Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 11:58 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can a power outage cause corruption?
I don't know if I'm being paranoid here but there was a power cut yesterday whilst I was on the neighborhood view. I wasn't saving or anything, but now I'm worried my hood is corrupted somehow. Should I restore from a backup or is it fine?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmerlu
I don't know if I'm being paranoid here but there was a power cut yesterday whilst I was on the neighborhood view. I wasn't saving or anything, but now I'm worried my hood is corrupted somehow. Should I restore from a backup or is it fine?

A backup is of course the safest to do.
Are there any signs of corruption or haven't you looked yet?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 1:15 PM
I checked hood checker, there's no new errors I don't think. There's no signs of corruption, there's no actual sims even in the hood yet so I suppose nothing happened. If I was to restore from a backup (cause I only backed up the hood), should I delete the hood in game then just put the backed up file back?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 1:30 PM
It's possible for a power outage to damage/corrupt something, but not necessarily. I use a battery backup which gives time to save and exit and turn off my computer in a storm or power outage.

If you want to replace from backup, yes, delete and paste the new one in.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#5 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 1:50 PM
If you choose to use a battery backup, remember that the units may have "E-Z Touch" push-button switches that are not resistant to curious paws or fingers. Yes, I learned this the Hard Way when one of my cats managed to shut mine off.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 20th Dec 2017 at 3:08 PM
We get frequent, brief outages; never noticed it caused a problem. Anyone have more info why it COULD corrupt?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 10:50 PM
Yes, it could corrupt your save (neighbourhood) if the game was writing to file when the computer powered down.

In Sims 2, changes to lots need to be actively saved, but changes to the neighbourhood itself (hood deco, elevation changes, trees etc) are saved as they are done. So, if you were making a change that caused the neighborhood.package to be written to as the power failed, you could potentially find your neighbourhood won't load the next time. There won't be sim data corruption though, unless the computer is powered down as you are saving a lot.

As long as the neighbourhood will load, the chances are it's okay.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 10:58 PM
My computer crashed as I was placing some hood deco, when I reloaded half of it hadn't placed but everything else was fine.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Dec 2017 at 11:07 PM
That's good to know- maybe the changes are not written to file until the hood is exited.
Alchemist
#10 Old 22nd Dec 2017 at 11:40 PM
power outages can damage files; if those files are being saved when power goes out.
not sure about corruption.

probably check if you can load the neighborhood. if you can, neighborhood is probably ok. if not, probably replace neighborhood with a back up.