Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6776 Old 28th May 2018 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ive
Wow when did this place become MATY

Screenshots
Advertisement
Theorist
#6777 Old 28th May 2018 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

The bunny! :lovestruc
Instructor
#6778 Old 28th May 2018 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DeservedCriticism
Then don't make it about my ego.

Nor did I ever call them stupid. I called the act itself stupid. There is a difference.
Stupid is what you call people you have no respect for, and if I had no respect, I don't think I'd be asking them to voice their opinions or have a discussion on the topic since I probably wouldn't care what they have to say.

Comprehension like common sense isn't something that comes easily

in junior high, I had to take special classes because I had issues with comprehending what I read so this is something I personally understand

That being said

People are more prone to reading between the lines than actually comprehending what was said

The act of stupidity does no equate stupidity

LET ME REPEAT THAT IN BOLD: THE ACT OF STUPIDITY DOES NOT EQUATE STUPIDITY

There are no grey areas in that

We all make stupid decisions

that's how we learn

Some people learn from it

Some people continue to make stupid decisions

By no means does that make them a stupid person

I can honestly admit It was stupid of me to blindly purchase more packs for a game I was not enjoying and to continue to blindly purchase hoping somehow more packs meant I would enjoy it.

I have since learned from my mistake and before making said mistake again I will think about my actions first.

(I have separated each sentence so sentences could be easily distinguished and understood.)

(This is not to be taken as an insult.)

(I just figured it would be easier to get what I'm saying)

Let me also add that the act of stupidity is sometimes a matter of personal opinion.

Not everyone will see an act of stupidity the same way

It's like the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Mad Poster
#6779 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:04 PM
People can choose to preorder or not, and that is their decision. I have never done preorders as I have been from day one a hard copy person whenever possible, and have historically gone to Target or Frys or wherever on the days products were released for 1,2,3. The only disadvantage to preordering to me may be that you then do not get a sale price, if that is important to you. If I buy this EP I will wait for half off, as I said before. But for those who will purchase it at full price, whether they preorder or wait for release, as you say Gargoyle, you are spending the same money and so there is no big difference.

And as others have said, people do their finances/budgets differently. I have paid my mortgage or credit card payment before the due dates a few times when possible, (not often sadly), just to have them paid and that done. We all do things our own ways.
Field Researcher
#6780 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:10 PM
jackjack. Need I say more?

I hesitate to give her full credit though because as I said, let's be real: every. single. time. the Sims 4 is lacking a feature, the go-to defense is "oh they left it out cause it caused lag, thanks Sims team!!"

That and then “the sims 2/3 didn’t have this feature either or the sims 2/3 had less Of whatever is being compared”
Mad Poster
#6781 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
That and then “the sims 2/3 didn’t have this feature either or the sims 2/3 had less Of whatever is being compared”

regarding lag:

Guess this game engine is not all it is cracked up to be, per them! ROFL Yes, we know it cannot handle diddly squat.
Mad Poster
#6782 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
The bunny! :lovestruc

Only in My Second Petâ„¢ Stuff Pack

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Theorist
#6783 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Only in My Second Petâ„¢ Stuff Pack

Screw, EA. I have a real bunny.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
People can choose to preorder or not, and that is their decision. I have never done preorders as I have been from day one a hard copy person whenever possible, and have historically gone to Target or Frys or wherever on the days products were released for 1,2,3. The only disadvantage to preordering to me may be that you then do not get a sale price, if that is important to you. If I buy this EP I will wait for half off, as I said before. But for those who will purchase it at full price, whether they preorder or wait for release, as you say Gargoyle, you are spending the same money and so there is no big difference.

I'm trying to understand whether this is just a EA thing or if there is more to it. If I decide to spend money on something, whether I spend it now or 2 days from now, I'm still going to buy whatever that thing is. The advantage to waiting in the case of Seasons would be for review purposes. Let the Yibs or whoever do their thing and from there, people can decide whether they want it or not. Supposedly there is a live stream coming at some point, so people wouldn't even have to wait for Yibs, assuming the sims team keeps their word. People can make a decision much sooner rather than waiting for EA Play.

