Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 3:36 PM
I like to make PlantSims with treeag's Sim Transformer and then make it spawn plant babies then kill it off. The Social Worker will take those toddlers like any other then you can adopt them into a human family, and it goes way faster if you don't want to deal with kid and teen stages and college.

Also make a random CAS Sim and make it have Alien babies then kill it. Makes the adoption pool more fun

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:12 PM
It is because I want to adopt different skintone than the parents that I was interested in this mod.
Who know, maybe this is what the other one wanted as well. I do not personally know this other member, so I see no point making fuss about their intentions that i am not even aware of! No?
My son's father married an Asian woman and they had 2 little girls from that union. My uncle & aunt adopted a little boy years ago, just after they found out they were expecting..result, they had a little girl..and a black little boy of the same age. Nothing was cuter.
With this game limitation, pale skin sims can only adopt pale skin children..what if i want to pretend, my sims adopt from a foreign country? Then a mod that lets you choose the skintone IS the key. Racism has nothing to do with this, on the contrary. Please, calm down.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Alchemist
#28 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:31 PM
Wait, are you saying that your Sims used to be limited to adopting children who shared their skintone? Because that's not the way the game is supposed to work.

I think we should all give each other the benefit of the doubt, but that other poster often urged people to visit a site which asserted that some races were inferior to others. @Simonut was right to speak up.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:37 PM
Like I said, I do not know this person. I am not aware of their intentions either, so I will certainly not judge, I do not have the required information. Not that I do not trust you, but I did not witness any of it myself.
I am no one to state if Simonut was right or wrong, either. And yes, in my game, the times I have made my sims adopt, the adoptee had always the same skintone as the parent who placed the call. No clue if my adoption pool was empty or not, if the game had to create children for this or not. I do not have kids taken away.

Alchemist
#30 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:45 PM
The adoption pool is always empty unless you add kids to it. The game creates children on demand. Ther's a 1/4 chance that the game will generate kids of the same skintone as the caller. It's really weird that it happened for you 100% of the time.

I'm not saying that you need to judge; just that we're not in a situation where one has to guess the poster's motivation since the posts are publicly available for all to see.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:48 PM
Maybe you're right.
I just hate that sort of stuff. lol
I'll go adopt more children and I'll see! but in the meantime..I'll pretend what I'll pretend.

Forum Resident
#32 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Please, calm down.

I keep a very wide variety of skintones in my game, so I never see children up for adoption with the same skins. I'm also not 'freaking out' because again, I deal with racism on a daily basis, so it's something I'm used to, if deeply aggrieved by. Speaking out about it and wanting to be clear - even HERE - that it's not tolerable shouldn't be seen as 'freaking out'.

I'm going to chalk this up to english not being your first language as you've pointed out in other threads, but I would strongly caution you that telling people to calm down can be viewed as patronizing unless the person is doing something utterly insane in a thread.
Alchemist
#33 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:57 PM
I'd be interested to hear if it's a statistical thing, like when you get several babies of one sex in a row, or if that's a really odd glitch or combination of mods you have going in your game. I think it's fun that, at this point, almost everyone's games are so customized that we all have unique setups.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
I keep a very wide variety of skintones in my game, so I never see children up for adoption with the same skins. I'm also not 'freaking out' because again, I deal with racism on a daily basis, so it's something I'm used to, if deeply aggrieved by. Speaking out about it and wanting to be clear - even HERE - that it's not tolerable shouldn't be seen as 'freaking out'.

I'm going to chalk this up to english not being your first language as you've pointed out in other threads, but I would strongly caution you that telling people to calm down can be viewed as patronizing unless the person is doing something utterly insane in a thread.

Ok, but typing DIE DIE DIE etc..is over reacting don't you think?
Chalk it up? So..you are doing me a favor here.
Maybe I was indeed patronizing you. Maybe I even did this on purpose, and in full knowledge of the facts, in my second language.

Mad Poster
#35 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 6:44 PM Last edited by Rosawyn : 20th Mar 2017 at 6:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Ok, but typing DIE DIE DIE etc..is over reacting don't you think?

I understood the "DIE DIE DIE" to be in reference to the small-mindedness and implicit racism in the idea that families need to "look related." (And seriously? If anyone needs their sim families to look related, then maybe adoption really isn't the best option for them...) Anyway, I don't think I'd call it an overreaction at all; racism does need to die.
Theorist
#36 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 6:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
I just wanted to say that I know a number of families who have adopted interracially and they all look like families. Being a family is about MORE than just skintone.

I'm really confused as to why this would even be a problem. I mean in most cases the thing about adopted children IRL is that they are not biologically related to their parents, so I no logical reason why they should look like them IRL or in the Sims.

If someone wants their Sims to have children that look like they are biologically related, then they should have them spawn, instead of picking up the phone and adopting.

Easy as that.

Sometimes I really like adopting children with my Sim families, particularly with same-sex couples or family Sims that wish for a ton of children. But in challenges that encourage against reproducing with Townies and/or Cas sims (such as the Pleasantview Epic Challange) adopted kids can also be a good way to diversify the genepool a bit.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 7:12 PM
In my experience and from people that I know, I have to say that it is hard to tell adopted kids apart from biological ones - adopted kids tend to copy the body language, facial expressions, etc. of their adoptive parents too. The resemblance in RL may not be that physical, as in eye color, for instance, but, trust me, it is most definitely there.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 9:05 PM
Given the state of the world I'd say we should all be going around saying DIE DIE DIE to small-mindedness and the discrimination it causes.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 10:03 PM
Wow, this is a game - we're talking about coloured pixels here not people. If someone wants only certain colours of Sims in their game that's their business, surely.
Scholar
#40 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 10:43 PM
Most my Sims are green and blue! What does that make me???????

