Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2601 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 1:36 PM

Voeille!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Scholar
#2602 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 2:02 PM
It was fun to participate, I wasn’t sure whether I would when you announced the contest, but I’m definitely glad I did Thank you!

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#2603 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 2:05 PM
Thank you judges and Jo. And congrats, Voeille!

Judge 3: Thanks for specifically mentioning the photo board You can thank @heaven for that one. Darn her and her relentless support and motivation :P
Field Researcher
#2604 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 2:23 PM
Congratulations, Voeille! My money was on you as the winner since round 1.

Re Judge 2's comments on my entry: Bowling alley??? I am not surprised it doesn't look much like one, being as it's a garden centre.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2605 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 2:44 PM
Sorry did I mess up a comment? -it's really late now I'll check in the morning. Someone else had a bowling alley so that might be my mistake.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
#2606 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 2:46 PM
Congratulations to Voeille!!

Jo, thank you again for the wonderfull contest :lovestruc (the pool ladders were real pool ladders, from this set )

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Mad Poster
#2607 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 2:57 PM
Congratulations, Voeille!

Thank you again, Jo. I enjoyed it and I really learned a lot. I hope you can get a well-deserved rest soon.

Thank you, Judges, I am pleased with my score too.
Mad Poster
#2608 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 3:35 PM
Anybody surprised that Voeille won, stand on your head. For the rest of us it's been a race for second place this whole time.

Or in my case, to get to the middle of the pack. I did better than I thought I would. If something makes me smile, I don't care if it clashes, but not everybody has my particular sense of humor, and I am heartened that so many people liked the casual vibe of Crooked Beach, even if they didn't go for all the details. And now I know the sky effects mod doesn't lag my game, so learning that was worth entering all by itself.

BTW, I made a house for the Eliots, too, on the second foundation, if anybody wants to see it. Evans and Rodney didn't interest me much.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#2609 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 4:19 PM
Haha, I hear that Peni about a race for the middle. Not really surprised since round 2 to be honest. Part of the reason that I believe scores should just be PM'd perhaps. *shrug*

So happy with my places though and really had a ton of fun! I would LOVE to see your places or anyone else who happened to create homes for more than one alternate family. May as well since the thread is still open right now. I don't want to spam the thread with pictures of 20 alternate houses though, so maybe I should start a journal and post them there for previewing.
Link Ninja
#2610 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 4:35 PM
I think everyone did a great job and I hope they learned new building techniques or perspectives they can apply to their own games or future building contests. I was constantly getting little tingles of excitement when I saw some of the really clever ways you guys build or decorate. It was a real pleasure

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2611 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 5:08 PM
Well done everyone, especially Voeille. Congratulations all!

Now perhaps Jo will get back to normal in the staff room!

(you get that herding cats achievement for a reason)

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#2612 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 5:27 PM
Congrataltions Voille and everyone else! I think looking back the builds just got better and better each round. I saw so many creative uses of things and learned so many things I didn't know. Thanks to the judges and Jo for all their hard work!
I had so much fun doing this competition and hope everyone else enjoyed themselves too
Scottiedoag
Mad Poster
#2613 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 5:29 PM Last edited by gazania : 15th Jul 2017 at 6:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Anybody surprised that Voeille won, stand on your head. For the rest of us it's been a race for second place this whole time.

Or in my case, to get to the middle of the pack. I did better than I thought I would. If something makes me smile, I don't care if it clashes, but not everybody has my particular sense of humor, and I am heartened that so many people liked the casual vibe of Crooked Beach, even if they didn't go for all the details. And now I know the sky effects mod doesn't lag my game, so learning that was worth entering all by itself.

BTW, I made a house for the Eliots, too, on the second foundation, if anybody wants to see it. Evans and Rodney didn't interest me much.

I admire your ambition. I was hoping for the Top 5. Didn't make it, I know, but I certainly was hoping for it!

I did a whole lot better in that last round than I thought, by the way. I think one reason for my pessimism might be because I was getting too close to the build. (In Journalism, when you get too close to a story, you get so involved with it that you lose objectivity ... not a good thing at all!)

