Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 10:28 PM
Two more questions:
1. Since my career is piggy backing off of another, how do I remove the custom clothing that has been attached to that career, and let the sims go to work in whatever they feel like wearing?

2. Can I kill my sims through their jobs (i.e. if s/he was a construction worker, and a chance card popped up saying that a beam fell on him as a "bad result") by instantly lowering their motives from picking an undesired chance card?

Many thank yous .

Biggest wishes for TS3:
Wider variety of harvestables and crops from TS1 & TS2 returning to the game
Wider variety of foods
More gems/metals/rocks/ore
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 7:57 AM
1- Go to Clothes GUID and change everything to 0x0000

2- You can't do that, but you can make a level of the career that almost kills your sim.

I'm going to stop modding the sims 2.
Test Subject
#78 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 1:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pdrs
2- You can't do that, but you can make a level of the career that almost kills your sim.

I don't really think so, Pdrs, as the most that the game can do is lower only the Fun and Social needs really really low (till red) when your Sims get fired/demoted, the rest would remain as "normal" if you get what I mean.
Test Subject
#79 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:03 PM
i made a tomb raider career it can be found here
please DL and leave a comment.
i also have a question. I followed the tut very carefully and when my sims get a promotion instead of it showing the description of the job they are being promoted to it shows the description of the job they are getting promoted from. it's minor but it can be irritating ( i dont know how to fix this )
Field Researcher
#80 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vangaza
I don't really think so, Pdrs, as the most that the game can do is lower only the Fun and Social needs really really low (till red) when your Sims get fired/demoted, the rest would remain as "normal" if you get what I mean.

Vangaza you may put delta hunger and the others negative, in behavior constant - delta (ex.:hunger): -1000

I'm going to stop modding the sims 2.
Test Subject
#81 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 3:59 AM
Oh, that one only lower the needs of the Sims every time they come back from work. The motive delta doesn't affect any chance card choices (at least when my Sims are fired when they picked the wrong choice, the Fun and Social are in the red).

You can set the comfort delta to -1000 and the Sim will always come back with red comfort, but it will always be like that every time, whether there is a chance card or not.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#82 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 2:36 PM
No, you cannot kill a sim at work. Like vangaza has correctly said, altering the need drop BCON's will drop a sim's needs, regardless of what cards appear.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Test Subject
#83 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 4:48 PM
Do you have to put the descriptions twice for the same gender?

Quote: but basically it goes
male 1 title
male 1 description
male 2 title
male 2 description … through to ten and then the same with female!

and do you have to do male and female, and if i dont do i just put in the same for both?
Test Subject
#84 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 2:04 AM
Yes you have to. You don't have to give unique descriptions to both genders. Basically what I do is copy descriptions of male and paste them into the female's. Then I just change the masculine forms of words into feminine forms, e.g. he --> she, actor --> actress etc.
Test Subject
#85 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 10:40 AM
When i try to open the career template in SimPE it comes up with "Arithmetic Operation Resulted In An Overflow!" Any one know what this means and how to solve it?
Mad Poster
#86 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 10:42 PM
Does this template cover teen and elder careers too?
Test Subject
#87 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 9:05 AM
I am new to making careers also.

I have been following the tutorial (and Superfly's tutorial on GUIDs) and it all seemed to work but my job won't show up in the game. I've only got as far as the job titles and chance card text but it won't show. (I only have room for 9 chance cards in your template - should I have ten?)

What am I doing wrong?

Also can you make the chance cards to have both choices positive, ie. good and better rather than good and bad?

They have been good tutorials other wise, the pictures really help.
Thanks
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 10:20 PM Last edited by Swjosdotschka : 21st Nov 2006 at 11:17 PM.
errrm... that might be a silly question, but how can I tell where the male and the female section is, with the new SimPE?

Great Tutorial! Thanks!

Edit: I have another problem. The career won't show up in the game. I don't know if that is the reason, BUT: the file is signed as a DBPF file, but does not have the typical SimPE icon.

The file is also only 67 KB small. Okay, I did not do chance cards yet and I did not do the female version, as I don't know how to do so. I just wanted to test it in that early stage to see, if all my hard work is working (looong job descriptions).

Is this all because I clicked "default" when I changed the language to german? (I have a german game).

Or might it be, because I had problems with the group things? Not the GUILD but the other thing... forgot the name. The Tutorial did not work for me, because the new SimPE looks totally different, and I could not find the fix inte... thing. Would be very nice if someone may help. And please excuse my sillyness and my bad English.
Test Subject
#89 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 10:39 PM Last edited by MrsCraft : 23rd Nov 2006 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Different Question
I always thought I was a sharp cookie, but I'm super-confused right now. I sat down and spent a few hours writing a new career in Word Processor and spell-checking it and all that stuff, and now I'm trying to do everything in SimPE.

