Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 7:37 AM
Default Firefighters don't have any off time and never leave the firestation?
I just noticed that my firefighters NEVER leave the fire station and when I call them they're always busy and say to call back in 14 hours. When I first got Ambitions (mod-less) this didn't happen.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 7:39 AM
I think it's borked, I rarely get fires.
Alchemist
#3 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Marcy
I just noticed that my firefighters NEVER leave the fire station and when I call them they're always busy and say to call back in 14 hours. When I first got Ambitions (mod-less) this didn't happen.

That's not affected by mods at all. It's vanilla (or at least a "feature" from the patch).

The ActiveFireFighter.xml in GameplayData.package states that these firefighter coworkers will go to the fire station at 6 AM and leave at 2 AM, the time at which you cannot make a call.

Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I think it's borked, I rarely get fires.

I don't know what's wrong with you, but you're supposed to get at least one fire a day; no more, no less. That is, unless the game fails to trigger the job, such as the world not having any valid residential lots or living residents or no rabbit holes for the RH fire.

Just call me Nikel
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 5:10 PM
@nikel23
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
That's not affected by mods at all. It's vanilla (or at least a "feature" from the patch).

The ActiveFireFighter.xml in GameplayData.package states that these firefighter coworkers will go to the fire station at 6 AM and leave at 2 AM, the time at which you cannot make a call.

Perhaps I never noticed when I first got the game. Is there any way to fix it?
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 12:20 AM Last edited by McNum : 12th Jun 2015 at 2:28 AM. Reason: Tested it out. Yes, it can be XML tuned.
Quote: Originally posted by Marcy
@nikel23

Perhaps I never noticed when I first got the game. Is there any way to fix it?

Hmm, if it's in an XML in GamePlayData.package, and it is since I'm looking at it right now, then... look at the website's name. I wonder if anyone already modded that? Seems straightforward to fix unless there's some crazy code preventing it somehow.

Maybe I should mess with it on principle, because having the coworkers go home at 2 AM is stupid. They should have the same work hours as an active Sim. I haven't modded anything for this game for my own use in over a year, though, so I promise nothing.

If it IS as simple as it looks, it'd be a great first mod to practice on, though. Fairly easy to read, easy enough to find, and the XML tuning style mods are probably the simplest there is in Sims 3.

EDIT: Yup, it does look as simple as that. Got them to arrive at 9:00 and leave at 17:00. Then invited one of them over to check they weren't locked down.

Had some weirdness going on in a custom world with a Sim not coming over because she was at work and didn't know when she got off, so I am not 100% sure it's perfect. But in a stripped down world that is basically two families city hall and a firestation it worked flawlessly.

But basically, you can XML mod this one out, it seems.

Maybe I should share this one, if someone hasn't already done it. Need to test it on a live world, though. I could branch out my current game and run a firefighter Sim for a week, I suppose. Don't get more real conditions than a game in progress. Even if Isla Paradiso seems like the worst map for a firefighter.
Alchemist
#6 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 5:30 AM Last edited by nikel23 : 12th Jun 2015 at 1:54 PM.
I made my own personal XML mod very long ago but I never shared it. I never heard if there has been any similar mods anywhere, so I'll share mine here. I've made two changes in my mod.
-The firefighter coworker's working time is now set to 9 - 4. While I'm aware the regular working time is 9 - 5, I think it's okay if they go home earlier since they practically do nothing while lingering in the fire station. No one will notice anyway.
-The number of firefighter coworkers in the default game is 3 - 4, which, I think, is waay too many. I could only be friends with 2 of them most of the time and my job performance stays well. I changed the number to 1 - 2. I wasn't aware that not many people might have the same idea as mine, so I changed the number back to 3 - 4. I can't tell if people really want it a low or high number, so it's better to just set it at default number.

This mod won't conflict with Ambitions Firefighter Tweaks and Fewer Thank You Calls for Firefighters mods so you can use all three of the mods.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Nikel23 - Firefighter coworker tweak v2.rar (1.5 KB, 40 downloads) - View custom content

Just call me Nikel
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 8:58 AM
@nikel23

Thank you so much! I'll download it.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 9:00 AM
My experience has been like nitromon's. I use Nraas SP and I only get coworkers assigned to the career that live their lives normally.

The last time I got coworkers assigned by the game was years ago when I was still playing a vanilla game. Currently in my town, I have 7 sims working as firefighters and they progress like with any other career.

Vivi e lascia vivere.
My blog Simplex Sims for more elder and teen CC.
Alchemist
#10 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Do you know if this number is affected by NRAAS SP? I just tend to think the number of firefighter co-workers depends on how many sims NSP assigns as firefighters in your town. I've had as much as 6-7 at times, which I didn't mind because I built a huge firehouse. And also, again I don't know whether it is NSP doing it, but firefighters in my town don't stay until 2 am, they go home after their shifts. I think there might be a difference between assigned firefighter co-workers and simply sims that joined the firefighter careers.

I'd be more interested if there's a way to create NPC fightfighters (or use the current NPC firefighters) to stay and live there 24-7. After all, I didn't place all those bunk beds for no reason.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Nraas SP interferes with this tuning at all. I think it's very possible though.

Also, I forgot the way people play is different from each other. I made the tuning mod above to my liking, which sets the number of coworkers (without SP I guess) to very low number. I wasn't aware that not many people might like it that way, like you. I'll reset the number shortly.

It's possible to tune the xml so the firefighters actually work 24/7. I'm not sure how they'll act if you do that, though. Again, I'm not sure how SP modifies the coworkers' behavior, so maybe you wouldn't expect the tuned xml to work.

Just call me Nikel