Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 10:01 PM Last edited by Moria : 30th Jan 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Default CAW Mix and Match "Bridge" that gap
Greetings.. So I wanted to play with Bridges in my little test world of Sanctuary.

I decided that what I needed was a Mix and match kit to allow different bridges to be made, and having completed this and tested it, I hereby bring you the result.

This kit contains 10 seperate parts.. 4 bridge decks,

2 Bridge Bases.. these have the handrails and assorted piers,

2 Under Girder units

and 2 Over Girder units.

As with all my CAW sets, the easiest way is to place the bridge deck first and link the roads, check the routing and test inworld. Then, when happy add a set of piers and any over or under girders you want by copying and pasting the XYZ and the rotX, roty and rotz from the deck to the accessory part. All pieces have been set up to align exactly using this method as per this picture from aligning the ferry docks.

I also discovered whilst testing that it IS possible to join bridges together. The art is to ensure that the height and angle is absolutely identical (again, copy pasting in the CAW editor helps here) and that the ends exactly line up as well. The decks will NOT snap together like roads do, but the routing will work.

If you have the decks very slightly offset, the car will veer towards the centre of the road at the bridge join, if they are slightly more offset, the routing will be broken. If you have the alignment exact, the cars will just run normally across the gaps. It's a bit of an arcane art, but it does work as can be seen here...

This bridge (and the one in the opening picture..same bridge ) is made from.. reading left to right..

Rust deck with Chevrons and 2 pier base
Rust deck with no pier base and both under and over girders in rust
Rust deck with Chevrons and 2 pier base

The under and over girders is a bit OTT.. but was done for demo purposes.

I hope you enjoy these items and give you some additional objects to play with when building your worlds.

To use in CAW, I use this framework :-

Sims3Wiki CAW framework

USE this CAREFULLY.. this is not a replace but an append in the cfg.. you have been warned.

Don't forget to also add them to your normal package framework for them to show up when you go to play your world.

Regards

Moria

Additional Credits:
S3OC, S3PE, TSRW for sunshadow generation and all the members of the CAW forum and MTS for encouragement.

I also used some of Criquettes testures and models from his bridge set, with permission.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  CAW Bridges.rar (8.94 MB, 8626 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Jan 2011 at 12:21 PM
These are great, Moria- thank you for the connection instructions too.
Test Subject
#3 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 3:27 AM
Thank You So Much For These, I Love You!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 8:43 PM
Fantastic looking and great that you found out that bridges can connect!

BTW quick question for anyone, if you use these custom objects does it mean that the user of your world will also be required to download these or to they get exported with the world to the user?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 12:34 AM
Hi yeabil.

I just did a world export and the only things included in the world package were items that had been installed from Sims3Packs, not from packages. So yes you would have to get the person to download the package, or put it in the file seperately in order to get the items in the final world.

I have no problem with you including the package in the world, or including the download in a set of packages with your world. My standard terms are use it, abuse it, do what you like with it, just give me a mention and point to MTS as my home and you're good to go

Regards

Moria
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moria
Hi yeabil.

I just did a world export and the only things included in the world package were items that had been installed from Sims3Packs, not from packages. So yes you would have to get the person to download the package, or put it in the file seperately in order to get the items in the final world.

I have no problem with you including the package in the world, or including the download in a set of packages with your world. My standard terms are use it, abuse it, do what you like with it, just give me a mention and point to MTS as my home and you're good to go

Regards

Moria

Thanks for your kindness, right now it's too late for the world I'm working on but I was thinking how great these would be over-pases for highways in a world.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 1:51 AM
I only have the base game and riverview, so I am very grateful for these.
I wonder if you are planning on making any more? Maybe a short,
culvert type bridge?
Test Subject
#8 Old 30th Jan 2012 at 11:36 AM
Im wondering and hoping that this will be updated for Pets
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Jan 2012 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaxSmart
Im wondering and hoping that this will be updated for Pets

As far as I know, these work with Pets (I don't have it though). Are they not showing up for you?

Come Check out New York City!
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Jan 2012 at 10:01 PM
Yea In caw They dont show up anymore and before I got pets they did (Caw has been reninstalled )
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Jan 2012 at 12:50 PM
Did you remember to re-do your resource.cfg?
Test Subject
#12 Old 31st Jan 2012 at 12:54 PM
I reinstalled the mod folder but what changes would I have to make to the resource.cfg I havent been able to find an updated one for pets ( I have all exp and stuff packs)

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Packages/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 499
PackedFile Test/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Probation/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
Priority 500
PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 31st Jan 2012 at 1:17 PM
MaxSmart- that is your resource.cfg for in-game objects. For CAW you need to follow this tutorial, as linked in Moria's first post:
Game Help:CAW Frameworkwiki
Test Subject
#14 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 11:29 AM
ok ive moved my package folder to the program folder instead of my docs and its working thanks
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 12:14 PM
Test Subject
#16 Old 3rd Jul 2012 at 2:01 AM
Screwed Up My Entire Game, After Taking Them Out Of My Mods Folder, I'm Unable To Access My Buy Or Build Menu. Thank You For Wrecking My Game.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 3rd Jul 2012 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lambo1029
Screwed Up My Entire Game, After Taking Them Out Of My Mods Folder, I'm Unable To Access My Buy Or Build Menu. Thank You For Wrecking My Game.

Oh Dear, Did You Delete Something You Shouldn't Have?

Removing these items from your mods folder will not cause any problems, so there must be some other cause. Head over to the Help section (click help at the top of the page) to solve this.
Test Subject
#18 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 10:06 PM
Thank you!~ These bridges are awesome. I have Late Night the bridges didn't really fit with the theme of my world!
Test Subject
#19 Old 14th Jun 2013 at 5:17 AM
I have everything installed correctly, I just cant find the bridge components anywhere. Where SHOULD I be able to find them?