Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 2:54 AM
Default Moment of Truth
This year, FOX introduced a new show Moment of Truth wherein contestants spend time in the "hot seat" and answer a series of 21 increasingly personal and embarrassing questions to receive cash prizes if they tell the truth.

Prior to the show, a contestant is hooked up to a polygraph and asked more than 50 questions; there is no polygraph testing conducted during the actual show. Without knowing the results of the polygraph, he or she is asked 21 of those same questions again on the show, each becoming progressively more personal in nature. If the contestant answers honestly as confirmed by the polygraph, he or she moves on to the next question; however, should a contestant lie in his or her answer (as determined by the polygraph) or simply refuse to answer a question after it has been asked, the game ends and the contestant loses all of the prize money accumulated.

The show has broken some relationships and strengthened others. Some of the season's questions included:
  • Have you ever parked in a handicapped spot?
  • Do you believe you are better looking than all of your friends?
  • Have you ever stolen from your parents?
  • Have you ever regretted marrying your husband?
  • Do you blame your father for tearing your family apart?
  • Would you respect your husband more if he made more money?
So what are your thoughts? Do you love or hate the show? What do you think of the contestants/host/audience/questions/answers? Would you ever go on the show?

Formerly known as boolPropped
Advertisement
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 5:12 PM
When i first heard of this show I though ' Woah I think they have taken gameshows too far with this', but after watching it a while I find it sorta entertaining seeing people get embarrassed.
Yeah I know I should Sad but Its thier own choice for going on the show.
Personaly I wouldn't though. There are other ways of earning money :gonemad:
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 9:25 PM
No one has ever gotten past 100,000

I think it's fixed and scripted.
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 9:50 PM
i've never seen it, but it sounds entertaining. the questions are a bit probing, but the contestants choose to be on the show so its their own fault :P
#5 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 9:50 PM
I've watched it a couple times, its pretty entertaining. I get embarassed for people when i watch. haha. I thought it was horrible when that one blonde lady pretty much ruined her marriage answering all those questions about her ex with her husband cheering her on. Man that was some *! And she still didn't leave with any money!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xxcali_canelaxx
And she still didn't leave with any money!

That's what I hate about the show. It's bad enough that the contestants to voluntarily ruin their relationships, but then to not get any money out of it!

LOL okay, that sounds really heartless! But you know what I mean...

Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 11:06 PM
The thing about that show is that the questions are asked way in advance. The contestants already know which questions could be asked, just not how they actually scored on the polygraph. Whoever is crazy enough to go on this show has to be willing to say "Screw it!" and lose every relationship/job/friendship just to earn the money. I don't see the point in answering enough questions to do some major damage & then stop halfway through. If you're going to throw it all away, at least go for it and get the money.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by naplesstevens
Whoever is crazy enough to go on this show has to be willing to say "Screw it!" and lose every relationship/job/friendship just to earn the money. I don't see the point in answering enough questions to do some major damage & then stop halfway through. If you're going to throw it all away, at least go for it and get the money.

People are really greedy. And I think a lot of couples compromise about it beforehand like "Just answer everything, we won't get mad at each other for anything, let's just win that money." Seems like a good idea, but it never works out. And that's why I think people go onto the show all confident and then quit or lie or whatever.

It really is an ingenious concept for a show because it attracts the dumb, greedy people. That's good television! :p

#9 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 11:28 PM
I am not a big fan of it. I mean spilling out something that would possibly end your relatioship with anyone just for money? It just seems un-neaded. I know it's "good televsion" but I think I am going to stick with other reality shows. I don't like seeing someone embarresed.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 11:32 PM
P.T. Barnum siad there's a sucker born every minute (so about .4% if you work it out but that is neither here nor there.) If these suckers want to go on television when they ahve been informed of the risks of said television, then they can entertain the other 99.6% of us who aren't suckers. Yay america!

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#11 Old 3rd Apr 2008 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by boolPropped
It really is an ingenious concept for a show because it attracts the dumb, greedy people. That's good television! :p

Couldn't have said it better myself!
#12 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 12:04 AM
Me and my boyfriend religiously watch that show. It's so funny. People will do anything for money, and it's just proof. I'm not going to lie, the one with the woman who lost because she thought she was a good person made me laugh so hard.

Stupid mindless entertainment...we all need it sometimes.
#13 Old 5th Apr 2008 at 9:53 AM
I've seen that show a few times and like Catwalk said people will do anything for money. I can't believe people put marriages and relationships with friends and family at risk for money that they'll spend in about 5 minutes. But I will admit it is entertaining to watch =P
#14 Old 11th Apr 2008 at 11:58 PM
Someone took out all the extra parts of this show, all the dramatic pauses and commercials, and it ended up taking about two minutes.

I watched this show a few times, then it just got...blah.
#15 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 11:16 PM
I think it might be taking trivia a wee bit too far.
Ruining your marriage, your life, for 100,000 isn't worth it,
or shouldn't be too some people.
I think what's hidden is hidden for reasons, and they shouldn't have
the right to ask about your significant other.
:/
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 8th Jul 2008 at 7:50 AM
To me, this show is like coming up on some huge train wreck; you know you shouldn't gawk, but you slow down and do it anyway. xD

And sadly, I know plenty of people who would be willing to ruin their marriage or relationship with their parents for 100,000 dollars. Actually I could name a few from my own family, lol. >>;