Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 9:58 PM Last edited by broomhilda61 : 21st Jan 2018 at 1:22 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default {SOLVED}How to create picture frames/canvases or find some for these type of picture frames
Yes, I am back again lol..

2 things..
First I would love to learn how to create my own picture frames/canvases..I have some pictures I will show here in a bit on what I need/want to create for.
Second if that can't be done then I need to find picture frames/canvases to fit these picture in..

I have a lot of picture frames/canvases that are all one size and split apart like these..but I need them just like what these pictures are..

Now a friend of mine had given me a couple of different meshes that I thought would work..but they are not.. here is what they look like after I used them..now she has the flu right now so I told her to just get well first before continuing with this project..but I figured well maybe I can learn to do something like this myself..

I have absolutely no idea how do this..just learning how to recolor has been a big ordeal with me

Thank you for your help in advance :lovestruc

This isn't really solved but I'm not sure what the answer is except to learn to do this myself..and right now after looking at tutorials on meshing that's not happening anytime soon..sorry to wait everyone's time
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 10:16 PM
picture frame feature was introduced in Freetime and carried forward to Apartment Life.
feature is applicable to pictures that are on walls; and available through the picture's pie menu. Frame sub-menu.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 10:49 PM
Maybe you have misunderstood me..I am either looking for meshes like that I can use to recolor..or learn how to create these like of meshes so I can use them..for my recoloring..
Alchemist
#4 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 12:25 AM
recolors of the frame options?
various wiki sites have tutorials for recoloring in general. this site's wiki is one.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 12:47 AM
Now I'm a bit confused - do you mean you want to make a new mesh or just add a new picture (texture) to an existing mesh? I think when you say picture frames, people are thinking of the wooden frame that goes round the outside (well I am anyway).

There are tutorials for both meshing and recolouring on here - as long as we know what you want, we can point you to them.

I would guess, btw, with those pictures you show in the first post, that the person who made them might have used the slidey cheat (snapobjectstogrid false). I say that because some of the meshes are repeated. With that cheat you can slide things closer together.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 12:52 AM
So were the meshes you found in this thread no good?

Meshing tutorials are here:
Tutorials:Object Creation Tutorialswiki
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 12:54 AM
Hmmmm - now I'm even more confused.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 3:37 AM
I forgot about that thread simsample..sorry..no the meshes that Carmen found didn't work..the last two pictures are the meshes that Carmen had found for me..but as you can see they are not working with the pictures I wanted to use..and I have no way of fixing them to work..

lol maxon..ok see how these pictures are different sizes and shapes..these are pictures I found with Google..so I would like to take these and use them for pictures in Sims2..but I haven't found any meshes that would work for them..so would either like to learn how to make these kind of meshes or find some already done that would work..

I hope I explained it a bit better..

Well forget that meshing part of this project..just read the SimsWiki on it..and not ready..I'm just going to put solved on this as well..or just delete the topic since I already have one up for the same thing..
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 12:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Jan 2018 at 2:02 PM.
That's why Simsample linked to the object creation tutorials. They'll teach you how to make a new mesh.

These two show the basics:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=104795
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3133512

As I said in your first topic about this, you can extract the mesh from a picture you like, and edit this so it looks like the picture you want. The object tutorials will show you most of what you need to know, but clone the mesh you want to work with instead of whatever mesh is shown in the tutorial. For wallhangings you have to clone a picture, or it won't snap to the wall. Choose one that is already recolorable ingame, so you don't have to figure out how to make it recolorable.

---

If you're not ready for making new meshes yet, the best solution is to work around a UV-map. Recoloring difficult meshes without one is a pain...

For the meshes you've found, it's a good idea to extract the UVmap so you know which area you're supposed to put texture on. When you've done that, you need to cut out the individual pictures and shape them so they covers the area of the individual boxes in the UVmap.

The object creation tutorials have this covered, but in short, this is roughly how to extract the UVmap:
- Open the mesh file in SimPE - Go to the GMDC
- Extract with the "export" button down to the left (SimPE extracts as the mesh format known as "obj")
In your mesh program of choice:
- Open or import the obj file
- Find the UVmap (this will be different from program to program, so you may need to find a tutorial for the meshing program you're using)
- Extract the UV map as a picture (again, different from program to program)
(in Milkshape you can't do this, but programs like Wings3D or Blender have the option of extracting UVmaps. On my laptop I prefer Wings3D because you get picture options - PNG gives lines on a transparent background, and JPG gives the full map)

Tutorial for extracting UVmap with Wings3D:
http://www.wings3d.com/ (download program - it's free)
- File --> import --> wavefront (.obj)
- find and choose mesh, click "open"
- In the "Geometry Graph" window to the right, click on the group you want to extract the UVmap for. This will be marked in red in the 3D window.
- Right-click in the 3D window, and click "UVmapping" (close to the bottom). The UVmap should pop up.
- Right-click inside the UV-map, choose "create texture"
- Choose the 1024x1024 or 512x512 option from the dropdown list (depending on how big you want your texture to be), and click "OK"
- The UVmap changes to white with black lines (marked aprts of the mesh shows red in the map).
- in the "outliner" window to the right, you'll see a texture named "auvBG" - this is the UVmap. Right-click, choose "export".
- Find the folder you want to save the texture in (you can rename it under "filename").
- Under "file type", choose either JPG (for a full texture with background) or PNG (for lines with transparent background). Click on "save".