Meh!
Instructor
#6784 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ive
Wow when did this place become MATY

I've noticed some MATY people here and in the Official forum. It would be a pity if this site became as toxic as that as that will be the end of it. MATY appears to be moribund. Nobody will subscribe if continually told they are a Retard, fanboy, stupid will they?
Mad Poster
#6785 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:41 PM
Gargoyle Cat, I think you are right that some folks will get it no matter what. I will check the info. that comes out up to the release date and then make a final decision, and then probably will wait for a sale. I think Target had one EP at half off on release date. That was sweet! :D

I think many of us have been at MATY as Pes and Twallan have been/were the go to experts on Sims for quite some time. I remember when Pes did the tour guide fix in 2 for example way before EA did it. Between Awesome Mod or Master Controller, or whatever, these folks were essential to help many of us play our games as best as we could .

The atmosphere at MATY was shall we say problematic at times though IMO. I do not want to see that here either.
Test Subject
#6786 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:53 PM
Dude I could easily respond to you and say "it's none of your business if I vocally judge people for their poor decisions or not." You're not even making an argument here.

And for the record, there is a difference between calling a person stupid and calling an action or an opinion stupid. Everyone from you to me to Obama to Hitler makes stupid decisions and has stupid, misinformed opinions. That does not make us stupid by default, that merely means we should review that specific aspect of ourselves (the bad stance) and aim to improve. If I were making a mistake or if you felt I had a bad, misinformed stance on something, I'd want you to tell me so I have the opportunity to correct it. You seem to be of the opinion I should back off. I think we both want to aid, but in our own ways, and to be honest I'd probably agree with you if this were real life. It's not though; it's online, and I trust anyone can just log off or block me if they're truly sick of it.

Please tell me when in these past posts I singled out an individual and said they were stupid. At most I recall saying some people never learn and never reflect on if they could be wrong. I also said I view the "just opinions" argument as manipulative, though I should clarify I didn't mean those people are being consciously or intentionally manipulative, since I didn't make that very clear.

I do recall saying - multiple times - that the action or pre-ordering any Sims 4 pack with ZERO MOTIVATION and absolutely nothing to gain from it was Grade-A fucking retarded. Because it is. You are electing to give a greedy company your $40 after only having a 1-minute clip briefly previewing a product, where the preview itself is designed to make you want to buy. The alternative is you can....fukn wait? Get more information at zero risk whatsoever? Buy it 2 days before release and get the exact same experience as those that pre-ordered?

And I'll also say that having said that, absolutely there can be unwarranted animosity towards the fans. I'll be vague, but I remember seeing some fan from the official forums posted here, seemed to get people telling them they were unwelcome, and eventually got banned. I personally find that unfortunate. I'm not a fan of bans or bandwagons, I think everyone should just be able to speak, and through the discussion itself we can see who makes good points and who makes bad ones, and that itself will help all of us develop more refined outlooks on the situations at hand.

You'll note though that I'm not trying to discourage anyone from speaking. On the contrary, I want to hear you or anyone else tell me why pre-ordering virtual property is a fantastic idea. Instead you just discuss what an asshole I am. What am I to take from this...?

I've refrained from saying anything in response to you as many times as I could, but this needs to be said.

YES, you're entitled to your opinion, and YES, you've got the right to free speech, just like every other citizen of America. But you really need a lesson on holding your tongue when it's in asshole mode 'cuz quite honestly, it was YOUR comments that killed any joy I felt upon hearing the news that Seasons was going to be released. Didn't matter whether I'd thought about getting it and when I would, if I did, or not—YOUR comments on here and the OF suddenly made me wanna hurl my computer at a wall and turn into a total hermit.

At this point, I don't even read your comments, if I can help it. They're so full of negativity that I can't even get more than a sentence or two into most to read the point—good or bad—that you're trying to make without wanting to grab my sage and various negativity-absorbing crystals and stones. Find a way to be...well, I won't say diplomatic, but certainly less negative, and maybe people won't call you an asshole and swear you're trying to hijack a thread for your own ego anymore.

