Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 1:41 PM
Default Problem with modular stairs
I have the following problem with building stairs:

There are 2 kinds of stairs, these object-like staircases and the modular stairs.
If I use modular stairs, it need 4 free fields in the floor to set a stair to the next lower floor.
If I use the other ones and the chead "moveobjects on", then are 3 fields enough.

But I have seen Maxis-Houses where are only 3 fields free above a modular stair.
The following is a picture of a modular stair (the cheapest one):

Are there any way to build modular stair this way?

Thanks for helping me!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 3:40 PM
You have to build the stairs first, then add the floor tile and walls after. That is what I found works for me.

goderguy
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 3:49 PM Last edited by gabilei123 : 22nd Apr 2017 at 4:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
You have to build the stairs first, then add the floor tile and walls after. That is what I found works for me.

Thank you, but could you please explain this step by step, because I think I did so, and it did not work in my game.
If I build the wall above the stair, I get an error message: "Can not be placed on other items.".
This is a translation from German, don't know the exact english error message. By the way I have used the cheat "moveobjects on".
Instructor
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gabilei123
Thank you, but could you please explain this step by step, because I think I did so, and it did not work in my game.
If I build the wall above the stair, I get an error message: "Can not be placed on walls.".
This is a translation from German, don't know the exact english error message. By the way I have used the cheat "moveobjects on".

You need to place a floor tile on the floor you want the stairs to descend from, at the spot you want the stairs to start. Do not place any other floor tiles or walls in the area you want the stairs to go at this time. Once you have placed the stairs successfully, you *should* then be able to place a floor tile on the floor above the last part of the stairs, and once you place the floor tile, then place the wall. I don't recall if you need "moveobjects on" or "moveobjects off," or if that even makes a difference. Good luck! If that doesn't work, perhaps someone else here can provide an explanation as to why, or help you with that needs to be done.

goderguy
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 4:38 PM
Thank you, I came like always until this point:

Placing a wall at the end of the three free tiles causes the above error message.
I would be thankful, if someone had an idea to avoid that.
Instructor
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 4:48 PM
You were able to place the tile, so you should be able to place the wall. I'm not sure why you can't. A solution for you is beyond my scope. Sorry!

goderguy
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 5:15 PM Last edited by gabilei123 : 22nd Apr 2017 at 5:44 PM.
Thank you for trying to help me.
Here I give you an documentation of my failure:

The try to set a wall causes the error message: "Can not be placed on other items.".

So I removed the stairs and sat the wall first. Now I will build the stairs again.

And now I get the new error message: "Can not be placed on walls.".

Using the cheat "moveobjects on" makes no difference (as you said).

I thougt, there could be a trick. But at you it seems to work simply whitout cheats and so. This surprises me.
If someone had an idea, why it don't work in my game, I would be glad.
Instructor
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 9:23 PM
I'm getting exactly the same results.

I can only think it's something in M&G, as I have houses in my hood that only have three blank tiles above the stairs but they were built with all EPs up to and including Bon Voyage. Having added M&G only recently, I can no longer build stairs like this.

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 9:47 PM Last edited by gabilei123 : 22nd Apr 2017 at 10:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
I'm getting exactly the same results.

I can only think it's something in M&G, as I have houses in my hood that only have three blank tiles above the stairs but they were built with all EPs up to and including Bon Voyage. Having added M&G only recently, I can no longer build stairs like this.

I almost believe, that this has never worked in my Game, because I try it for a long time, but with non-modular stairs it works.
However, I have houses in the neighborhood, where above the modular stairs only three tiles are free, and then there is a wall, but they are all made by Maxis.
I have not all EPs, maybe one of them, i don't have, is needed for this.
Until now I have always assumed that this does not work in anybody's game, and that one have to apply some trick to fix it, in case this would be possible at all.
So far, I still do not know much more.
Theorist
#10 Old 31st May 2017 at 12:54 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 31st May 2017 at 7:35 AM.
(Post deleted.) See my next post, #12 below.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st May 2017 at 4:19 AM
It can be done: http://simpearls.co.uk/simpearls/index.php?topic=1933.0
The only thing is that I can't remember how that was done - there was a post explaining it but the September questions and comments thread seems to be missing from there. I know it's not quite the same as what you're talking about since there is a floor tile then the wall - but it proves that it can be done without using the little trick ScaryRob mentions.

(I'm going to play around in game and see if I can recreate that lot. I was working on an entry for that contest so I know I did it before, lol.)
Theorist
#12 Old 31st May 2017 at 7:23 AM
Well, I just deleted my previous post because after opening the game and starting to explore the issue, it turns out I have no problem placing a modular stair with only 3 open squares above, provided the moveobject cheat is on (place the floor tile first, then the stair). I'm still not able to place a lateral wall across the top though.
(BTW, that link to simpearls requires a log in.)

After a little more tinkering, I was able to place the stairs with a wall laterally across the top, like this:

With the moveobjects cheat on, place an interior foundation as shown, then place the stairs, which will have to be placed in 2 pieces. This will allow walls to be placed across the top as shown.
There's only one big problem with this, namely, that my Test Sim refuses to use the stairs. So this isn't really a solution - sorry.

And just to repeat part of what I wrote in my earlier post: Making a normal landing with the indoor foundation works perfectly:

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 31st May 2017 at 7:15 PM
The picture at simpearls shows the the stairs open with just three spaces like gabi gets, but it doesn't have a wall at the end of that three tile open space. This issue started I think with M&G, but possibly sooner. I'm guessing M&G since that also introduced the issue with adding interior stairs against walls without having the moveobjects cheat on.

Theorist
#14 Old 31st May 2017 at 7:39 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 31st May 2017 at 8:39 PM.
That settles that.
I suspect the Maxis houses the OP is referring to have typical landings made with interior foundations, although I'd be interested to know which ones they are.
Instructor
#15 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 5:25 AM
YES! i'm having these issues too, i can't use them at all so what i did is just use the normal stairs and i recently built a modern house for the Broke family and put in a bit of a split level for the office and gaming area, but i no matter what i did they just wouldn't place, i added 2 and 2 together and tried 3 squares above with the moveObjects cheat on too and they're still not placing... so i just had to remove the split-level where i wanted to place the stairs and put in the normal stairs, i like modular stairs too because sims can go up and down them without going in each others way but they're just broken.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 5:47 AM
@Pygsmyemm I find that using moveobjects on will help in these situations. It's to do with how the stairs were changed in M&G stuff.
Instructor
#17 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 8:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@Pygsmyemm I find that using moveobjects on will help in these situations. It's to do with how the stairs were changed in M&G stuff.

It just doesn't work with me, i tried and tried even with moveObjects cheat but still refuses, i removed the walls beside and in front of the stairs and same above, i removed reflective floors, bannisters, i moved the plants outside, the computer desks on the split level and still refuses to place but the normal stairs place just fine, just doesn't work anymore.