Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2017 at 11:45 AM
Default The Oikos Challenge
The Oikos Challenge
Those who are familiar with Ancient Athens society will recognise the term of OIkos meaning the household.
The Challenge Summary
To create the perfect Athenian Household
To Begin With

To into create a sim and make:
A Kyria – a Kyria is the wife of the Kyrios. She is the head woman in the household (Must be female and must be a young adult)
A Kyrios – The head of the household. (Must be male and must be an adult)
A slave – Your starting slave may be female or male, and any age ranging from child to elder (no toddler slaves to begin with)

When creating a house:
First buy the biggest lot in Newcrest.
Starting budget = 50,000 simoleons (use a money cheat to get this amount)
The courtyard must be the centre of the house. All rooms must be built around the courtyard. In the centre of the courtyard must be an impluvium (a pool).
As your household increases in wealth they must decorate their house to show off their riches.
The entire lot must be enclosed in a fence. The Andron (male quarters) and Gynaikon (Female quarters) must be separate buidlings.
The Slaves must have their own building.
You are allowed as many floors as you want.
The Layout of your house should look something like this:
[IMG]untitled.png[/IMG]

Rooms needed:
These rooms do not all need to be made at once as you may not have enough household funds but as your Oikos become more wealthy you can add these rooms.
1.) Gynaikon Rooms:
• A room for newborn babies and toddlers (both genders)
• A room for children and teenagers (female)
• Young Adult, Adult and Elderly women get their own bedrooms
• Kitchen
• A female dinning room
• At least one toilet

2.) Andron Room:
• A room for teenager and children (male)
• Young Adults, Adults and elderly men get their own bedrooms
• A male dinning room
• A symposium room (This is used for dinner parties and must be the most decorated room in the house. I will discuss what symposiums are later)
• A room full of objects that will allow children and teenage sims to gain skills e.g. musical instruments, computers, books, athletic equipment
• At least one toilet
• The Andron must be more decorated than the Gynaikon

3.) The Slaves quarters:
• All slaves (no matter what gender or age) must all sleep in one bedroom.
• A kitchen
• A dinning room
• At least one toilet
• A room full of paint stands
• At least one woodworking bench
• All items must be as cheap as possible

Roles of each member of the Oikos:
1.) Kyria
• The Kyria’s main role is the bare children for the Oikos.
• The more male children she has the better
• However every female child she has will eventually be very expensive as when the girl must be married off she will cost a dowry of 500 simoleons. So it is cheaper to have as few female children as possible
• A Kyria can only be replaced if she dies, then the kyrios MUST remarry as soon as possible, or the Kyrios dies then the next Kyrios’ wife will be Kyria.
• The Kyria must make sure all the slaves are doing their jobs.
• She must teach teenage girls how to cook, clean and read
• She is NOT allowed to raise the children. That is the slaves job.
• The Kyria is forbidden from having affairs outside the marriage. If she caught performing any romantic interaction with someone other than her husband by someone in the Oikos she will be divorced and removed from the Oikos.
• If she becomes pregnant with another man’s baby and the child grows up to have a different hair colour from both the Kyrios and the kyria, the child and the Kyria will both be divorced and removed from the Oikos.
• A Kyria is only allowed to leave the house if she is accompanied by a male member of the Oikos and has her head covered.

2.) The Kyrios
• The Kyrios is only member of the Oikos who is allowed a job
• It is his job to not only provide an income for the Oikos but also network with other men
• He must host symposia parties – these are parties in which only men are invited. Women are forbidden to attend. These parties make the host more influential in the community
• He arranges marriages between his children and others outside the Oikos
• The Kyrios can openly have affairs with single women and slaves. But if he is caught having an affair with a married woman, he and his wife (the kyria) will both be removed from the Oikos
• The Kyrios can only be replaced if he dies or is removed from the Oikos. The Kyrios must be replaced by the most skilled male in the Oikos.
• May only interact with the Kyria and males who are children or older

3.) The Male Slaves
• Male slaves jobs are to garden, to paint and to fix broken objects in the house.
• Male slaves must cook meals for the male members of the Oikos
• Elderly male slaves will teach male children various other skills
• They are forbidden from having an affair with any female member of the Oikos. If caught then he and the female will be removed from the Oikos.
• If the slave impregnates an unmarried member of the Oikos, she and the slave will be removed from the Oikos.
• If a male slave impregnates a married member of the Oikos, he and the woman will only be removed from the Oikos if the child’s hair does not match the female’s or the husband of female’s.
• Male slaves may have children with other female slaves. But slaves cannot be married. The children of these slaves will be slaves themselves. This is a useful way of getting more slaves without having to buy them.

4.) Female slaves
• Role is to supervise babies and toddlers
• It is their job to do the shopping
• They must cook meals for the female members of the Oikos and other slaves
• They must clean the house
• If a female slave becomes pregnant with another slaves child. That child will become a slave.
• If a female slave becomes pregnant with a member of the Oikos’ child, then that child will also become a slave.

