Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 8:15 AM
Default Sims and Memories
What is the problem with memories when it comes to corruption and sims?

I have been using the No Trash Memories mod by BoilingOil for a long time now, but I think I don't really like that.

I want my Sims to remember when they met so-and-so, because I have some colourful and wonderful memories of meeting people - it seems a bit stupid to me to deny my Sims that.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 9:38 AM
No Trash Memories is easy to customize with SimPE, so you could enable the memories you wanted. I don't think there are any issues with a properly generated "Met Sim" memory, the only ones HoodChecker removes are the invalid ones.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 10:32 AM
Thank you, @Ovenhole
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 11:53 AM
But what makes a memory invalid, though? I would love to understand that, just out of curiosity.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 3:58 PM
There is no problem with memories and corruption. People seem to think there is but corrupted memories are a symptom not a cause of corruption. But, and this is important to remember, they are also fairly common in normal gameplay and get cocked up by the game just being the game. It's not a problem.

I edit all Little Carping's memories by hand - you can change them, add them, delete them, do what you like with them, and that's never a problem either. That's a bit extreme though for managing them. I realise that. I do it because I'm used to it and because I'm nosey about who the sims have been talking to and what events they've witnessed. I like them to have the Met memories too, so I don't use any of the memory cleaners. As I said, I do it myself. I guess I could make a mod to clean out the ones I don't want (and tidy up the gossip) but I guess I'm used to it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 1:25 AM
An invalid memory is one that references a non-existent Sim or object, or worse still. references a different Sim or object to the one it originally referenced.

To my way of thinking, it's our memories, more than anything else, that make us who we are. Without my memories I wouldn't be me. I don't use No Trash Memories or the "Clear Trash Memories" option on the Batbox because fundamentally I don't agree with Pescado and BoilingOil that these memories are trash. By looking through their memories, I can trace the history of a Sim's life. I am looking at Julian Moltke's memories. Very soon after moving in, he remembers meeting 3 Sims. I can remember him meeting them too. It was the day that his family moved into their house at 100 Via Veronaville. (That makes it December 2012 during my first month Simming, before Julian had even met Andrew.) Julian went to Veronaville Market with his mum Manuela and his little Sister Brigitte, really just to look round the town they had moved into. (His dad Martin couldn't go because young Hans Moltke was still a toddler.) Julian can remember meeting Garry Mackay (Gloria's boyfriend); I seem to recall them chatting near some steps. Then Julian met two townie teens: Jihoon LeTourneau and Amar Larrea. I got Julian to check them both out as I wanted him to identify as gay, so he would respond positively to any advances from Andrew. I see the next thing he remembers was burning some hot dogs. I don't remember that but I do remember little Brigitte eating those hot dogs, and Julian and Manuela having to sit in the taxi waiting till she'd finished eating them. Garry, Jihoon and Amar all remember their meeting with Julian too. In Jihoon's case it's his first memory. Amar and Jihoon are both playable now, but I have been careful to use mods so that my townies keep their memories when they become playable. That's important to me: townies' memories are part of the history of the town too.

Sorry, that was quite a long digression, but I think it shows how important "Met Sim" memories are to my way of playing. It's not just "Met Sim" memories either. I did at one point toy with the idea of customising BoilingOil's No Trash Memories, but when I looked at the list of memories it could prevent, I realised I wanted to keep them all -- except one: I don't want any Sim to get a bad memory of "Never went to college". But that's not because I think it's a "trash" memory -- it's because I believe it's profoundly wrong: no one, neither Sim nor Real Life human, should ever feel bad about themselves just because they didn't go to university. There are a lot more ways to live one's life than that. In fact I think of higher education more as a special treat for the ultra-bright than as a hoop that everyone has to jump through. I thought of customising No Trash Memories to block just that memory and keep all the others, but fortunately I found a mod to block just that memory along with the related fear of not going to college. So, I have no use for No Trash Memories. I know a lot of the things that Sims remember are quite trivial. but surely that's true of our own memories too! My own earliest memory is of being sick in my pram! It was the colour of tomato soup.

In a discussion on the matter with BoilingOil here a little while ago, he said I really didn't need No Trash Memories (or even the full version of No Sim Loaded) in a small 'hood; it's more necessary in a large 'hood with lots of Sims with lots of memories. The trouble is I'm not sure that our Veronaville is really a small 'hood. It has 3 sub-hoods and a total of nearly 400 Sims. 93 of these are playables in some 31 households, 97 are townies and 93 are NPCs. Most of the rest are dead ancestors, and since it's a Maxis 'hood, most of these are unlinked. (Plus I deleted -- and unlinked -- 2 Sims myself in my earlier days!) And I've been playing it for over 5 years. But so far there are no serious signs of corruption: no missing Sims or toddlers wanting to woohoo. I take (and keep) very frequent backups, so I'll go on playing it as long as I possibly can. I hope, if it ever becomes unplayable, I can keep going from a recent backup. If not, I suppose I'd have to consider a rebuild the way that gummilutt did, but with over 5 years play, and the number of Sims I have, that's a pretty daunting prospect, especially considering that many of my townies (and a few NPCs) are nearly as important as my Playables.