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:11 PM
I tried adopting a few times years ago and either got very ugly (worst face templates always) or boring sims, so I stopped. This was long before I used cc skins, eyes or templates though, I'm sure now I would get some cute ones.

People can do whatever they want in game, but if web sites get posted here that are hateful they will be removed.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I tried adopting a few times years ago and either got very ugly (worst face templates always) or boring sims, so I stopped. This was long before I used cc skins, eyes or templates though, I'm sure now I would get some cute ones.

People can do whatever they want in game, but if web sites get posted here that are hateful they will be removed.

I must have missed something. Where was the link to a hateful site?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:24 PM
It's not on here that I can see. Only Simnut said she saw it, perhaps it was on another post. This was 7 years ago so it could very well have been edited out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#44 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:27 PM
There is no racism, no sexism, no selecting sims by ugliness or wealth in game. It's all in our thoughts. I'd like to live in The Sims than in real world.
Theorist
#45 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

Oh man same here, I only started adopting once i installed a lot of additional face templates. Now I usually adopt child sims, save before they arrive and reload until one shows up with one of the custom face templates hahaha.
Alchemist
#46 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by krudyard
I must have missed something. Where was the link to a hateful site?
It isn't in this thread. It was posted in enough other threads that the poster gained a reputation for it.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 1:03 AM
@thelevitatingscot - It's good to welcome a fellow Scottish Simmer to the forum! Please stick around and keep posting. The rules and conventions can be a bit intimidating at first, but, if you stick around, you'll find us a friendly and generally helpful lot. (My fellow forum members -- we'll some of you anyway, please try to be a bit more welcoming to new forum newbies. If you'd checked his profile, you'd have seen he'd only just joined MTS that day. The TS2 community has to keep attracting new members if it's to survive.)

I get your point about Scottish society, but I rather like the colour-blind adoption in The Sims. The 'hood I'm currently playing, Baldrair Bluffs, is Simerican in nature as it's primary purpose is as a "feeder" town to Land Grant University. The settlement at Baldrair Bluffs was originally founded by Scots exiles (in my dog-Gaelic "Baldrair" means "underpants town"!), but Simourris State, for historic reasons has a high proportion of black inhabitants. Well I had my very first adoption there a few weeks ago. My gay black couple decided to adopt a child. Well, the next day, the black social worker brought them a delightful little white girl called Alyssa. And her two new daddies fell for her almost immediately – and she fell for them. And I just loved to see how happy the three of them were together. You know I pay so little attention to race or colour in the game, that I had to start it up specially to check what colour she was. Because I couldn’t remember for sure. After all, if the game doesn’t care what race a Sim belongs to, why should I?!

I agree that the Scottish population is overwhelmingly white. But when I think of the Real Life adoptions of which I’m actually aware, a surprising number are in fact interracial. In particular I’m thinking of our lovely Scottish poet Jackie Kay, who, I believe finds it much easier to relate to her white Scottish adoptive mum and dad, than to her African birth father, who I understand is a fundamentalist pastor.

I like colour-blind adoption, the way it’s done in an unmodded Sims 2 game, but as I understand it, current practice in the UK is to try to match children being adopted with parents of the same ethnicity. The idea is supposed to be that white adoptive parents wouldn’t be able to relate to the racial abuse that a black child will suffer, and as a result couldn’t supply the help he/she needs. Personally I dislike the new trend as it assumes that racism will always exist, and I think our world would be much better if, like our Sims, we just didn’t notice skin colour. And I’d say that Jackie Kay is the living proof of just how successful Real Life interracial adoption can be. But, if you want to mirror what is supposed to be enlightened current practice in your game, you would indeed want to use Squinge’s mod to match skin-tone.

By the way I have just downloaded and installed (but not yet actually used) another Squinge adoption mod; one that allows teens to adopt children. I’m just waiting till the teens in question have established a good enough relationship with each other before they phone the social work department.

Finally, @thelevitatingscot please stick around and tell us more about you game. I'd love to hear more about it.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 2:06 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Mar 2017 at 3:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
That's why you kill off the parents afterwards. Either that or make the kids in CAS, age them up to adult, plop them down on the lot and use the SimBlender to turn them back into children.

As long as kids are adopted the proper way, (and if I remember correctly), all family ties will be broken when the kid is adopted. I'm not sure if they retain any memories. It's been very long since I tried this.

I have made a couple of orphanages, and had one live-in adult related to all the kids, as the social worker/orphanage manager.

As for the whole skintone debate - it's a game, and people can play the way they want. Some use a wide range of skins, other prefer using only light or only dark, or all the colors of the rainbow, or animal furs, or whatever floats their boat.

Spoiler for length...
Mad Poster
#49 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Some people want to identify with their sims, while other people want to play with diversity.

I guess I've never had an trouble identifying with sims who don't look like me, so I'm really not sure why this is being presented as an "either or." I think of all the sims I've played, the sims I've made the strongest personal connection with were actually Ophelia Nigmos and Johnny Smith, neither of whom looks even remotely like me.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Nobody complains if a player only have dark-skinned sims, or if they only play with gay couples in their games, so why should they complain for the rest?
In New Desconia they're all gay or bi. There was one straight Sim (Sebastian Reilly) but one of his girlfriends persuaded him that he'd have more fun if he did it with boys too, so now he's bi. By the way, they're all Romance too! I just kept quiet about it (until now) in case anyone complained!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Page 2 of 3