You can also use Wings3D to test the recolor (I often do that). If you use layers, save the layered texture as a Tiff file, and import it to Wings3D, and put it on the mesh there (I can provide a quick tutorial if you need that). Saves you a lot of going in and out of the game to check the result.

Now you can use the UVmap to line up the individual pictures with your painting/photoediting program of choice.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 1:09 PM
The meshes will work for the 2 pictures you want to use. You need to cut out the areas that are the actual picture and size them to fit the texture for the mesh. It looks like you're using the entire image, including the colored border.

The first mesh will work for the flowers, the second for the elephants. (Well, either mesh would work for either picture but there would be a lot of squishing and stretching without editing the images quite a bit.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 9:00 PM
Thank you mustluvcatz..I didn't think of that..

But this is what the meshes look like..so not sure how to fit each section on this..

How would you fit those pictures on these meshes..without knowing where everything is supposed to go though..??
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 10:28 PM
I never thought of those..omgosh..thank you Huge..

Also, I still can't get the meshes for the frames into SimPE..just the canvases..I have clicked on every package in there..to get the meshes..but nothing comes up..

I will try something different...maybe I am just doing it all wrong..?? Still learning SimPE..and it's been a struggle with anything other than the in game items..and MysticRain's pillows..finally figured that out lol..
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 20th Jan 2018 at 11:00 PM
I'm wondering if you're mixing up ideas about meshes and textures. Meshes are the 3-D objects and the shape can't be changed. I get the impression you seem to be thinking that by using pictures of various shapes that the pictures you see in game should take those shapes. That's not what happens. What you have to do is adapt the shapes of the pictures you use to the pre-existing shape of the mesh.

You can tell how the texture 'maps' to the shape by looking either at the UV map or a copy of the texture extracted from the game and/or file you're using as your base. For example, I've attached a copy of the texture for the Flatiron Building picture from the game - the bit that shows on the front is obvious there, it's the rectangle at the lower left. I also attach a recolour for a set of paintings I really should get my finger out and get finished and you can see I've replaced the picture of the flatiron building with a picture from Mon Mon Cats (a designer whose website I like). I've also replaced some other bits but that's relatively unimportant. That's what you have to do - you need to adapt the picture you're using to fit the texture.

Sorry if you understand this already but I thought I'd post anyway.
Screenshots

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#15 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by broomhilda61
Also, I still can't get the meshes for the frames into SimPE..just the canvases..I have clicked on every package in there..to get the meshes..but nothing comes up...

In object workshop you select open instead of start. Then choose the mesh. In the case of my frames linked above, choose the frame mesh that has MASTER in the name. There is one in the folder Traditional Frames and one in Simple Frames.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 8:11 AM Last edited by broomhilda61 : 21st Jan 2018 at 11:24 AM.
I just thought of something..I posted wrong..HugeLunatic..I am so sorry..

I just realized what I am doing wrong...I'm an idiot..lol..ok..I got it now..I started to write a whole thing how I couldn't get the frames in SimPE..I can do that..

I am going to go try your frames with these pictures..I will come back and show you..I have been thinking all to wrong on what I was supposed to do..sorry..

Maxon..thank you..even if I already know how to do something..it don't hurt to have it brought up again for me anyway..lol I tend to brain fart..or just have tunnel vision and think one way..and not look at the bigger picture..thank you for your help..

Let me try this again..and if it works will post solved..lol..I'm such an idiot

Thank you both Maxon and HugeLunatic..for your help.. :lovestruc

EDIT:

Ok now I know why I have been having trouble with your frames..I went into SimPE..and got the frame meshes..I started with the Beach White..well I have to be doing something wrong..because I don't want to recolor the frames just use them..and all that came up when I got them in Photoshop is the frames to recolor..I am sooo confused..and lost..

Ok also did the ones in the Traditional Frames and one in Simple Frames. still showing to recolor them not use them for pictures..???????

EDIT:

Please be patient with me..I can be an idiot sometimes and I tend to rant and rave..and cry..then I get it...lol..CBS has been so patient with me on my rants, raves and crying knowing sooner or later I will come up with the answer..we need some oh the shame smilies lol..can we use our own smilies lol

Anyway..I figured it out..it's not the frame..it's the pictures that are coming with the frames that I recolor..oh we really need "oh the shame smilie"..but these are all like the canvases large..and so how in the world do I get those pictures I want to recolor in those frames..???? I will figure it out..this has to work..somehow..

I am bound and determined to use those pictures for recoloring..one way or the other..

EDIT:

No, all I am getting is the canvases without the frames..and only the four large ones no small ones..and when I tried to put those pictures in the smallest of the large canvases it look terrible..

I really need to learn how to make my own..

I'm just going to put solved..although it's not solved..so depressed on this right now..

EDIT:

I forgot to thank others for their help and I am so sorry I missed you all..

THANK YOU
*mdsb759
*maxon
*simsample
*simmer22--I didn't see the 2 tutorials that you posted..and went and looked at them..the first one is "Object Creation for Beginners" 65 pages printed out
*mustluvcatz
*HugeLunatic--I'm sorry for being confused on your canvases/frames..I'm still going to try and find a way of using them..but just not sure..yet..I have only used the canvases..and I do love them..it's just they are so big..for the 4 main ones..and can't figure out how to use the smaller ones and the frames..yet..sorry..