Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#26 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 5:39 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 3rd Jul 2012 at 7:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by mokbokox
..ok im having a big problem right now. editing or trying to edit the sims 1 skins right now, trying to get big breast augmentation and all that by introducing my own skins because im not at all pleased with the limited body and hair shapes they offer in sims so i download gimp in an attempt to make modified skins like those-

sighhhhhhhhhhhh... i hated media class in high school. programs like this looked fun for editing things but teachers could never explain what all the weird functions meant.
how on earth do i use this to make skins with all kinds of shaped hair-heads chest sizes and skin editing because im having a nightmare of a time trying to place a skin in gimp and modify it using the tools, but i know this is a way to. pllease i really want to get to this badly, help plz.

Are you talking about Sims 1, 2, or 3? Sims 2 is the only one I know of that can link a skin to a body shape.

In any case, what you're trying to do has nothing to do with this tutorial. You need to post in the appropriate Create forum.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#27 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 9:09 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 3rd Jul 2012 at 7:50 AM.
sims 1
and how is it not?..
you show a picture in a post of a skin and your adding hair to it on gimp, which is what i want to do minus the hair thing. i have no idea where the other forum is. other people have made a full fledged naruto skin for sims 1. naruto. how. how. how?
is gimp a program able to make 'gameable' skins?
you have to know that by now ive posted on many forums.
everyone stays silent at this but i know they know the know.
thats why i came here.

should also mention that i havent been able to find the fabled body warp program yet. sites say they have it but ive only got loops so far leading to naught.

This tutorial is for making body hair ONLY, which in Sims 3 is a separate overlay to the sim skin. The skin is used only as a background to position the hair. It says at the beginning of the tutorial that it will not teach you how to use GIMP or do texturing. It is also for Sims 3, not Sims 1, and they are totally different so I don't have a clue how to do what you want and am not even sure what you're talking about. I'm not aware of any active modding communities for Sims 1 but you can Google it.
Test Subject
#28 Old 2nd Jul 2012 at 9:57 PM
''am not even sure what you're talking about''

..no. you do. your just saying whatever comes to mind. sorry i asked for help from.. well not anything alive.
oh and google. wow.. didnt think of that onel0l.
enjoy the stick end of 2012 and a happy halloween to you .
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#29 Old 3rd Jul 2012 at 12:11 PM
mokbokox, we don't have a Sims 1 modding section on this site, so you'll have to ask your questions elsewhere.

Please try to be polite in your replies, CmarNYC was perfectly civil to you and did not deserve your reply.
Scholar
#30 Old 16th Jul 2012 at 2:21 AM
CmarNYC,
thanks for the great Tutorial, I use photoshop so I didn't follow yours here although in concept it is not that different.
However I got a problem where my created hair looks very fine in CAS but then turn blotchy when going back into game, the most white of the alpha channel showing while the subtle edges totally dissappear/ not showing unlike in CAS, but when I zoom into the sim untill it goes semi transparent when the camera starts being to close, there my hair layer shows properly in full detail again, yet when I zoom out, it turns bad again.

I have tried DXT5, even 8.8.8.8 RGBA with huge file size but it doesn't solve the issue,

Do you know a tip to work around this?
I have all details set to high in TS3 option
thanks
navetsea

The rest of my skins can be found in my blog
http://navetsea.blogspot.com
Sockpuppet
#31 Old 16th Jul 2012 at 10:48 AM
Hi Nav
It is related to the alphamaskthreshold i think.
With objects you can play with these settings, setting it higher makes it more crispy while lower gives you a smoother alpha channel but tends to dissapear when zooming out..
Might be the other way arround tho :P

I haven't tested this with CASp tho as clothing doesn't have that material setting, i dont know about hair.
But, in TSRW's meshtab you can open the materials and add the line alphamaskthreshold.
Set it low(30 or 40) to begin with, with a bit of luck this might improve the transparancy of the alpha channel.(value=0-200)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#32 Old 16th Jul 2012 at 2:29 PM
This is why I never uploaded the set of light body hair I spent weeks working on some time ago. No, light or detailed hair just seems to do this and I have no clue how to fix it. The EA hair does the same thing - maybe that's why most of it is so crudely drawn. Seems to be a rendering thing in the game. However, your noticing that the quality appears high like in CAS when zoomed very close is interesting. I'm going to take another look, maybe compare to the way accessories are constructed - possibly there's a setting or something that can be tweaked.

Bloom, I tried your suggestion but it made no difference. I didn't really think it would since that's a mesh setting and the body hairs don't have meshes.
Scholar
#33 Old 16th Jul 2012 at 11:29 PM
Hi Bloom it's been awhile
Hi CmarNYC

thanks for the replies
BTW since it shows detail when super close and get ugly when on distance, I tried to play around with mipmap filter setting, disable gamma correction, etc that I thought might play part of it, still no improvement so far.
next I'm going to try 2048x2048 or 4096x4096 and see if the game can auto resize higher resolution or not,
if it can, then I will try to use solid brushes to shape the individual hairs and solid alpha, without relying much on semi transparency soft edges that can't be handled well in game.