However, apart from occasionally (and a little reluctantly) clearing out gossip with the batbox, I'll leave my Sims' valid memories alone. They're just too important to my understanding of them! (And possibly their understanding of themselves?)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 1:49 AM
Occasionally Sims can also get memories of becoming best friends with a door or weird glitches like that.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 2:20 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 20th Jan 2018 at 2:30 AM.
I think that counts as an invalid memory too!

P.S. I might have known it would be gazania! Why do these things happen to her?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 2:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Occasionally Sims can also get memories of becoming best friends with a door or weird glitches like that.

Is this the sort of thing HoodChecker can sort out?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 3:48 AM
Oh, now it is clear. I remember seeing a gnome in a death memory. Accurate.

Well, memories are in fact very important to me. They tell stories, and I if there is something I love more than stories then it must be TS2, cold beer, and then there is nothing. I do disagree with Pescado in this matter, but BO is far more comprehensive, and knows that what he considers trash is not thrash for everyone. So, I downloaded that specific mod, which is clearly explained in case you want to modify something, and I do not regret nothing. I got rid of met memories of course, only because I mostly use payables and I hate seeing plenty of met x sim memories one after the other after they go to community lots while out of my control. I do not know, I find it useless and irrelevant that my sims remember greeting someone they will never talk to again. However, there are certain people I would like for them to remember, like their first lover, a cousin they saw for the first time in adolescence, their closest friend... But the rest...

In my game, there are very few close relationships, and over %75 of them are just acquaintances with 2 points of LTR and 7 of STR. That is how my life is, at the very least. Meeting someone is a fleeting moment, you cannot remember all of them if they did not impact your course of life in a way.

Needless to add, we are all allowed to disagree.

BUT BURNT FOOD MEMORIES ARE TRASH DAMMIT AND NO ONE FIGHT ME ON THIS (?)
Scholar
#11 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister

Hey, I remember that thread! I remember sitting there and laughing so hard at all of the door puns.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 5:51 AM
@AndrewGloria - I so agree with you. I am just back from a long visit to my grandchild (well, the parents too). Looking at my son-in-law, I remember first seeing him arriving at our house with a group of my daughter's friends. He had black emo hair, smelled of pot and wore pink jeans. I saw him falling heads over heels for my daughter and thought - Boy, you're kind of cute, but you will have to clean up your act if you want her to look at you. (He did. She said yes to a date 2 years later. He now has long hair and plays in a rock band, but he has cleaned up his act )

Memories are very important and I am getting rid of the mods. I will edit them by hand if needed

Burnt food memories are only trash if you don't do something interesting after that (get pizza )
Mad Poster
#13 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 8:24 AM
I have to say I remember if I burned dinner (and I have XD).

I've been meaning to get the no bad college memory, but I do have one sim that I specifically want to have the memory for a story.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 4:27 PM
Is an invalidate memory the same as a corrupt one? I ask this because of the batbox option memories» wipe corrupt. I always use it, but never noticed what it does since it is only available in pre-made households and I just cannot tell which 'objects were removed'.
Instructor
#15 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 6:44 PM
I like The Sims 2 memories system, it's the best. I once had an elder Sim and looked up at his memories, what he had done, who he had met and who he had made friends, best friends and bff with. So much for the warm feeling.

The Sims 3 memories just bloated my save game, it's one of the things I disabled it.

The Sims 4 memories are meh, basically screenshots with stupid emotions.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 10:48 PM
One reason that there are so many mods to get rid of "met sim" memories is that when TS2 was originally released, there was a very low cap on the number of memories a sim could have - just like there was a low cap on the number of sims that could be in one neighborhood. When a sim exceeded that number of memories, the dreaded "jump bug" would appear anytime that sim tried to do anything that would generate a new memory (like meet someone new). Since it's very easy to accumulate a LOT of "met sim" memories, blocking them was a sensible safety feature.

Some later edition of the game (I forget which EP it was) raised the limit for both population and memories to (I think) 32767. I still block the "met sim" memories though. There are so many of them and they don't really add anything to my gameplay. I'd much rather see the important ones (birth, marriage, fulfilled LTW, etc.).
Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Actually, the memory issue was addressed in the patch made for the base game whereas I think the 1,000 (or so) character limit was left alone. or, if it was actually fixed, then it wasn't mentioned in the notes.

"Fixes "the jump bug" causing Sims with a large number of memories to reset, or "jump," when performing interactions."

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...e_CD_Patch_Note

I just knew that eventually both problems did get fixed. I couldn't remember when or in what patch. Thanks for clearing that up.