Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 10:10 PM
Default clothing: how do I change the general shape and outline?!
Foremost, I'd like to state that I do know my way around the computer. If I didn't, I don't think I would attempt meshing

Anyways, i'm encountered a bit of an issue. I don't know how to exactly edit the alpha texture of a dress i'm making. I want to change the shape of the neckline, among other things. I don't have photoshop, I have paint shop pro x. Here's what i'm doing:

I open everything up in CTU, and I select designs->textures. I highlight the base texture, and export. I'm clueless from this point.

I really didn't want to burden anyone with a probably painstakingly simple concept. But i've been at this all morning, and I have no clue as to what to do. If someone could point me in the right direction as to how to do what i'm asking, or shoot me a link to a program I can use to accomplish this, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Pook <3
Advertisement
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 1:28 AM
If you are trying to make edits on the texture (not on the mesh), then I think it's a wrong category. There is CAS parts section for that.
Anyway, you will need a graphics editor which has channels. You always can use Gimp (free) for that. Also you will need to install DDS plugins (google it).
Then goes the fun part, just import your textures and make edits in the Alpha channel in Channels tab. Then of course you will need to save it as DXT3 format and import back in to CTU. That's pretty much it.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 3:21 AM
Sorry about the wrong catagory, I thought that this would go under meshing, since it dealt with the structure of the final design. Sorry feel free to move this post.

anyways, I might as well ask you what's going on with this:

I deleted the area I wanted to delete, theoretically. It's messy, but i'm just trying to learn the concepts here. How do I get rid of the top part that I don't like?

Thanks a bunch!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 3:26 AM
Default Texture and Alpha Issues with this mesh...
i'll just get right down to it.

I have NO idea what i'm doing anymore. I've sat at this computer for three (3) days now trying to figure all of this meshing, texturing, yadda yadda jargon out. I've done okay, but i'd like to change the shape of the texture. I also posted this in another forum, but it was the wrong catagory. Sorry!

I'm no idiot, I know you have to edit the alpha layer or file. I did just that, but I get this as a product:

wtfrenchtoast, guys. I don't know how to get rid of that greyish part at the top that seems transleucent. 0_0

btw: thats a work in progress. Not meant to be pretty -_-

thanks a bunchhhhh
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 8:06 AM
It looks like you've got some grey on the alpha there, instead of pure black and white.

Also, have you edited that mesh? There are normals seams at the shoulders.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 11:25 AM
From your screenshot I'm guessing that you didn't edit all textures. You need to edit all of them to match each other: control mask, specular and bump map. The easier way is to make them from your edited texture and replace the existing ones.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 3:47 PM
I've merged these two threads, just to keep the place tidy.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 5:15 PM
Also the overlay is active i think but wont cause the transparancy.
I do think the outfit has originally very short sleeves and those are still visible?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 11:12 PM
@whiterider--thanks. that's your job, duh

@bloomsbase: well, you see, I was following a tutorial off youtube, since i'm a complete n00b at this. Do you think you could point me in the direction of a really good tutorial? There are just so many, and I think you have a better understanding of what i'm trying to achieve... o.o

@elexis--did that. didn't work. i'm beginning to think this tutorial that I followed is a load of crap!
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 1st Oct 2011 at 11:32 PM
Its definatly related to a alpha layer on one of the textures, that i am sure of.
First make sure the overlay doesn't interfear, it is a texture file used to bring in some high detail after your multiplier is done.(base texture)
So make the overlay a blanc texture(with black alpha layer) and then focus on the multiplier.

Export the multiplier from the package and import it back in paintshop Pro.
Check its alpha layer.

You have DDS plugins installed for paint shop Pro?

You can inspect the layers in CTU when viewing the texture file, shouldn't be that hard to find the cause.
It has the option to only view the alpha layer.