Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#3576 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 3:01 PM
Had a scary problem the other day. One of my couples went on vacation. As the female was pregnant and very much hidden, I tried to cancel it, but was't quick enough on the draw. This led to their being stuck there. They had a room but couldn't use it. As their vacation was to be six days, I decided to just let them starve. But, naturally, that couldn't happen. They just stood in the lobby for six looong days (even at fastest speed), pointing to their stomachs and mouths. It was as much fun as it sounds. I counted the seconds until the van would just show up to pick them up and take them home. By this time I didn't care if they died in front of the mailbox when they got out of the van.

But, nooooo. The van never came. I couldn't enter the home lot to summon them home. I was at a loss. Finally, I went to good old October Goodie and installed a summoning mirror in his house. He summoned them and they moved in with him. But their former home and inhabitants were still grayed out on the neighborhood screen and I couldn't enter the lost. So, October was kind enough to summon them as well. Now, they are all packed together like the old woman in the shoe, but, WHEW!

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#3577 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 5:16 PM
Sims can't die on vacation???
Mad Poster
#3578 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 5:22 PM
I reckon not. Mine hadn't eaten in six days and one of them was pregnant.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#3579 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:36 PM
I wonder what's with all the old threads being resurrected as of late. A zombie outbreak?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#3580 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 11:43 PM
smorbie, is that a known issue when pregnant sims go on vacation?
Alchemist
#3581 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I wonder what's with all the old threads being resurrected as of late. A zombie outbreak?
Probably people from school/college who are getting into the Sims on their summer break and finding old threads on google.
Theorist
#3582 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 1:19 AM
I've often wondered what secrets are written in the diary

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#3583 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 1:43 AM
Maybe so. I mean, sometimes *I* unwittingly resurrect old threads - despite the old thread warning.
Field Researcher
#3584 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:20 AM
*looks all around, lowers voice* Don't tell anyone, but I've never understood why resurrecting old threads bothers people as much as it seems to.
#3585 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:39 AM
Because in most everyone's mind if you have to go past page 1 (3 at the VERY most) in order to find a thread to say something in, then that takes a special kind of dedication bordering on troll-worthy. Now granted if it's a tutorial thread or something I could understand resurrecting that because all the info is in one place and making a new thread to talk about an old thread where all the info is is redundant.

Resurrecting a dead thread from 3 years with less than 3 pages in it means it wasn't very popular to begin with and def. not worth adding your two cents in years after the fact.
Scholar
#3586 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 4:00 AM
I have mixed feelings about that. While it seems fine to me to ask for help / post a solution in a related topic even if it’s old, it does seem weird to find a thread from 10 years ago and continue the discussion as if the last post were from yesterday.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Mad Poster
#3587 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 4:05 AM
That awkward moment when you ask a sim to watch your kids so you can go on a date to a community lot and then that sim you asked to watch your kids shows up at that community lot while you're having the date...
Mad Poster
#3588 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:12 AM
The vast majority of resurrects here on MTS are clearly not trolls, but people who found the thread and did not realize it was old. The idea that the only way to get to a thread is via the forum front page is ridiculous. I'll bet you a creation of your choice that these people don't sit going over every page back to three years ago only to find a post and post in it. It's not on purpose. They find a thread via search engine (be it google or mts' own search) and just don't notice that it's old. Yes there is a warning, but it's easy enough to miss.

Trolly resurrection of posts, yes, that's annoying. But I don't agree with the obsession of this forum to judge all resurrects the same, and the need to post telling people off for doing so. If it's a troll, telling them off is only doing what they want. And if it's not a troll, you'll make some well-meaning person feel bad and get scared off posting. If it seems like a honest mistake, let them know gently, and you might just get a new fun regular out of it. Really, what's the harm? Plenty of old threads have gotten resurrected and brought back to life information people found interesting, or started new interesting debates. This forum is active enough that dead threads soon become dead once again, even if resurrected.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#3589 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
smorbie, is that a known issue when pregnant sims go on vacation?

I have no idea. I believe I read something somewhere sometime that pregnant sims weren't supposed to go on vacation, but she wasn't pregnant when I booked the thing, and then, of course, I forgot I even planned one for them when she became pregnant. She's in my Monopoly communist hood and her pregnancy was unauthorized so I had to hide her. She lives in one of the trailer lot apartments, so their place is already small and she and her husband had infant twins and two housemates. So, it wasn't easy for me to wall off the one bedroom in the place for her to hide. I was so busy trying to help her keep the secret and raise the children, and I just forgot.