The rest of my skins can be found in my blog
http://navetsea.blogspot.com
Test Subject
#34 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 1:26 AM
I do not know :D
HI I am a fan of yours , I have a question for you as you make them look so realistic body hair? I have a hp laptop windows 7 and when I put body hair in the sims 3 hair gets fuzzy and not yours it was very realistic.
you help me please? idk if it is the graphics card or something else. :D
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#35 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 3:38 AM
Body hair just isn't rendered very well in the game. I've found it only looks good if it's fairly heavy with fairly sharp edges. It's not easy to do.
Test Subject
#36 Old 18th Dec 2012 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
For curly hair I used several of Nagel's Photoshop brushes from series 12, 19, 21, 36, and 43 - GIMP can use them. The complete set is here: http://um3d.dc.umich.edu/lounge/showthread.php?tid=58

For straighter hair I'm experimenting with making my own brushes, with mixed results so far. Here's a good tutorial: http://emptyeasel.com/2008/10/03/gi...rushes-in-gimp/

I know this was a while back, but where do I put these so I can use them?
Forum Resident
#37 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 4:47 PM
Very sorry to bump such an old post. What I want to do is create default replacements of all the body hair in the game, including the expanded set for supernatural. If someone has already done this (I know about the set by Nukael which does not include the supernatural hair) I could easily replace the textures. If not, I'll need to figure out how to extract it from the game. I know I could create a custom package, but I'd really like a default replacement set.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#38 Old 27th Dec 2013 at 1:38 PM
IMO tutorials are always open for new comments unless they become hopelessly outdated.

The base game body hair textures are in The Sims 3 / GameData / Shared / Packages / DeltaBuild2.package. The names all start with amBhair. The Supernatural textures are in The Sims 3 Supernatural / GameData / Shared / Packages / FullBuild_p15.package and also start with amBhair.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Forum Resident
#39 Old 27th Dec 2013 at 6:01 PM Last edited by jmtmom : 27th Dec 2013 at 8:46 PM.
IMO tutorials are always open for new comments unless they become hopelessly outdated.

The base game body hair textures are in The Sims 3 / GameData / Shared / Packages / DeltaBuild2.package. The names all start with amBhair. The Supernatural textures are in The Sims 3 Supernatural / GameData / Shared / Packages / FullBuild_p15.package and also start with amBhair.

Thanks so much Cmar! Now I know where to start. I may have a few more questions as I've never created a default replacement package from start, always piggy-backed on someone else's. I haven't posted anything at MTS in years, I guess I'll have to post it here if I'm successful. Like a zombie rising from the dead.

ETA:

Now this wouldn't be as simple as creating a package of these textures and swapping them out would it? I've already exported everything from s3pe...I'll give it a whirl and see.

I found several images like this (I just exported everything that was amBhair):

In Nukael's replacement, these were not included. Is there anything I need to do with these images? The other images made perfect sense and I understand how to work with them. Can I leave these alone?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#40 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 3:38 AM
I really don't know what role, if any, those images play. I don't include them in making hairs with Hairinator and they appear to be all the same. My feeling is that it's safe to ignore them.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
#41 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 8:43 PM
I've learnt some nifty stuff; thanks very much. One question - is there a way I can add thumbnails to the body hair?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#42 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Beenbo1015
I've learnt some nifty stuff; thanks very much. One question - is there a way I can add thumbnails to the body hair?

Absolutely. Thumbnails should be 128x128 png images. Add the thumb to your package with the Type ID 0x626F60CD, Group ID 0x00000007, and the same Instance ID as the CASP.

How to add to the package step by step:

Open the package in s3pe. Make sure Names and Tags are checked in the bottom part of the S3PE window.
Find and double-click the CASP. Copy the Instance.
Click the Resource menu, Import, From file.
For Type, select THUM 0x626F60CD
For Group, enter 0x00000007
For Instance, paste the Instance of the CASP
Click okay to add the thumbnail, save, exit

If you've already run the game with the hair, you'll have to delete Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails\CASThumbnails.package to make the game use your custom thumb instead of the one it generated.

When/if I get around to making a new version of Hairinator, I'll add the ability to import a thumbnail in the program.

Test Subject
#43 Old 30th Dec 2013 at 9:38 PM
Absolutely. Thumbnails should be 128x128 png images. Add the thumb to your package with the Type ID 0x626F60CD, Group ID 0x00000007, and the same Instance ID as the CASP.

How to add to the package step by step:

Open the package in s3pe. Make sure Names and Tags are checked in the bottom part of the S3PE window.
Find and double-click the CASP. Copy the Instance.
Click the Resource menu, Import, From file.
For Type, select THUM 0x626F60CD
For Group, enter 0x00000007
For Instance, paste the Instance of the CASP
Click okay to add the thumbnail, save, exit

If you've already run the game with the hair, you'll have to delete Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Thumbnails\CASThumbnails.package to make the game use your custom thumb instead of the one it generated.

When/if I get around to making a new version of Hairinator, I'll add the ability to import a thumbnail in the program.

Thank you, I've needed this so badly and I've tried like 400000 different methods. I'm currently creating a pack for male sims that goes down "south" if you get what I mean. Thanks!
Test Subject
#44 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 5:10 AM
Where do I find the location of the skin texture files?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#45 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 5:24 AM
The files are in FullBuild2.package, or you can download them from the tutorial post.

Test Subject
#46 Old 14th Aug 2016 at 2:43 AM
Hi, sorry to post on such an old thread but the tutorial images are gone

I don't suppose you have them backed up somewhere?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#47 Old 14th Aug 2016 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by UsernameNotAvailable
Hi, sorry to post on such an old thread but the tutorial images are gone

I don't suppose you have them backed up somewhere?

Web archive seems to have the images, if that's what you needed? : http://web.archive.org/web/20151008...t=&page=1&pp=25
Page 2 of 2