And maybe, just maybe, ya won't even have to make comments on people or situations being stupid since ya dunno SHIT beyond your own life circumstances that, intelligent, stupid, practical, or frivolous, would play into someone pre-ordering, waiting for the release, or even waiting for it to go on sale—IF they buy said pack AT ALL.
Top Secret Researcher
#6787 Old 28th May 2018 at 10:58 PM
I always hated the atmosphere at MATY.
Thank the sims gods for Twallan who is genuinely the nicest person I have come across in the community :lovestruc

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Instructor
#6788 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:14 PM Last edited by Mspigglypooh : 28th May 2018 at 11:28 PM.
(I deleted the quoted person because this can fit plenty of people in general)

If I can give any advice to ANYONE here it's: You shouldn't give power to someone else over how you feel about something you like despite them being "assholes" or not especially a stranger. If you genuinely love something no one should be able to spoil it for you despite what they have to say about it. My husband could careless about the sims he even says it's stupid and doesn't know why I bother to buy or play any of it. But I still play because I love the franchise. It's been in my life longer than he has lol. And even though he is my significant other and his opinions matter to me I don't let his opinions of the things I love change how I feel about what I love. So I'm definitely not going to let a stranger have that power over me. And my husband can be the biggest "asshole" I personally know but it's also a quality I like about him because he's always so Frank. I'd prefer him to be honest with me in the rawest way ever than to sugar coat it to spare my feelings. But I do realize not everyone can handle that, likes or appreciates those qualities. I guess that's why I have mad respect for DC. But at the end of the day if you disagree with him take what he says as a grain of salt and keep it pushing just remembered its nothing personal. You don't know him he doesn't know you and he's not singling anyone out here. If you love the game keep playing what you love and keep buying what you love. I personally may not love the Sims 4 but I have started playing it again choosing to look at it for what it is and from a different perspective and am liking it for what it is to me. And no one is going to change how I feel about it only I can change that.

Edited to add:

I've seen that a lot lately. People saying those who criticize the game kill it for them. How weak minded does that sound? I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything but I'm just being real here. It's very weak minded to let someone who has a different opinion than you influence you to feel that way about something you love. NO ONE! And I mean NO ONE should be able to rain on your parade with what you love. Do you think anyone can change my mind about the sims 2? Hell no I love that damn game and I could careless if someone says it's old, outdated and the graphics suck blah blah blah lol HOWEVER I can also acknowledge the issues with the Sims 2. It's not perfect. But I still love it flaws and all. So why are so many people so worried about what others have to say about something they love. That's what's wrong with the world today. Everyone wants everyone to agree with them and accept them. If you love and accept yourself no one should be able to tell you shit. 🤷
Top Secret Researcher
#6789 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:20 PM
To be honest, people should also learn to ignore certain levels of "negativity" if it really bothers them. The dud does have a right of free speech, but then again, if he sees that he's getting no response, no feedback to the negativity, then, he will have no opportunity to spread negativity any further, and will possibly just leave.

I mean, that's how it works.

Also, Deserved Criticism, you should have learned that your criticism of people won't help much (actually won't help EVER), since there is so much people in the world and even more opinions that you would be crazy and possibly a dictator if you were set out to change all of them to fit your own world view.

Yes it's true, preordering is somewhat objectively bad practice in gaming industry and has only short-term positive effects from most of the buyers (players), but it's so common amongst gamers (buyers) nowadays that really, your rants won't help it even a zilionth part of percent. You can rant, but don't atack.
And you DO have a right to attack, but then be prepared to suffer the consequences.
Mad Poster
#6790 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh

