Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 11:29 AM Last edited by daisylee : 26th Oct 2018 at 11:41 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Sim 3 Launcher Uploading When Game is Shut Off
I have played Sims 3 since it came out. All of the sudden for about the last week every time I play when I later shut down my PC it tells me Sims 3 has an uploading going on and if I close the program to shut down I will lose that. What the heck? LOL I shut the game off maybe hours ago? Why is the launcher still running and trying to upload things? I have never had this until about a week ago. The game is not shutting off when I quit it seems?

Anyone else have this all of the sudden? Do you know of any way to avoid this to go back to as before? I have changed nothing in my game settings.

I just looked and task manager does not say Sims is running.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 5:50 PM Last edited by igazor : 26th Oct 2018 at 9:58 PM.
It's not really uploading anything, it's a stuck process.

This has been an issue since a couple of months ago for players on Patch 1.67 (and probably below) on all operating systems, including Steam installs, whenever the Launcher is used or the player is playing while logged in. EA changed something on the server end without testing on or taking 1.67 into account and they refuse to do so now. Their official take on it is that everyone should be on Origin/1.69 now and sorry, but players on the Mac version who have no such option can, I guess, go pound sand or just keep force-quitting the Launcher every session.

The real solution is to restrict the write access to a file called Sims3Logs.xml, which will show up as just Sims3Logs if extensions are hidden, in the TS3 user game folder in Documents. On Windows, right-click on the file and Properties, then Security, and deny write access at the Admin, System, and user levels. Or just never log in and use a Launcher bypass, but then it becomes impossible to do certain other things like work with newly acquired store content and the other "online" features of the game, such as they are.
Scholar
#3 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 7:02 PM
or
lock that pesky thing in the firewall and get over with that

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 7:39 PM
I think the point is that sometimes players want/need their games to be logged in and communicating with EA's servers. Just not quite that way nor as a forever proposition where nothing is really happening.
Scholar
#5 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 8:41 PM
it's like speaking with the devils want, or Rosemary baby.*

Anyway the Launcher, outside installing sims3packs is pretty useless nowadays (like it was not from the beginning *shrugs*).

*these should be the ingame wants i think

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Oct 2018 at 10:00 PM
Speaking with me is like speaking with Rosemary's baby? Not entirely sure, but that doesn't sound very flattering.

(okay, I know that's not what was meant but I didn't really have anything else to add there...)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 12:23 AM
Thank you for the replies and yes I am on 1.67. I am glad to know I am not going crazy all of the sudden. I will try that write access fix.
Instructor
#8 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 2:30 AM
Thanks for posting this @daisylee -I was thinking it was just me since I had a few issues with my game over the last few weeks.

@Igazor thanks for answering, I'll go fix the issue now that I know it actually is one :D
Mad Poster
#9 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Thank you for the replies and yes I am on 1.67. I am glad to know I am not going crazy all of the sudden. I will try that write access fix.

Oh, I never said that. In fact, I think we all are doing so just as very different rates. But not over this particular issue.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 7:33 PM
That should totally be @igazor 's user title.
'And sassy to boot!'
:p
Mad Poster
#11 Old 27th Oct 2018 at 8:51 PM
They only tolerate me over there because I'm the only one who knows how to fix the coffee maker when it locks up. That and I once threatened to startup my own site and call it Igazor's Travel Agency to handle players with Traveler issues. Next thing I knew I was receiving invitations to be an NRaas Organizer.

That's a pretty twisted version of the history but it's at least somewhat more interesting than what really happened.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Oct 2018 at 2:50 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 29th Oct 2018 at 10:40 PM
Do you think this is in any way associated with the problem I started having at least a month ago of the game continuing to run in the tray after exiting from it? Was anyone else having that problem? (I didn't report it here because I would just shut SIms 3 down in task manager. It really was running after being closed, too.)
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Do you think this is in any way associated with the problem I started having at least a month ago of the game continuing to run in the tray after exiting from it? Was anyone else having that problem? (I didn't report it here because I would just shut SIms 3 down in task manager. It really was running after being closed, too.)

Given the timing, yes it's likely the same or a related issue. Does it stop if you restrict the write access as I described above or was the problem more intermittent and difficult to reproduce every time?
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 7:31 PM
I never tried restricting the write access then; it did happen every time, which was quite annoying.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 5:06 PM
Restricting the write access doesn't work at all for me; what I am doing (which works) is delete the logs file after every session (which is when I clean out the caches anyway).
Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Restricting the write access doesn't work at all for me; what I am doing (which works) is delete the logs file after every session (which is when I clean out the caches anyway).

What I actually did in the beginning was restrict both read and write access at all of those levels (user, admin, system). That worked for me so I didn't take it any further. But yes, it has been reported that always deleting the log files after every game session works as well.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 10th Nov 2018 at 10:56 PM
Yeah, I can go with this OK, because it's already a routine for me to clean out the caches, which are in the same place.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 10:42 PM
I tried doing the blocking write access thing mentioned earlier and it's still putting itself into my tray. This has been bothering the heck out of me because I don't realize it's there, try to shut down my computer, and my computer never does so because the sims3 launcher is preventing it from shutting down. It's enough to make me not want to play sims anymore lol.