5.) Female members of the Oikos
• Once children they must be taught to read, cook and clean by their mother
• Once they’re teenagers they must be betrothed as soon as possible (get a boyfriend)
• Once a young adult they must be married to their betrothed
• Once married the player must remove 500 simoleons from their household funds as a dowry
• Once married the female will be removed from the Oikos
• Forbidden to speak to male members of the Oikos
• Forbidden to have romantic relationships with someone other than their betrothed. If caught they will be removed from the Oikos
• If they become pregnant at any time before marriage they will be removed from the Oikos

6.) Male members of the Oikos
• Once children they must learn to read, paint, play the piano, play the violin etc. The more skilled the boy becomes the better chance they have at becoming the Kyrios
• Once teenagers they must be betrothed (find a girlfriend)
• Once a young adult they must marry their betrothed
• Their wife will join the Oikos.
• They are free to openly have romantic relationships with slaves or other single women, however if they have an affair with a married woman and are caught they will be removed from the Oikos
• Any children they have with a slave will also become slaves
• Forbidden from speaking to any female member of the Oikos once children

7.) Illegitimate children
• If the Kyria becomes pregnant with a child who is not her husband’s then it is an illegitimate child.
• However the husband will only be able to tell if it is an illegitmate child if the child grows up and it’s hair colour is different to both the Kyria and the Kyrios’. If the Kyrios finds out the child is not his then he will remove the Kyria and the child from the Oikos.
• If the Kyrios does not find out the child is illegitimate then the child will be raised like any other child in the Oikos
• A illegitimate male child could potentially become the Kyrios.

Aims of the challenge:
1.) Have as many slaves as you can afford – purchasing a slave (adding a sim to your household to be a slave) costs 800 simoleons. However there are other ways of getting slaves such as if two slaves have a child, or a female slave has member of the Oikos’s illegitimate child etc.
2.) To have as big and as decorated a house as you can afford
3.) For the kyrios to make as many friends as possible
4.) To become as wealthy as possible.

See how many generations you can continue this challenge for!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Jul 2017 at 10:47 PM
I may do this, but I'd like to see someone else do it first.
Test Subject
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 12:04 AM
This looks really cool. I'll try doing it when I have the time.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 6:19 PM
It looks interesting but other than locking doors I can't figure out how you would keep people out of certain places. I love the house design though. Locking doors you either lock to all but one person or you keep it open to the household so you would spend a lot of time locking and unlocking doors or you would have to set everyone's autonomy to nothing and having Sims stand around while you tell them what to do drives me crazy.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ladykelien
It looks interesting but other than locking doors I can't figure out how you would keep people out of certain places. I love the house design though. Locking doors you either lock to all but one person or you keep it open to the household so you would spend a lot of time locking and unlocking doors or you would have to set everyone's autonomy to nothing and having Sims stand around while you tell them what to do drives me crazy.
I believe there's a mod you can get so you can put gender filters on locks.
Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 3:39 AM

I'm not sure, but I think the queens only door (looks like a bathroom door) has a "female only" system or something along those lines. the same with the kings only door, but with males only instead of females. But hey, what do I know?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Astrocake7
I'm not sure, but I think the queens only door (looks like a bathroom door) has a "female only" system or something along those lines. the same with the kings only door, but with males only instead of females. But hey, what do I know?

you apparently know a lot. I forgot about those.
Test Subject
#8 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 8:21 PM
With the clubs add on you could make all the males into a club and restrict access to the room to only the club. Building isn't really my strong suit, has anyone else finished an oikos and is willing to submit it to the gallery?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 11:59 PM Last edited by ladykelien : 16th Sep 2017 at 8:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Aurora365
With the clubs add on you could make all the males into a club and restrict access to the room to only the club. Building isn't really my strong suit, has anyone else finished an oikos and is willing to submit it to the gallery?

Im starting on one now. Just going all of it again so I know what I can do.

Update: Its hard to make 50k go far enough for this build. I am going to have to start all over as I spent too much just on the fence. So, its back to the drawing board just know that if you use it when its finished you will have to move your family into an empty lot give them the 50 k then move them into the house.
Test Subject
#10 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 9:59 PM Last edited by iyannaw : 18th Sep 2017 at 11:38 PM.
Im starting on one now. Just going all of it again so I know what I can do.

Update: Its hard to make 50k go far enough for this build. I am going to have to start all over as I spent too much just on the fence. So, its back to the drawing board just know that if you use it when its finished you will have to move your family into an empty lot give them the 50 k then move them into the house.

Yea That's been my problem too. There's few fences I like that fit the challenge and they're pretty expensive so I might cheat a tiny bit and set the funds to 50000 after I buy the fence if that's okay.
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 7:32 AM

I think you can lock the door for everyone except this household member, then, select another household member, click the door and unlock the door for the selected household member. This way you can choose who is allowed to enter the room. In one of my games I have locked the main bedroom door for all kids, otherwise they always went to do their homework on their parent bed.
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Sep 2017 at 4:21 PM
Hi! I've done this challenge and I can assure you that it is really fun! (Although I cheated and did put a fridge in the Andron, because I got rid of my male slave because I was out of room and needed another female slave (had a toddler, a child and a Kyria in the Gnaikon). Try this challenge I can support it!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 7:01 PM Last edited by ladykelien : 2nd Oct 2017 at 7:24 PM.
Okay so I've been working on the build and I noticed you never did give specifics for the Symposium. I know it is supposed to be for entertaining and eating with guests so I did the best I could with it but if you could go in and edit it so you include that explanation it would be great!

Edit: I uploaded the house under Okios Challenge House. Its just the basic what you have to have for three people. You'll have to add the other rooms later