If I can give any advice to ANYONE here it's: You shouldn't give power to someone else over how you feel about something you like despite them being "assholes" or not especially a stranger. If you genuinely love something no one should be able to spoil it for you despite what they have to say about it. My husband could careless about the sims he even says it's stupid and doesn't know why I bother to buy or play any of it. But I still play because I love the franchise. It's been in my life longer than he has lol. And even though he is my significant other and his opinions matter to me I don't let his opinions of the things I love change how I feel about what I love. So I'm definitely not going to let a stranger have that power over me. And my husband can be the biggest "asshole" I personally know but it's also a quality I like about him because he's always so Frank. I'd prefer him to be honest with me in the rawest way ever than to sugar coat it to spare my feelings. But I do realize not everyone can handle that, likes or appreciates those qualities. I guess that's why I have mad respect for DC. But at the end of the day if you disagree with him take what he says as a grain of salt and keep it pushing just remembered its nothing personal. You don't know him he doesn't know you and he's not singling anyone out here. If you love the game keep playing what you love and keep buying what you love. I personally may not love the Sims 4 but I have started playing it again choosing to look at it for what it is and from a different perspective and am liking it for what it is to me. And no one is going to change how I feel about it only I can change that.

Edited to add:

I've seen that a lot lately. People saying those who criticize the game kill it for them. How weak minded does that sound? I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything but I'm just being real here. It's very weak minded to let someone who has a different opinion than you influence you to feel that way about something you love. NO ONE! And I mean NO ONE should be able to rain on your parade with what you love. Do you think anyone can change my mind about the sims 2? Hell no I love that damn game and I could careless if someone says it's old, outdated and the graphics suck blah blah blah lol HOWEVER I can also acknowledge the issues with the Sims 2. It's not perfect. But I still love it flaws and all. So why are so many people so worried about what others have to say about something they love. That's what's wrong with the world today. Everyone wants everyone to agree with them and accept them. If you love and accept yourself no one should be able to tell you shit. 🤷

Preach that.

Mad Poster
#6791 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:45 PM Last edited by daisylee : 28th May 2018 at 11:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Also, Deserved Criticism, you should have learned that your criticism of people won't help much (actually won't help EVER) ...

Yes it's true, preordering is somewhat objectively bad practice in gaming industry and has only short-term positive effects from most of the buyers (players), but it's so common amongst gamers (buyers) nowadays that really, your rants won't help it even a zilionth part of percent. You can rant, but don't atack.
And you DO have a right to attack, but then be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Attacks never serve anyone well. And what amazes me is that someone spends so much time/energy/passion over a hatred of preorders, for example. It must be nice to have a life where time is not better spent/needed being concerned about health, finances, work/school, family, relationships, friends, housing, whatever, and a top concern is how other people purchase computer games. Sure must be great. I think 99% of us really do not care how others will purchase this EP. Most of us have other real sh#t to deal with in our lives that is far more important than this. We envy those who are not in this position.
Theorist
#6792 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:48 PM

Edited to add:

Many moons ago I had a group of TS4 players tell me that if I didn't buy the game, it would be my fault that it failed. This was before Grant's moment in the sunshine with his statements. I lost all respect for those people and refuse to deal with them. None of them volunteered to be our source of income, so who the fuck were they to tell me what to buy, then attempt a guilt trip if I didn't play along? Crap like that goes over as well as a fart in a spacesuit.

I've heard every nasty thing people can think of when it comes to TS3. I didn't make the game, nor did I have any say in it. People need to place the blame where it belongs.
Instructor
#6793 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:53 PM

Edited to add:

You are very lucky if that is your personality.
The problem is that lots of people these days do have low self esteem and playing The Sims is a way of escaping and going into their own world. Going into a forum, hoping to find like minds and instead finding every thread permeated with negativity does get depressing after a while. The OF has an ignore function. Is there one here?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6794 Old 28th May 2018 at 11:58 PM
There is. Click a user to see their profile and choose "Add to your Ignore List" there.
#6795 Old 29th May 2018 at 12:07 AM Last edited by Don Babilon : 29th May 2018 at 12:43 AM.
(...)