I downloaded what I assumed to be the blank career package from the bottom of the first post and extracted it to my desktop with WinRar. Then, I opened SimPE and was going to open the templatecareer.package, but I don't seem to have it. The only thing I have available to open in SimPE is TEMPLATE.Adult.package.

The picture posted there of what I should see is missing; I don't know if this is the right package I've opened or if there's something else I should have downloaded and somehow managed to miss.

Help?

***EDIT***

Okay, disregard that question...I figured out the issue, but now I've got a different question. When I'm inputting the Chance Cards, There's only room for 9, and I know you said to type in the scenarios for ten of them. So what do I do with the last one?
Test Subject
#90 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Krystylfalls
(I only have room for 9 chance cards in your template - should I have ten?)

Quote: Originally posted by MrsCraft
When I'm inputting the Chance Cards, There's only room for 9, and I know you said to type in the scenarios for ten of them. So what do I do with the last one?

I've got the same problem too! It can be easily remedified by clicking on string 0x007E and click on Add Strings button. Continue clicking on Add Strings until the last string is 0x008A, and voila! Change card fields for your Level 10 career .

Quote: Originally posted by Krystylfalls
Also can you make the chance cards to have both choices positive, ie. good and better rather than good and bad?

Sure you can! Under 'Bad' chance card results, don't enter minus in front of the number, e.g. instead of entering -100 for a lost of skill point, you enter 100 instead.
Test Subject
#91 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 6:10 AM Last edited by vangaza : 24th Nov 2006 at 6:12 AM. Reason: Added a quote
Quote: Originally posted by Swjosdotschka
errrm... that might be a silly question, but how can I tell where the male and the female section is, with the new SimPE?

Guten Tag Swjosdotschka!

For the job description Text Lists, the strings from 0x0001 to 0x0014 is for male, while 0x0015 to 0x0028 is for female. Leave 0x0000 as Unemployed.

For the chance cards text list, it is alternate. Okay, let me use an example. For the Level 1 chance card, the strings used are from 0x0013 to 0x001E.
  • 0x0015 is the text that appears when your Sim is a male. (Description of card)
  • 0x0016 is the text that appears when your Sim is a female. (Description of card)
  • 0x0017 is the text that appears when your Sim is a male. (Good choice of the first button)
  • 0x0018 is the text that appears when your Sim is a female. (Good choice of the first button)

And the pattern goes something like this:
Choice
Choice
Male text
Female text
Male's choice
Female's choice
Male's choice
Female's choice
etc etc etc.

I hope you get me :p.

The career won't show up in the game.

Did you put the package file under the Downloads folder? If you did, then your job probably did not show up on the newspaper on that day. To force your Sims to get the job, enter "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" by pressing Ctrl+Shift+C. Then right-click the newspaper, and you will see something like Jobs --> Your Job Name (I forgot the option, but it's something like that). Then click on it, and your Sim will be assigned the job automatically.

I did not do the female version, as I don't know how to do so.

You don't have to give unique descriptions to both genders. Basically what I do is copy descriptions of male and paste them into the female's. Then I just change the masculine forms of words into feminine forms, e.g. he --> she, actor --> actress etc.

Is this all because I clicked "default" when I changed the language to german? (I have a german game).

I really do not know how. Maybe you should clear all the fields by clicking on Default lang only button, then go to German, then type out everything.

I could not find the fix inte... thing.

Fix Integrity command can be found under Tools --> Object Tools --> Fix Integrity. Or it can be found under the third pictorial toolbar by clicking on the down arrow --> Add/Remove Buttons --> Fix Integrity.

Hope that helps
Test Subject
#92 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 6:20 AM
I've got the same problem too! It can be easily remedified by clicking on string 0x007E and click on Add Strings button. Continue clicking on Add Strings until the last string is 0x008A, and voila! Change card fields for your Level 10 career .

AH! I tried that. Then I started up my game and had my female test sim get the job, but when it finally came up in the paper, it offered her the job at level 6 rather than level 1...I know I've done everything right up to this point, so what's the deal with that? It only changed after I added strings.

Also, I noticed when I was testing that when my male test sim accepted the job from the paper, the newspaper disappeared. Is that typical or just some kind of weird glitch just because all the information (pay, carpool, skill requirements, etc) weren't written into the file yet?

A couple more things and I'll shut up, I swear...

1-How do I rename the career? I'm almost sure it was mentioned in the tutorial, but I must be missing it. And everything I messed with to do it didn't change it.

