Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 9:50 PM Last edited by Gremily_ : 7th Jun 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Default Hullabaloo 'Hood - Clean Neighborhood and SC4 Template
Awhile back I attempted to create a custom 'hood titled "Cape Sinclaire." And it was a total disaster.
BUT, now that I've had some time to do a reinstall of TS2: UC, wipe my downloads folder, and become better versed in creating clean and empty hoods, I've decided to get back into the swing of things with a new little place (Name TBD, but for now we're calling it Hullabaloo).

Previously, there was a lot of gnashing of teeth regarding getting my 'hoods to be compatible with other people's games because of the Store Edition/UC mumbo jumbo that I had to navigate my way around. I also goofed on using stealth hoods and renaming files...It's a little embarrassing, but it was all a learning experience. Before I get into creating lots and populating Hullabaloo, I wanted to get some feedback on the bare hood and its SC4 template. I also thought it might be good to check and make sure it actually appears in other's games with no conflicts.

Here are some (albeit really terrible quality) overhead screenshots of the little town:

Still thinking of a storyline/possible characters, and hopefully I'll get to share this again later on once I've developed things more. I'm getting a Riverview (TS3) kind-of vibe so far. (For the record: I didn't realize in creating the terrain that the river looks very similar to the one in Riverview! )

I'm almost positive you'll need a camera mod to see the majority of the map anyways. Most custom 'hoods do, anyways. I use Gunmod's Neighborhood camera.
I have all of MATY's noregen mods in place, although I didn't ship that with this file. If you have these, zero character files should show up.
The neighborhood's been changed to N264, which checks out in the repository. All shows up well in my game.
I also have UC. No store edition this time, though.

Thanks in advance for checkin' this out. Let me know if you come across anything strange, or if I need to fix anything before proceeding with creating lots and adding 'hood deco.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  N264.zip (12.85 MB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Neighborhood 264 - AKA "Hullabaloo." Extract the file "N264" and plop it in your Documents>EA Games>Sims 2>Neighborhoods folder.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 12:21 PM Last edited by pannisim : 8th Jun 2017 at 4:12 PM. Reason: Feedback!!!
Downloaded, will check and report back later.

Okay, so I put it in my AGS, and it showed up fine. Took some pics to. (Click spoiler)

Also, about the stealth hood thing. Do you have AGS ?

If you do, then renaming the freetime hobbyneighbourhood folder willl fix your issue.
Space Pony
#3 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 5:15 PM
Yes, you have all the stealth hoods attached, and as with UC you cannot use AGS, use this method to disable all the stealth hoods http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...04&postcount=11

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 9:17 PM Last edited by Gremily_ : 8th Jun 2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Fixed the Stealth Hoods yaaay
Bless you both! And thank you for that link!
I'm really glad that was caught before I started building. Phew.

Also, I have a question about personal preferences:
I was planning on creating my hood without any CC, just for the sake of keeping the clutter out of everyone's downloads folder. But do people want 'hoods with CC? I just don't know if having it or not would impact how people play or enjoy my creation. I'm sure people could add their own CC in if they wish, but I feel like using no CC would expand my audience. At the same time, though, I wouldn't want it to be too much like a Maxis 'hood, ya know?
Thoughts?

Edit: Yeehaw I fixed it. My "N264" folder only has empty characters, lots, and storytelling folders; a thumbnail folder with the family thumbnails file; the neighborhood template, and the thumbnail image.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:03 PM
No CC means you make the neighbourhood more likely to be attractive to downloaders. When I made Polgannon, I did include CC but for reasons. A lot of people are ok with that too. I think the main thing is to be clear what is needed and not go overboard. I supplied an extra (optional) file with the required CC.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 12:39 AM
It won't be like a Maxis hood, because it's your hood. You work to fill your artistic vision (and don't kid yourself, building a neighborhood in this game involves artistic vision!), and it will be distinctively yours, and it will have its audience. If you need a certain piece of CC in order to do what you want to do, then the people who want what you want to do won't mind having the CC. If you can fill the vision without it, though, then not having it will appeal to a wider audience.

The thing to make up your mind about is, that once someone else downloads it, it's not your neighborhood anymore, it's the downloader's. They don't have to adhere to your artistic vision. They're going to do what they want to with it. Including playing it without the CC you consider necessary! Remembering this should help with the cost-benefit analysis of including something.

Although building a hood and creating characters without CC is challenging, it also leads to the discovery of cool things you didn't realize were in the vanilla game. And you're going to learn so much doing this, either way!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 3:01 PM
Trust me, no CC is a great way to utilize maxis things that you have always ignored. My main game, that's CC heavy. But this new subhood that I am currently setting up ? CC free, except a few plants and all. It made me realize that one can do interesting things with only Maxis items.

And when you make a hood, a part of you, your mindset, your aesthetic views, it all blends together to get a hood up. So no, it will never be like a maxis hood. So don't worry about that.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 11:25 PM
This is all extremely helpful to know, and encouraging!!
I think I'm gonna continue with this challenge of a CC-less hood, even though I just adore iCad's matching floors and doors and stairs. We'll see how this goes!
I've created two apartment buildings so far; one lot has luxury townhouses, while the other building has loft-style apartments. I've finally decided on an architecture style for this half of the neighborhood, and I can't wait to share what I have! 'Hood deco is currently a little wonky, I've been trying to figure out what kind of trees to use.

I'll try to post some pictures later of what I have! Thank you all!!
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 2:02 AM
I've got some images to share, woooo!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Jun 2017 at 7:51 AM
You can put a door from the garage to the apartment and the garage will be recognized as part of the apartment. This is the only exception to the "one door to the outside world" rule of apartment building.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)