When I saw JustJones got a 75, I smiled ... kindly. If anyone deducted anything for that build, I would be surprised! And Voielle winning ... more kind smiling. Congrats!

Thank you. joandsarah77, thank you, judges, and thank you, entrants. While I joked about how I'd win if all you others dropped out, it certainly would have been pretty boring without you all! And the retention rate really was pretty good. There was some pretty stiff competition the whole contest, and much creativity all around!

NatteryakToad ... you got Photobucketed. (Resists urge to play with that word and make a somewhat more vulgar term.) Here is the link. I have to scoot now, so I can't go back to the thread about what to do if you find a Photobucketed picture. Sorry!

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums...eryakToad/1.jpg

(And I see even THAT got Photobucketed. What the ... I was using the proper link! PB is being a real PITA. Thank you, Voielle, for the advice on what to do if you get a double-Photobucketed picture. It does work with your advice. There must be a whole lot of views on this thread!)

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Lab Assistant
#2614 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 7:56 PM
Congrats to the Winner and Everyone who finished and tried! :mrgreen

... I must say this- just because the build is old in style doesn't mean it is old "times in the game.'' As no one was dressed in period clothes then the place was just kept old for aesthetics and history. Lol~ there are old buildings that are kept that way with have modern functions. IMHO that's the way it should have been looked at instead of assuming it's was a period build.

And really, it's a bar, the windows are covered because it's a bar. I didn't like any curtains that fit in a bar... so, yes- cover the windows.

Thanks for the Challenge. I learned a lot about them here.
Mad Poster
#2615 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 7:59 PM
Solomon Eliot, a Popularity sim, got abducted while looking through a telescope one day and Jonathan is the result. Jonathan was assigned male with a measuring tape, but also has female traits. Somedays he feels like a boy, some days she feels like a girl, some days they doesn't feel like either; but the kid is always Jonathan.

I'm going to be lazy and just attach the pictures to the thread rather than going through the whole upload-to-Flickr business.

I plan, one of these days, to submit the judged residences for upload. What do you think, should I submit this, too?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#2616 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sweet Mystre
Congrats to the Winner and Everyone who finished and tried! :mrgreen

... I must say this- just because the build is old in style doesn't mean it is old "times in the game.'' As no one was dressed in period clothes then the place was just kept old for aesthetics and history. Lol~ there are old buildings that are kept that way with have modern functions. IMHO that's the way it should have been looked at instead of assuming it's was a period build.

And really, it's a bar, the windows are covered because it's a bar. I didn't like any curtains that fit in a bar... so, yes- cover the windows.

Thanks for the Challenge. I learned a lot about them here.

I agree with this, when I saw your lot for the first time it just looked like an Old Town building to me, not a medieval one.

Peni, I like the flowers around the pond most

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#2617 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 9:57 PM Last edited by gazania : 15th Jul 2017 at 11:18 PM.
I enjoyed looking over the alternate lots as well. I know others showed theirs as well as Peni Griffin. And the alternates looked just as good as the final submissions.

The only one I didn't do was Evans, too. I made an alternate lot with the Lamberts. It's here .... somewhere. I liked Sweet Mystre's alternate lots as well (at least I think it was Sweet Mystre's). And I know I probably missed someone.

Now I'm going to check the MTS PB thread and see how to upload a Photobucketed picture on here, using NatteryakToad's picture. It will be good practice. Someone mentioned you can do this without saving it to your machine. NatteryakToad, if you have any objections, I'll take it down.

EDIT .... It looks like you still have to save the picture to your machine first. Pic is below, anyway.

Sweet Mystre ... I thought your lot was a companion lot to Veronaville, and you were trying to match the style to the town. Some RL towns I know of try to match newer buildings to the style of older buildings to keep a certain look to downtown. I've seen RL examples of this particularly in towns with a historic appeal.