I've seen that a lot lately. People saying those who criticize the game kill it for them. (...)
Oh, are we back at that stage again? We had this here before, about 4 years ago or so, when some 100 members left this section and withdrew into the Social Groups section only to eventually leave the forum completely to have their own. These people were told that they killed the enjoyment for others by criticising TS4.
Apparently this didn't help much as it seems that criticism has this nasty habit of constantly coming back unasked for and now from other people. Strange. I wonder why

Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
I've noticed some MATY people here and in the Official forum. It would be a pity if this site became as toxic as that as that will be the end of it. MATY appears to be moribund. Nobody will subscribe if continually told they are a Retard, fanboy, stupid will they?
There has always been a strong overlap between MATY and MTS here, I suppose since both places started back in the TS2 days. Many MATYzens are MTS creators and vice versa.
Some members keep their names for both, some have discrete names. So, I wouldn't think too much of it. MATY has its rules and own culture and is largely for show, and MTS has its own, too. People usually are able to separate. And I rather think it is "moribund" because no one there is really interested in TS4 and largely opposed to Origin in the first place.

Twallan, btw, began his "career" at MATY, too.

ETA: Come to think of it, I became a member at MATY in June 2009, and I asked a lot of questions there, requested features or reported bugs. And I've never been told that I was stupid or a moron or whatever. The only one who tried was banned shortly after that for being an ass (as in donkey).
Theorist
#6796 Old 29th May 2018 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Oh, are we back at that stage again? We had this here before, about 4 years ago or so, when some 100 members left this section and withdrew into the Social Groups section only to eventually leave the forum completely to have their own. These people were told that they killed the enjoyment for others by criticising TS4.
Apparently this didn't help much as it seems that criticism has this nasty habit of constantly coming back unasked for and now from other people. Strange. I wonder why

I don't think it ever really left, but since you're more diplomatic than I am, I'll go with your thoughts in the matter.
Mad Poster
#6797 Old 29th May 2018 at 12:24 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 29th May 2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: mud? lol meant mutt
It is entirely possible it's a life state, it's also entirely possible it's a temporary lifestate that'll disappoint, but look promising in trailers.

Ask yourself what kind of lifestate it could be, and there's three that come to mind for me: Superhero, Elementalist (controls weather) or Witch. All three have the issue of being limited to weather-based powers in this context. Witches without alchemy feel weird, Superheroes without a sort of fight mechanic (good vs. evil) feel half-assed, and elementalist is the only one that feels possible, though it still sounds limited. I mean what would it do besides use the weather to be a dick to people? The best life states are ones like witches, werewolves, vampires and aliens, since those have had unique powers, abilities or life mechanics in the past. Lifestates like mermaids or Imaginary Friends felt limited by comparison because there was very very little differentiating them from normal Sims.

Also, betting now that "make your own holidays" is basically the clubs interface, except it organizes what people do on X day of X season.

I beg to disagree about werewolves. They acted more than a mutt than anything. Than again, haven't really played them but they don't seem to have much deoth other than for hunting collectables. I would however put Genies it is in spot, because they seem on pair with Genies, and maybe even Fairies. And Plumbots. The Rest - boring.

(Yez, I know - I dug up an oldy reply).

#6798 Old 29th May 2018 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I don't think it ever really left, but since you're more diplomatic than I am, I'll go with your thoughts in the matter.
I can't be the game's fault, can it? It must be the people here. Nasty by nature, so-to-speak.
Mad Poster
#6799 Old 29th May 2018 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
I can't be the game's fault, can it? It must be the people here. Nasty by nature, so-to-speak.

I think generally the folks here are articulate, civil, and reasonable in most posts. But as everywhere there are a few bad apples that come and go, or at least folks that act like that at times, and that probably includes me at times. We are all very passionate about this game. I do not have the anger that some folks have, but the frustrations and disappointments many of us do. Discussions are fine, but when the attacks and belittling and bullying start, that is when people want to leave. IMO folks need to leave that at the door before they post. We are here for Sims talk with other Simmers, not battles.
#6800 Old 29th May 2018 at 12:50 AM
Well, to be honest, I think that TS4 is the biggest pile of poo to ever come out of Maxis' behind, I wish that it never happened; I was running bets on how quickly it would die and am angry that I lost all my imaginary gambling money because it still exists. I am one of those haters and I simply come here to re-fuel my artificial outrage and find consolation in the fact that apparently not very much has changed since we left; the issues being the same that they were 4 years ago.
Locked thread
Page 272 of 447