Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 1:16 AM Last edited by mdsb759 : 3rd Jul 2017 at 11:42 PM.
Default College Bills
college bills are calculated like this:: standard bills multiplied by housing factor multiplied by playable sims divided by total resident sims
housing factors::
dorm: 6
private residence: 1.6
Greek housing: 1.8

got that info from University's Prima Guide.

dorm pricing
if playable characters are less than 4/15 of total capacity, the dorm would be least expensive of college lots.
equal to 4/15 of total capacity, equal to private residence.
between 4/15 and 3/10 of total capacity, between the other 2 college lots.
equal to 3/10 of total capacity, equal to Greek housing.
more than 3/10 of total capacity, most expensive.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 1:48 AM
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
college bills are calculated like this:: standard bills multiplied by housing factor multiplied by playable bills divided by total resident sims
housing factors::
dorm: 6
private residence: 1.6
Greek housing: 1.8
Does anyone know what they mean by "standard bills" and "playable bills"?

There was quite a bit of discussion on this subject in my University. . . or not University? Should I or shouldn't I? thread, which I started last year after buying the University EP. Frankly my student Sims were outraged at the bills they were being asked to pay in dorms. Some were considering working as strippers to pay the bills which were far more than their grants! I'm not entirely sure how this works (because I don't understand "standard bills" and "playable bills", but "housing factor" of 6 might help to explain why dorm bills are so high. If that value is held in a single BCON, then it might be relatively simple to reduce bills by substituting a lower figure.

Now that joandsarah77's Community Spirit contest is nearing its end, I was minded to make a start in learning how work in Simantics, and try to write a "No Bills in Dorms" mod. An "Affordable Bills in Dorms" mod would however be better, and this information does suggest that it might not be quite as hard to write as I at first imagined. Any thoughts?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 1:52 AM
I think it was a typo, and meant to be "playable Sims." Assuming that standard bills are $30, you would get:

(30 x 6 (dorm housing factor) x 3 (playable Sims)) / 15 (total Sims in residence) = $36
With 4 playable Sims, it would be $48, which is the same as the bill for a private residence (30 x 1.6 = 48)

At the other end of the scale:

(30 x 6 x 4) / 10 = $72

(Obviously, the actual "standard bills" number is a lot higher than $30, because my Sims are getting hit with bills for hundreds of Simoleons, but 30 was a nice easy number to work with!)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 11:45 PM
yes, I did mean "playable sims". edited the post.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 12:59 AM
Are you supposed to pay the bills in the dorms, though? I've never in my life done so and the repo-man never shows up. I was pretty sure that my sims were getting bills due to a hack conflict. :p
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 3:31 AM
Yes, you're supposed to pay them, and I've had the repo-man show up. He'll take something from the common area, like the chess table, but it's your playables who have to replace it - you can't do it even in buy mode when the dorm is empty. Maybe you have a mod that stops the repo-man?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 7:20 AM
Mad Poster
#9 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 7:49 AM
I've always received bills in dorms (didn't realize that was rare), and while I've blinked a few times at how high they were, I've never actually had a sim go broke (money trees for the win?).
Scholar
#10 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 7:17 PM
I find that poor Sims, like former townies who only have $500 to start with, are far more likely to get dorm bills than a student from a rich family who brings 18K to college with her. I guess it depends on whether your parents attend the same country club as the college chancellor.
Inventor
#11 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 8:51 PM
I've had the issue where dorm bills stop coming. My sims will sometimes get one or a few bills and then... nothing. The mail person comes by, hangs around the mailbox for a moment, and leaves without leaving any. I've never figured out what causes it or noticed any specific similarities between the times/places it happens.
Instructor
#12 Old 5th Jul 2017 at 9:20 PM
I remember having that issue in the unmodded game years ago, but now that I use Cyjon's billing mods it's a flat $500 per student every single day to live in the dorm. (Although, can't you just use the Visitor Controller to stop the mailman from coming all together? That is what I do on residential lots where I don't want bills to show up for one reason or another.)
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Yes, you're supposed to pay them, and I've had the repo-man show up. He'll take something from the common area, like the chess table, but it's your playables who have to replace it - you can't do it even in buy mode when the dorm is empty. Maybe you have a mod that stops the repo-man?

I don't have a no repo-man hack, no. I do get notifications about the collection agency but no repo-man ever really comes. I didn't pay them because I thought it was a hack conflict and I couldn't be bothered fixing it, so I just thought I'd leave well enough alone. I'm going to start paying them now, though, I like broke sims!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fouksia
I like broke sims!

It certainly makes the game more challenging!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 1:55 AM
know that it has been a long time.

found a BCON that confirms the "housing" factors. part of the BCONs that get cloned with mailbox.
Scholar
#16 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 4:32 PM
My dorm students always get bills, my standard residence students usually do, but I think I've only had 3 bills for Greek houses (one of which was for over $26 k, at a time when the dorm consisted of three beds and a small bathroom, due to a bug). Strange.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 4:36 PM
My dormies always get bills. They're usually in the hundreds of dollars, too. I thought that was just part of the game.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Scholar
#18 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 5:23 PM
I use to play dorms and got a bug that prevent my students from reciving bills after a while. Now I play a student who got his own hause and so far he get bills (2:nd year first half). I do not really pay attention to who mush the bills are, I just let them pay.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 7:40 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 22nd Jan 2018 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Typo: It's modding I want to learn, not nodding!
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
know that it has been a long time.

found a BCON that confirms the "housing" factors. part of the BCONs that get cloned with mailbox.
My resolution for 2018 must be to do something about these dorm bills that my poor students can't pay. I can't help thinking that multiplying the standard bill by 6 is helping to make these bills so high. I've never done any BHAV/BCON modding, but, with a background in computer programing I feel I ought to be able to learn. (Changing BCONs to customise the Visitor Controller is the furthest I've gone, and the readme told me just what BCON to change.) Can you tell me how I can get at this BCON so I can make a start?

I would prefer to make a global hack, but I suppose a hacked mailbox at each dorm would do. I'm never going to have all that many dorms!

Any general advice on where to start with BHAV/BCON modding would be very much appreciated too.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 1:58 AM
do not remember BCON's name or instance. I think instance is the lowest of mailbox's BCONs.

if the group is 0xffffffff, any changes would be applied to just the hack.
with original group (0x7f then 6 digits), any changes would be applied to all occurrences of the object. I do not remember mailbox's original group.
Theorist
#21 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 2:36 PM
There's bills in college? I forgot all about that because my Sims only stay on campus for as long as it takes to use the college adjuster.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 4:29 PM
There are bills in college. I never have been able to figure out the rhyme or reason why some of my playable Sims in dorms get them and some don't.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 11:59 PM
before posting post 15 ( http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...874#post5331874 ), cloned the mailbox.
after my last post ( http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...788#post5332788 ), checked that file.
the BCON is lowest instance; BCON 1000. name is "Tuning".

realized that I told some wrong things in last post::
group 0xffffffff; just the hack would be if it has a unique GUID.
original group; more accurately "all shipped version occurrences". and that if it is original GUID.