybe it would be too much though.

Edit n.2: It's not Nadia, it's Talula. I got so confused with all the name changing :P
Forum Resident
#79 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 8:49 PM
A plaza would make a lot of sense. I'll continue working on the building and worry about what to do with the shops on the ground floor later.

About unifying the community objects, I'm for it. It might be more work, but it will give more feeling to the downtown area. Uhm... actually, I don't know if it would be much more work. We could decide on a pattern/color, etc. and some of us could recolor the objects, so we can all download them. What do you think?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#80 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 8:58 PM
I didn't know we could upload our recolor of ea's objects but that's a great idea indeed! It requires some work organizing but afterwards it will certainly get easier.

What about each builder makes a list of patterns etc they think would fit and we will choose from that. Like that:
- benches: le grand amour park bench - red wood pattern - black metal
- side-walk: ...
- lamps: ...

There's no way unfortunately to be more precise with the patterns, unless you know one?
#81 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 9:42 PM
That's a good idea, Sleepyrose. It would be good if we used the same patterns for certain objects like benches and lamps as Lana suggested. I've updated the Swordfish and did some landscaping. What do you think?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#82 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 9:56 PM
That looks amazing ! I love your little hills

You only need one more thing: some dirt underneath your plants and objects, and a little path leading to the stairs. Maybe, but that wouldn't be necessary, play with different kind of herb, flower paints, create spots of wild grass?
#83 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 9:56 PM
Thank you, Lana! I'll do some more landscaping soon. I was trying to create a path leading up to the entrance earlier too but then couldn't decide on which terrain paint I should use. I tried the cobblestones, I tried gravel, I tried sand...lol.
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 10:32 PM
That looks amazing, perhaps we should have like a checklist/to-do list? Not only for lots but for other things too like sims, history, summarizing, etc.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#85 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 10:38 PM
I know how frustrating it is to try thousand variation of textures/paint/... before finding the one that looks good... or not You'll handle it fine I'm sure.

Lia, that's what I'm already doing on the 1st post of the building and sim thread But you're right I should do it for the story-making too.
#86 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by litt0_lia
That looks amazing, perhaps we should have like a checklist/to-do list? Not only for lots but for other things too like sims, history, summarizing, etc.

Thanks, and you're right, we should have a checklist so it's easier to keep track of stuff. And oh, the family tree...should we get started on that? I guess we could discuss it in the Inhabitants Thread. See you there.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#87 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lanawinst
Lia, that's what I'm already doing on the 1st post of the building and sim thread But you're right I should do it for the story-making too.

.. ahem.. :P
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 10:50 PM
Oh. LOLOL

*Face-Palm* Have I told you I'm forgetful? Because I am. But there is no excuses for such a thing that I did. Blehh. XD I'm going back to my dwelling place now keke. ;-;
Forum Resident
#89 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 11:30 PM
At the official site we should be able to upload recolors, unless they changed that. I've seen many items at the exchange that were just recolors. For this project it might come in very handy.

As far as I know there's no way to be precise about the patterns. Apart from the catagories they don't have special numers or names, do they?

Another thing I've been thinking about is what kinds of trees, shrubs and flowers we should use. If we're already building lots, it might be an idea to make sure they don't stand out too much on the map.
#90 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 11:41 PM
I agree, we need a list of objects such as trees and shrubs that we're allowed to use. Bamboos, for example, may not fit the setting. But palm trees would.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#91 Old 25th Feb 2010 at 11:43 PM Last edited by lanawinst : 26th Feb 2010 at 12:48 AM.
All right, I'll make a list so that we'll be able to discuss and correct it.

Edit: I'm going to put the list in the first thread so that I could update it and that you find it easily. Go check there
Wiki Wizard
#92 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 5:18 PM
I'm going to begin building on the Antique shop this evening, i may even get to finish itt tonight! :D

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#93 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 5:24 PM
Woot! I'm holding my breath now
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#94 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 6:41 PM
Alright, so I found a tower-clock for my city hall but no windows so I'm probably going to have to modify an EA mesh. I'm just so not in the mood for meshing right now that I'll probably do it later.

Thinking of how the town will looks like and since lia mentioned it I went to see how they did it for France and we could really get inspired by some of it. We could definitely build our center like that:

But instead of having one big main plaza having our town revolve around many small plazas and the coastline. It's just for the general form and our houses would still follow the pictures I posted, more colorful etc. What do you guys think?

Edit: I'll try my hand at a market place to get a better feeling of it. 25x25 seems like a good size.
Wiki Wizard
#95 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 7:54 PM
Ok i like the idea I have finished my antique shop and uploaded it to a new thread i made

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#96 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 8:05 PM
Thanks for creating this new thread, it's going to be useful.

I just saw it and it looks awesome :lovestruc I love the little details and the overall feeling, it will fit really nicely in our neighborhood. What do you think you're going to do next?
Wiki Wizard
#97 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 8:08 PM
Oooh lol just realised i threw the bit of paper with my list on it in the rubbish bin *retrieves*

I think i might do the bookstore next also i won't do a bar as charmingfirewaller is doing a beach one, we don't need two. Then i will do the day spa after the bookstore, and finally spend a few days doing the fish trading company mansion!!! *squee*

#98 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 8:36 PM
That town center looks beautiful, Lana. It'd be great if we could do something similar to that. And I'm gonna go check out your antique store, DD.

EDIT: I just saw the screenshots of DD's antique store and it looks very warm and quaint. I can already imagine sims walking through the statues and bookshelves and browsing items. You did a wonderful job.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#99 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 8:42 PM
Just a thought, DD, but what do you think of adding a relic register to your antique store? It would look even more realistic with a relic merchant, don't you think?

You're right for the bar, even if it's going to be the diner rabbit hole players will certainly use it also as a bar. I'm really looking forward to see the bookstore . Is it going to be a downtown building or not?
Wiki Wizard
#100 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 8:52 PM
Thanks CharmingFirewaller Also Lana, what do you mean by a relic register, what is one of those? lol

In terms of the book store, maybe it could be part of the town centre idea that you're proposing, so a small lot I am not sure whether you would consider the antique shop downtown but i would have said that it is more an outskirts of town sort of building, lol it would be much better if we had a map and definitive plan to work with so we knew what building would go where and how much lot size we had to work with, otherwise we might end up with a real jumble of houses :/

Page 4 of 51