Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 4:43 PM
Default Hair Recolors
Has anyone successfully made a hair recolor yet? I tried to make a light brown medium afro, but it's not showing up. Everything looks okay in s4pe (the unknown file shows light brown hair instead of blue), but nothing in the demo changes. I thought it might be that hair recolors are not possible, since no one else seems to have made them, but I my custom t-shirt isn't working either.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 5:13 PM
I haven't made one, but I've seen these recolors available so I guess some people have already figured it out.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 5:51 PM
They could choose another colour, a normal red for instance... We just have to wait
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 6:13 PM
Hair recolors have been made and are working. Did you put them in the right folder?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 6:44 PM
It is possible to make recolors, this is my work in progress:

I have to mark it as a Default replacement in Color Magic before opening up the file in S4PE to get it to show in the game. It also needs to be in the mods folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 12:14 AM Last edited by cwurts00 : 18th Aug 2014 at 12:26 AM.
That might be it - I didn't mark mine as default replacement, because I didn't want to replace anything. The light green hairs linked above are not replacements, though. Anyway - I can certainly do without the purple, pink, dark blue, light blue, green, and dark red hairs.

Edit: Nope - now s4pe won't let me import the altered DDS file back into the package.

Edit: All I'm looking for is two browns lighter than medium brown, a "sunny" medium blonde, a lighter orange, and a pale orange/blonde, and I'll be happy. Is there a way to just overide the color for all the hairs at once?
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cwurts00
Edit: Nope - now s4pe won't let me import the altered DDS file back into the package.

Edit: All I'm looking for is two browns lighter than medium brown, a "sunny" medium blonde, a lighter orange, and a pale orange/blonde, and I'll be happy. Is there a way to just overide the color for all the hairs at once?

Did you do "flatten visible layers" in Gimp/Photoshop, and export your texture as DXT5 with mipmaps?

If that's not it and you think you have a S4PE bug, Kuree has a support thread at Simlogical.

As for overriding the colors for all the hairs at once -- not exactly sure what you mean by that. To get the right IDs on everything you'll have to export them separately in Color Magic, but you can put all your recolors in one package after you retexture... method is here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=531295
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 5:16 AM Last edited by cwurts00 : 18th Aug 2014 at 5:28 AM.
I use Gimp 2.8, and did not "flatten visible layers". There are several options similar to that: Merge Visible Layers; Flatten Image, Align Visible Layers. So far I've tried the first two, with no luck.

Edit: There is also an option in Merge Visible Layers to discard invisible layers.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 11:51 PM
Moving to TS4 > CAS.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#10 Old 29th Aug 2014 at 9:40 AM Last edited by mouse1996 : 29th Aug 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by cwurts00
I use Gimp 2.8, and did not "flatten visible layers". There are several options similar to that: Merge Visible Layers; Flatten Image, Align Visible Layers. So far I've tried the first two, with no luck.

Edit: There is also an option in Merge Visible Layers to discard invisible layers.

I am using GIMP also, and I am having the same trouble trying to make a new hair color that doesn't change the default one. I've downloaded some from other people, so I know it is possible. I found this tutorial done by the gal who made the green recolors listed above in this post, I did everything that she'd done, but she mentioned alpha channels, something I didn't know about, so I looked that up for GIMP and found this . I've yet to try it because I got so frustrated trying to figure out what I was doing wrong that I had to take a break. LOL! But I thought I would post this for those of you looking for suggestions. I'm not sure if this info will help, but it's something more to go off of. Good luck!

ETA: So I went and tried my own suggestions and still had issues, then a "genius" thought came upon me. Did I change the swatch color in Color Magic? Nope, I hadn't. Once I did that I didn't have any issues with my hair showing up in the demo. You can check out my few practice creations here. So if you are having issues with your hair not showing up, make sure you've changed the original swatch color in Color Magic before you save the package. Hope I could help someone. Happy creating!
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 1:17 PM
You helped me Mouse1996! I had been practically pulling my hair out over not being able to get my recoloured hair working - Should have tried the swatch thing in the first place...

The Whitmore Legacy ~ First Random legacy
The Burris Legacy - Second Random Legacy
Test Subject
#12 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kerantli
You helped me Mouse1996! I had been practically pulling my hair out over not being able to get my recoloured hair working - Should have tried the swatch thing in the first place...

So glad I could help. I know it frustrated me too, and I felt like a bonehead when I figured out it was the swatch. But at least we know now. Happy Simming!