2-If I'm not planning on posting my custom career, do I have to get a new GUID for it? I was curious because when I tried to get a new GUID for it, I couldn't, and I'm really only doing it for me anyway.

Thanks for whoever can answer these questions. I'm really not as dumb as I look!
Test Subject
#93 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 4:17 AM
AH! I tried that. Then I started up my game and had my female test sim get the job, but when it finally came up in the paper, it offered her the job at level 6 rather than level 1...I know I've done everything right up to this point, so what's the deal with that? It only changed after I added strings.

Err...maybe that's because she may have enough skill points and friends to qualify herself for Level 6 and above, so the game offers her a job at Level 6 instead of Level 1.

Also, I noticed when I was testing that when my male test sim accepted the job from the paper, the newspaper disappeared. Is that typical or just some kind of weird glitch just because all the information (pay, carpool, skill requirements, etc) weren't written into the file yet?

Possibly. Try finishing up them before testing again.

1-How do I rename the career?

Click on Object Data, click on the only file there, and rename the initial career name (under "Filename" field) at the end of "JobData - Adult -" to your career name.

2-If I'm not planning on posting my custom career, do I have to get a new GUID for it? I was curious because when I tried to get a new GUID for it, I couldn't, and I'm really only doing it for me anyway.

It's better if you can, because the GUID you might be using could belong to a Maxis career, and your custom career might overwrite it. But I think this template file provided by Emma_Barrett already has a unique GUID, so you don not really need a new one if it's for yourself. Try asking her.
Test Subject
#94 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 5:20 AM
I still can't get my career to show up in the game, I've tried everything I could find, it is hard following some of the old tutorials when the SimPE is different to the pictures but I thought I had figgured it out.

I have the newst simPE, the EP4 - Pets, and I've downloaded Emma's template, do I need anything else?
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 25th Nov 2006 at 7:38 PM
Hi Vangaza!
Thanks for your nice reply!
I tried to get one of my Sims my Job via Merolas Cheatpicture. That picture shos any career in game, but not mine.
I still think it is, because the file is very small (only 64KB, so not normal) and it says it is a DBPF package or something like that, but SimPE does not read it as this file type. When I open it in SimPE I always have to choose "All filetypes" to find it.

I think I should try the career all the way new again and see if it will work then...
Thanks again for your nice reply!
Test Subject
#96 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 3:03 PM Last edited by Ting : 27th Nov 2006 at 6:53 PM.
This tutorial is great, it's helped me a whole lot. Kudos!

One thing I'm curious about though. How do I get the career name to show up in the game? My career does not overwrite any existing careers but it shows up as Law and Order. In other words I have two careers named Law and Order instead of one Law and Order and one which is named after my career.

EDIT: I noticed another goof. When my Sim gets promoted the "promotion window" doesn't show up. I have to click on the Sim's employment info to see that he's promoted.
Test Subject
#97 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 8:54 PM
Hi.
Great tutorial.
but I have a question how do you fire anyone with a chance card? what do you have to type in the Job level-ting?
Test Subject
#98 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 4:00 AM
Ok, I read through all the posts and I'm not sure if this has been addressed. I downloaded the template, and i opened it in simpe, then when I went to open it with Bidou's career editor, I got this message:

Default (0.60.1.16885).

Exception Stack:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
at SimPe.Plugin.CareerEditor.levelChanged()
at SimPe.Plugin.CareerEditor.Execute(IPackedFileDescriptor& pfd, IPackageFile& package, IProviderRegistry prov)

Source:
System.Windows.Forms

Execution Stack:
at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
at SimPe.Plugin.CareerEditor.levelChanged()
at SimPe.Plugin.CareerEditor.Execute(IPackedFileDescriptor& pfd, IPackageFile& package, IProviderRegistry prov)

What have I done wrong??
Test Subject
#99 Old 5th Dec 2006 at 9:28 PM
This really helped me understand how careers are set up. I was able to make my own, Adult Entertainment Career. Yeah, I know I'm sick. Go ahead, get it out of your system.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone point this out, though they may have and I missed it. The tutorial mentions using "$me" as a substitute for the sim's name. When I use "$me" instead of "$Me", the game crashes. It's a drag because I have to do a hard reboot every time. I don't even get to see the error message so I can't tell you what it says. So if your career is crashing the game it's worth checking for $me in the chance cards.
Test Subject
#100 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 10:26 AM
I have a problem where my new Career comes up, however it is at level 6 instead of starting at the level 1. I know someone mensioned Skill points, my Sim had 4 points, one on Charisma, one on Body, One on Logic and Creativity.

I am trying to make it so that you have to start on Level 1, but can't get it to work....
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TEMPLATE. Adult.rar (22.8 KB, 32 downloads) - View custom content
Page 4 of 17