Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2015 at 4:34 AM
Default What's Your Worst Dining Out Experience?
Ewwww ... I had mine yesterday at a restaurant which had amazing reviews - it was supposed to be Vietnamese Sticky Pork Salad

looking a bit like this

The taste was fine but the salad was under dressed leaving it dry and texture wise something like a cross between old carpet and hay ...

my tripadvisor review was scathing!!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st May 2015 at 5:45 AM
My husband and I went to a [cough] Mexican restaurant in North Carolina.

We ordered Chiles Rellenos. What we got was a green chili stuffed with velveeta cheese, and baked inside cornbread! And OMG, topped with some Hormel chili.

My husband actually asked the waiter, "What the FUCK is this???"
When he insisted that it was a chili relleno, we got up and walked out.

Another time was in Pocatello, Idaho. We lived there for about a year right after I got my RN.
We tried to eat out. Three Fridays in a row...three different restaurants...roaches. Roaches we could see!
I can only imagine what was goin' on in the kitchen...

Naturally, we would leave without ordering or eating. I get the willies just thinkin' on it. The only food we ever ate in Pocatello was food WE prepared from food we inspected.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2015 at 6:11 AM
I've walked out of a few places before now - one place tried to serve me oysters au naturel that were on ice but albeit room temperature warm .... I suspect if I'd eaten them I'd be dead from food poisoning by now.

However, roaches ... ye gods ... It makes me truly wonder what went on in that kitchen too!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st May 2015 at 12:00 PM
Ugh - roaches. Makes me glad I live in the UK. I mean we have roaches of course (aren't they everywhere?) but the climate is generally cooler here and insect activity is correspondingly lower than in warner climes. But seeing roaches in a restaurant: nope, nope, nope.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st May 2015 at 1:58 PM
Once when I was on a trip with my class. A few of us including some teachers found a restaurant that looked promising. Everyone were unhappy with what they'd gotten. The foood was very late, and when it was finally ready they'd mixed up orders and nothing looked like what we'd thought we would get. My food was supposed to come with a mixed salad, but was 90% corn and bell pepper (which I hated back then), and several of the others didn't get what they ordered, or there was something vastly different between what they thought they'd ordered and what they actually got. I think all of us were pretty much let down, but we didn't have much tunme until we had to get back we were going home by plane that day), so we just ate.

A few years back I and my boyfriend (now my ex) were just enjoying the beautiful weather and thought we'd get some ice cream (the kind they say they make in the store). So there we're stting with one ice cream each, when I suddenly feel something very hard and strange in mine. While my boyfriend is looking away, I pick it out, and it turns out to be a large piece of plastic, probably from the stirring machine or some such. I threw it away secretively, since I didn't want to spoil the happy moment. Besides, I've found worse things in ice cream - once I found something that looked very much like a false nail, but since I sat together with my family and one of them probably wouldn't even dream of touching ice cream again if she knew what I'd found, that too was thrown away in secret. I still love ice cream, weirdly enough...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st May 2015 at 2:00 PM
I was eating sushi at a small restaurant that no longer exists and I ordered the ikura, which is salmon caviar. Sad to say, I was in no position to spit it out. I didn't gauge the salty concentration and had to swallow it down, but boy, was I worn out.

I couldn't spit it out because that would be an offense to the itamae, or sushi chef.

So, to prevent shame on both sides, I swallowed the caviar and let dad have the remaining piece.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 1st May 2015 at 2:09 PM
I think my favourite so far was the time my vegetarian friend found a raw steak under his garlic bread.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
#8 Old 1st May 2015 at 8:04 PM
All eating out is a nightmare for me because I have Selective Eating Disorder or Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder.
Scholar
#9 Old 1st May 2015 at 8:08 PM
Going to Bob Evans two weeks ago. Seriously guys, don't go there. Their food has become complete shit.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd May 2015 at 12:03 AM
Actually the worst dinning experience I had was not about the food...does that count? In my late 30's I had gone on a few dates with a guy. First time at a nice place, after the meal (which I don't remember at all) he TOOK OUT HIS UPPER TEETH and rinsed them in his water. He kept chatting away like it was nothing...I think I just sat there in awe. Couldn't get home fast enough.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd May 2015 at 12:51 AM Last edited by HarVee : 3rd May 2015 at 1:58 PM.
When you see your father eat a piece of toasted bread and his loose tooth falls out of his mouth and onto the table, then you'll know the meaning of a mortifying dining experience.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#12 Old 3rd May 2015 at 7:48 AM
Not technically "dining out" but once I was at a wedding (a long time ago) and I must've eaten something with fish in it, which I'm allergic to, because I was in agonizing pain for hours afterwards until I finally threw up.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com