Also, joandsarah77, I'll check out the plantings by the slide. Off-hand, the only ones that come to mind are the raspberry bushes off Plumbbob Keep. Those generate butterflies, and the Sims can nibble on the berries. The download I used for the contest was the revised version, which has three sizes of bushes. The one I currently use in my good game, the older version, has just one size. I'm debating which one to keep. There are other berries as well on PBK. Right now, I have blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. My RL childhood house had blackberry and raspberry bushes in the backyard, and after a rainstorm, I used to go outside barefoot (why get my shoes wet?) and get my fill of berries. Why shouldn't my Sims enjoy that, too?

EDIT ... Joandsarah77, wait ... did you mean the lollipop tree sculpture by the kids' building? I thought it would be an appropriate sculpture near that area, and I've been wanting to use it for a while in a build. I thought I made an almost-complete CC list here, as well as a partial list of tips I gleaned from this contest, but neither is showing up now. I will be giving myself a bunch of face-palms if I deleted that post by accident, but I don't even see a "deleted" post, so I don't think I did. Let me see if I can't just find the tree and provide a link. The other plants are Raynuss' lily-of-the-valley and Queen Anne's lace plants.

I think that tree is one of Sadepaiva's downloads ... let me check.

This one? http://sadepaivas.tumblr.com/post/1...prinkle-it-with . I used one of the recolors in the download.
Screenshots

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2618 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:39 PM
Congratulations on the win Voeille!

Congratulations to everyone else too for staying the course. You all did very well and I definitely saw an improvement as the contest progressed!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2619 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:50 PM
Yes gazania, the lollipop tree. I wanted to know what exactly it was. Cute, thank you. I just wanted a closer look since I wasn't sure what it was.

@Aysarth I will go check your comments.

Play alongs I will get on with today.

~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2620 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:19 AM
Sorry @Aysarth and @Mordant17 I had judge 2's comments and scores swapped, they should now be correct.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2621 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:44 AM
Voeille, your Sims must be the most fortunate in the world. Not only do you play them to give them perfect lives, but they live in perfect neighbourhoods that you build for them!

Congratulations!

And Well Done everyone who took part, including judges, and of course Jo! I too have learned a lot from this contest. The standard has been so high that in some ways I'm glad I missed the cut for the contest proper. Being a play-along has given me a bit more freedom.

I've been playing Jim Evans's modern house for nearly a Sims week now, and had to make only a couple of minor changes. I think I have enough pictures, so I "only" have to upload them and write the post. It should take a couple of days or so -- because I can't stop myself writing a short novel to describe each lot.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2622 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:57 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 17th Jul 2017 at 6:28 AM.
Round five Play Along comments

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2623 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 5:26 AM Last edited by gazania : 16th Jul 2017 at 5:45 PM.
So are the scores in the first column the final scores? I just want to make sure. (Never mind. I should learn to READ the previous post first! Oops!)

I uploaded NatteryakToad's first Round 5 picture, but stopped. NatteryakToad has been here recently, and I really shouldn't do that unless the uploader hasn't been around for at least couple of months or so. I should have contacted NatteryakToad first (which you've done already, joandsarah77). Sorry! My bad. I guess I get nervous when I see that stupid PB message. I'm concerned that one day, even getting the pictures the roundabout way won't be possible. I already see far, far too many tutorials with broken image links.

By the way, NatteryakToad, it seems that ALL your pictures you uploaded to PB are gone, including the previous rounds. I noticed that while trying to compile the tips. Nasty PB.

I'm almost done with my post listing the great tips. I did find it. I also see that one of the tutorials on another site that was already missing a bunch of pictures got Photobucketed with the one remaining picture, so I'll probably include that single picture on that post as well. I hope the creator of the tutorial doesn't mind. If I do get word that the person does, the picture will be removed immediately. It was a great tutorial for an alternate split-level building, and it is bad enough all the other pictures are gone.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2624 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:38 AM
Table updated to be linking. I hope Nattery comes back and reuplaods.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2625 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 9:27 AM
And of course, we will have an End of the Contest Party!
Non-alcoholic drinks available too.

And raising a glass to everyone of you - you have all contributed to making this contest a success. Jo thought up a fantastic idea, and we will drink to her too - but nothing would have happened if there were no contestants and play-alongs.

See you at the fermented fruit juice bar soon

I
Screenshots

Page 105 of 106