Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#351 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 4:50 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Dec 2022 at 5:04 AM.
^ Could depend what you've merged - you shouldn't merge mods, but recolors is fine.

Some tips here on what's safe and not to bundle/merge:
https://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/34791.html#cutid1 (last heading)
https://keoni-chan.tumblr.com/post/...cc-a-mini-guide

With a 1/1000 chance on crashing you'd likely not even think anything was wrong - you could play your game once every day for nearly 3 years without a single crash with those odds, so assuming you mean a bit more often than that?

If you add or remove CC, especially if you remove large chunks and/or mods, it can be a good idea to delete the cache files, so those get a proper reset (unless you have them set up to not need this).

The time issue can come from a mod, either one you've just put in or one you already have in your game. You can try Testingcheats to see if it causes errors, or any of the various mod search/test programs to see if it finds conflicts in your Downloads folder (like the HCDU, or P&M's "WhatCausedThis" if you get errors). The size of the mod doesn't always matter - two small mods can cause trouble, too.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#352 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 5:14 AM
Reminds me of some glitched custom content that would freeze the game even though you were in live mode. I remember having a piece of cc like this, which was a menu board I placed in the kitchen, and my game wouldn't move at all; not even time passed. I was very scared at first but after a google search I discovered it's caused by bad cc. I enabled testingcheats and it told me what the item that was messing with the game was, and after I deleted it, everything worked fine again!

Another time I downloaded a mod that caused my sims to reset every time the cursor hovered over a phone. I knew it was something in my downloads folder immediately, and after a lot of 50/50 I finally found it. However, after reading the comments of that mod, I didn't see anyone experiencing the same as me, so maybe it was the mod conflicting with something else and not so much the mod itself.

I still wonder if mods can conflict with custom content that doesn't technically change the game's mechanics? I know mods conflicting with other mods is common, but can they conflict with other pieces of cc? I remember when the story progression mod was coming out, I put it in my game and deleted all the conflicting mods that were known, but after loading the game, all my sims would spin uncontrollably because they kept reseting. I did 50/50 trying to find the mod conflict but I couldn't find it. Eventually I took out all my mods (I kept cc like clothes, hairs, make up, a few buy mode items) and the sims were still spinning! So the mod wasn't conflicting with any other mods, but maybe some cc? I took out all my cc and the sims wouldn't reset anymore.

I currently have the issue that my game pretty often crashes on community lots, but it's not the kind of crash where the pop-up "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate" comes up on the screen. My game just freezes (like when a sim gets a tan or when the seasons change) but it never un-freezes; it just stays like that and the game eventually closes, no message shown. I can get around this by pausing every few minutes and saving the game as much as I can, and also by passing the camera over the whole lot from the very beginning, before I start playing the community lot, and sometimes that helps the game not crash, sometimes it still does. I wonder if this is also a mod conflict, or if it's a graphics issue (I have all the fixes known to man), or if it's because I have many lots and sims in the hood, or because maybe probably possible perhaps I might've done a few little things to corrupt my hood a long time ago. ¿?¿?¿?

Ah... this game.
Lab Assistant
#353 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 5:55 AM Last edited by KaruraWasabi : 14th Dec 2022 at 5:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Yes, I only ever merged recolors (that isn't a fence). Sometimes when I'm feeling daring, furniture meshes, but that's rare. I don't add new stuff to my game often, but when I do it's quite nerve-wracking loading the game and playing a (test) household, hoping my game wouldn't crash. Once two full in-game days have passed without any crashing, that's when I know the mod/CC is (hopefully) playable.

I admit, I should've done more troubleshooting. It could be mod conflict too. The crashes are usually "the application will now terminate" kind of crash--I didn't get any error log (so can't run WhatCausedThis), and the config log I got doesn't show that I'm running out of memory either.

I'll run HCDU and see if there's any mod conflict or anything. If it doesn't work, then I'll just have to continue thoroughly playtesting mods and CC before putting them in my main game

(Unrelated, but does anyone ever have certain textures randomly becoming blurrier in-game? Happened with me sometimes when I'm playing huge lots with all graphic effects turned up. I assume it's just something the game does when it struggles with performance, so probably not that strange--at least it's not pink soup! )
Mad Poster
#354 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 4:07 PM
Textures becoming blurrier when zooming out usually has to do with how they're made. One potential problem can come from doing "update all sizes" when you've done "build DXT" (this one auto-builds all sizes, so updating shouldn't be necessary). This will in some cases cause the smaller textures to become blurrier. The "update all sizes" should only be used if the texture has been imported with other methods and the texture isn't auto-updated.

The "Import" and "DXT1" options can also have somewhat worse results than using DXT3 and 5.

Usually, the game won't turn down the settings on its own, but when you zoom in and out the smaller textures will be used, so that could be what you're seeing, especially if those are a bit more blurry than they should be.

Might not be so easy to check, but if you have a few items that blur more than they should - if the main texture looks fine you can try to extract it and rebuild the texture without doing "update all sizes", to see if that's the problem.
Forum Resident
#355 Old 15th Dec 2022 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Did it actually snow?

No snow, Andrew, so I really don't know what that was all about. I really wanted the sim kid to go to school since she had a want to get an A+ but this was a 1x1 lot so I had to put a driveway in the road so I could buy a car and have Mom drive her there.

The preceding spring *was* a cold spring, but I don't think there was any more snow past the second day of spring. Oh well. This game be weird, man.
Forum Resident
#356 Old 6th Mar 2023 at 4:40 AM
Doubleposting after two months:

I saw a visiting sim ding-dong-dash the household I was playing earlier this evening. Really. The visitor and his wife were both friends of the couple on the lot, and all are elders. So the husband came to the door, rang the bell. So far, no big deal, seen it a thousand times before. Then he went back to the sidewalk and took off like a newspaper thief!

Whoa. I looked at where the paper had been, and it was still there. But the sim was gone from the lot. His wife stayed, and rang the doorbell herself. Both my sims were busy so I ignored her, and she soon walked off the lot normally.

Kinda funny, actually. Now I want ding-dong-dash to be a thing in the game.
Page 15 of 15