Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 2:36 AM
Default How many generations before imploding neighborhood
I know I read about this topic maybe a couple of years ago, but I can't find it again. There was a consensus of how many generations it took before the neighborhood began showing signs of corruption. Someone said that they had 6 generations and was still going strong.
What hacks can CAUSE problems with longer lived families with many generations?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:19 AM
The way I understand it, neighborhood corruption has more to do with population, trash memories, and player mistakes than any particular amount of progress in a single family.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 3:24 AM
There is a lot of great info in this thread: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532696 and K6ka has a list going to: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/User:K6k...recommended_DLC

If you are careful that you don't do the "Very Bad Things" that you can do in Sims 2 then there is no end in site as of yet.

I don't remember the site but I was following it and she was on the 34th generation in that line and this was 2 years ago, there no telling if it is still going or not for I lost the link.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Alchemist
#4 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 7:54 AM
I'm playing in EA's Strangetown - generation 3 and still going strong no signs of corruption.
I am still careful to not delete sims or any other ways to bork a neighborhood
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 6:09 PM
Hacks don't necessarily cause corruption on their own, its what you do with them that does count towards corrupting your neighborhood.

I think I know my current custom neighborhood is corrupted, and the most generations I've reached is the fourth generation so far. I'm hoping I'd reach the 5th, because this is just all new. I've never reached gen. 4 or 5. So, I hope and pray to God that the neighborhood will survive for as long as possible.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 7:05 PM
There's also issues of playstyle and pacing. Someone running a legacy who has a similar game rig and game hygiene habits can probably get through a generation as fast as or faster than I can play one round, what with a preference for big families, rotation-style play, lots of community lot visits, almost everyone going to University, a fair number of vacations, etc. So if a certain number of game hours accumulates a certain amount of inevitable corruption from "wear and tear," and our hoods both imploded at the same time, I would have gotten through many fewer generations than the legacy player in the same amount of time.

Just because a group of people can reach a valid consensus based on their own experience, does not mean that consensus will remain valid when a member of that group tries to extrapolate it for a larger, less homogenous group, or to a similar group with key differences in characteristics.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#7 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 7:31 PM
I think a lot depends on what neighborhood/sims you're using. Even without VBTs my EA Pleasantview died pretty fast when doing my "premade babies kinda legacy", though the first sign of corruption did give me a chuckle when Angela suddenly had the idea that Dustin was a dog and was afraid of him chasing sims. I got to Lillith and Dirk's 1st grandson and Angela and Dustin's 3rd kid before lots became unplayable. But in my cleaned up Megahood, I've hit 3 generations without any troubles.

If you play marrying a lot of CAS sims and cleaned up Townies/playables in a tidy hood, I'd estimate it would have a pretty long and good run so long as no VBTs are done and lots of needed mods. Playing in a hood known to have sims with poorly done genetics is a pretty risky move but everyone's game is different; I've done far too many VBTs in my game on my 9-year-old laptop (I was very anti-ghosts back in the day o~o) and I'm honestly shocked it's quite playable, while the game residing in my newer computer has already had 2 borked hoods without me doing really anything to them.
Alchemist
#8 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 8:56 PM
Am I wrong if I say that it can depend on the computer too? Not saying '' I have better specs than u '' etc. but more of how the computer handles certain data, files and more?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 9:52 PM
Hacks are what can save your hood, not corrupt it. No corrupt death, no unlink on delete, Creature Fixes, No Sim Loaded, and the Bat Box can all help keep your game running. Programs to keep it running are the Hood Checker and The Clean Installer. The only mods that would corrupt it are either badly made or wrongly used, but most hacks don't have the potential to even do that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 2:51 AM
One program that is really essential and actually on this site is Mootilda's Neighborhood Corruption program: HoodChecker 1.0.3 - Neighborhood Corruption Detector (Updated February 11, 2013)

That combined with some of the Director's Cut, and other hacks, make a game last a long time if you don't do the really outrageous things that do corrupt a neighborhood beyond salvaging.