So, when I saw her fat her way out to van, I panicked, but figured I could have them check into the hotel and go straight home and maybe no harm would be done.

Alchemist
#3590 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
The vast majority of resurrects here on MTS are clearly not trolls, but people who found the thread and did not realize it was old. The idea that the only way to get to a thread is via the forum front page is ridiculous. I'll bet you a creation of your choice that these people don't sit going over every page back to three years ago only to find a post and post in it. It's not on purpose. They find a thread via search engine (be it google or mts' own search) and just don't notice that it's old. Yes there is a warning, but it's easy enough to miss.

Trolly resurrection of posts, yes, that's annoying. But I don't agree with the obsession of this forum to judge all resurrects the same, and the need to post telling people off for doing so. If it's a troll, telling them off is only doing what they want. And if it's not a troll, you'll make some well-meaning person feel bad and get scared off posting. If it seems like a honest mistake, let them know gently, and you might just get a new fun regular out of it. Really, what's the harm? Plenty of old threads have gotten resurrected and brought back to life information people found interesting, or started new interesting debates. This forum is active enough that dead threads soon become dead once again, even if resurrected.
Or they don't realize that it matters. The warning doesn't tell you not to post in an old thread, and they have something to say. I also agree some people are too brusque with new posters who make a minor mistake. It really doesn't hurt to be welcoming and explain the issue instead of scolding them for resurrecting an old thread or just posting "This should be in [Acryonym the new person won't recognize]."
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3591 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt

Except you are requested to be careful of that in Site Rules:

12. Do Not Bump Threads/No Threadcromancy: Do not post to an old thread just to bump it up to the top of the forum if you have nothing new to add, or to get it more visible (especially if it's your thread!) Don't resurrect old threads unless your comments are relevant and would be seen as a important addition to a thread. Continuing on a conversation dropped months ago is not a good idea - check dates.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...stingguidelines

I'm not saying you're wrong but the necromancy posts that consists of 'oh yes, me too' we could do without. The guideline, it seems to me, is there. If you're adding something useful, then raise the dead by all means. If not, well, don't.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Link Ninja
#3592 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:50 PM Last edited by Charmful : 26th Jun 2017 at 11:18 PM.
Then there are the threads that are kept on life support. I'm looking at you 'Hacks I'd like to see' thread

**Edit** my no means am I suggesting we get rid of it, I think it's just funny it's so old and still an active thread; useful, but old.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#3593 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 5:12 PM
I thought I had given that thread some life... but come on, we need to start working together to make the mods we want!
Mad Poster
#3594 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 5:15 PM
It's not on life support. It's just very long-lived.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#3595 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
I thought I had given that thread some life... but come on, we need to start working together to make the mods we want!
Why don't you start a brainstorming thread listing what you're interested in making, so others can pitch in with their own ideas, abilities etc.?
Alchemist
#3596 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 6:23 PM
I think the Hacks I'd like to See thread is still useful though. Not only can it give creators ideas, but sometimes, a hack is already out there that does what a simmer wants. It's almost like another WCIF thread.

But yes, we probably need to start catologing the ideas there (so we don't forget about them) and find some kind of way to work together on them.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#3597 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Why don't you start a brainstorming thread listing what you're interested in making, so others can pitch in with their own ideas, abilities etc.?

I have posted a brainstorming list in the modding forum, but so far it hasn't gotten any replies.
Mad Poster
#3598 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:47 PM
For what it matters, I have also resurrected a few older threads, but they were discussion threads in the first place and I made mention that they were old threads, so....I guess it's kind of okay in that case?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
#3599 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 9:50 PM
i didn't know there was a modding forum to start with.....

JDacapo I gave my thoughts on it, while technically not a modder in the advanced sense that most are i do have the capability of working out unforeseen issues with stuff so maybe my insight will be helpful to flesh it out more?
Mad Poster
#3600 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 10:12 PM
@SingleClawDesigns that would be awesome! If we can get some modders together, we can probably make a few mini-EPs that would make the likes of Chris Hatch proud.
Page 144 of 516