Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Maquell
I still don't quite completely understand the hate with SecuRom? I hate all forms of DRM just because of the principle, but why is SecuRom specifically targeted? My understanding is it is invasive and acts/acted like a rootkit?

Oh I don't either. I bought my games so long ago, that this is not something I must deal with. but since I got 2 EP's for just a 1$, and that I thought I could give them away to a simmer who do not have them yet..I wanted to know if my gift would include Securom, or not.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 9:54 AM Last edited by gazania : 5th Mar 2017 at 6:06 PM. Reason: Wrong program. Sorry.
Quote: Originally posted by Maquell
I still don't quite completely understand the hate with SecuRom? I hate all forms of DRM just because of the principle, but why is SecuRom specifically targeted? My understanding is it is invasive and acts/acted like a rootkit?

Yup, and as a result:

1. It could mess up legitimate programs on your computer if it deemed them bad. I was one of those who found I couldn't burn CDs when it decided my Roxio software was the enemy.
2. There was no warning it could do this. My husband inadvertently got it in one of his game's updates. One second we were clean; one second we couldn't burn CDs. Later, our techie did find another program we could use, so that was good. Fortunately for us, Securom apparently didn't know about it.
3. It was a real pain to remove for a little while, and even if you uninstalled the game, it was still there. It didn't uninstall as well. Thankfully, people did come up with a method to get rid of the pest.
4. The initial response of certain people at EA was that of course, you were a dirty pirate if your machine acted up. It was YOUR fault. Only when many people complained did they soften their stances. Certain formely-loyal customers felt that if EA thought they were pirates, they might as well act the part!
5. From what I read, this was more of an annoyance, but from time to time, people with legitimate games would get an error message when trying to launch the game. I think it was "Please insert original disc instead of backup (1000)" or something like that. Some people would get it more often than others. So even if you had a legitimate game, Securom could insist you didn't!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 11:05 AM
Real pirates would have figured out how to remove it from their pirated copies. Thus the only ones who suffer are the people who legitimately bought it.
Page 2 of 2